News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Your top 5 favorite dinosaurs

Started by IHogaRok, December 31, 2012, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

It's difficult for me to only pick 5 dinosaurs, but if I were to choose, I guess these are my favorites:

1. Allosaurus
2. Deinonychus
3. Yutyrannus
4. Suchomimus
5 . Diplodocus

And some honorable mentions:

1. Amargasaurus
2. Styracosaurus
3. Diabloceratops
4. Spinosaurus
5. Borealopelta

sauroid

Tyrannosaurus rex
Styracosaurus
Protoceratops
Brachiosaurus
Triceratops

runner up:
Tarbosaurus
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ITdactyl

I usually avoid rankings, but this turned out to be a good thought experiment. I had my list, then pruned out everything that I thought I only included to be clever.

Turns out childhood favorites stick through the decades. Here are my favorite extinct genera:

Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus
Diplodocus
Giraffatitan
Alamosaurus

If we're to include "birds":

Torrent duck
Pied Hornbill
Philippine Eagle
Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus

Gothmog the Baryonyx

5 is too few, plus aside from the top, my favourite dinosaurs list tends to change. I'll exclude birds.

Baryonyx
Deinonychus
Maiasaura
Chasmosaurus
Iguanodon
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on September 06, 2021, 09:20:57 PM

Quote from: Sim on March 06, 2017, 05:34:21 PM
- Massospondylus, Gallimimus and Stegoceras all seem to be widely known but not very popular.  It seems a bit unfortunate since they all appear to be known from quite complete fossil remains and they all lack a good modern toy representation.

- As for a dinosaur that's popular but not famous, Kulindadromeus maybe?

I now think Gallimimus is quite popular.  When going through this thread again the other day, I noticed someone here said Gallimimus was one of their favourites, and a person who I spoke to offline told me their favourite dinosaur is Gallimimus.  Gallimimus was also one of the most desired species to be made by Safari on this forum.  I haven't ever heard anyone say Massospondylus is one of their favourites, but it was another of the most desired species to be made by Safari.  Stegoceras though doesn't seem popular.  I think only avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres has expressed interest in this one.  Anchiceratops is another dinosaur that seems to be widely known but not very popular.  But perhaps the most obvious one is Compsognathus.  It's famous thanks to appearing in Jurassic Park franchise films but I haven't seen anyone say it's one of their favourites except for avatar_Patrx @Patrx, and I haven't seen much desire for it expressed on this forum.

As for dinosaurs that are popular but not famous, I still think Kulindadromeus might be an example of this.  It was another of the most desired species to be made by Safari on this forum, but I still don't think it's famous.

Stegoceras makes sense to me as one of the most complete (the most complete?) pachycephalosaurs. But yeah, I don't think many others are champing at the bit for one.

Going to the thread's original question, I don't think I have 5 favorite dinosaurs, or prehistoric fish, or anything like that. I might have a few least favorites, but asking for favorites is like asking me to choose a favorite significant other--why would I even want to foreclose other options like that???
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2021, 10:45:56 PM

- Massospondylus, Gallimimus and Stegoceras all seem to be widely known but not very popular.  It seems a bit unfortunate since they all appear to be known from quite complete fossil remains and they all lack a good modern toy representation.

I now think Gallimimus is quite popular.  When going through this thread again the other day, I noticed someone here said Gallimimus was one of their favourites, and a person who I spoke to offline told me their favourite dinosaur is Gallimimus.  Gallimimus was also one of the most desired species to be made by Safari on this forum.  I haven't ever heard anyone say Massospondylus is one of their favourites, but it was another of the most desired species to be made by Safari.  Stegoceras though doesn't seem popular.  I think only avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres has expressed interest in this one.  Anchiceratops is another dinosaur that seems to be widely known but not very popular.  But perhaps the most obvious one is Compsognathus.  It's famous thanks to appearing in Jurassic Park franchise films but I haven't seen anyone say it's one of their favourites except for avatar_Patrx @Patrx, and I haven't seen much desire for it expressed on this forum.

As for dinosaurs that are popular but not famous, I still think Kulindadromeus might be an example of this.  It was another of the most desired species to be made by Safari on this forum, but I still don't think it's famous.

Stegoceras makes sense to me as one of the most complete (the most complete?) pachycephalosaurs. But yeah, I don't think many others are champing at the bit for one.

Going to the thread's original question, I don't think I have 5 favorite dinosaurs, or prehistoric fish, or anything like that. I might have a few least favorites, but asking for favorites is like asking me to choose a favorite significant other--why would I even want to foreclose other options like that???

Exactly how many significant others do you have?  ???

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on September 09, 2021, 11:35:44 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2021, 10:45:56 PM

Exactly how many significant others do you have?  ???

File under "questions with no correct answer." Every non-zero number is simultaneously too many and not nearly enough. I'm kidding of course!  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Can't pick a top 5.

Honourable mentions: Borealopelta markmitchelli, Daspletosaurus horneri, Styracosuarus albertiensis, Torvosaurus tanneri, Gallimimus bullatus, Deinocheirus mirificus, Protoceratops andrewsi, Velociraptor mongoliensis, Udanoceratops tschizhovi, Utahraptor ostrommaysi, Torosaurus latus, Iguanodon bernissartensis

10. Microraptor hui
9. Yutyrannus huali
8. Allosaurus maximus
7. Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus
6. Ankylosaurus magrentavis
5. Gorgosaurus libratus
4. Triceratops horridus
3. Edmontosaurus annectens
2. Tyrannosaurus rex
1. Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

bone crusher

1. Tyrannosaurus Rex by a country mile
2. Giganotosaurus
3. Spinosaurus
4. Argentinosaurus
5. Suchomimus
What can I say, I'm a mega theropod fan, these things are such awesome, ginormous, powerful and beautiful killers of nature that absolutely shame any extant land based animals in sheer awe. I truly wonder what new species of mega theropod we would unearth in the next 50 years.

PhilSauria

I don't usually join in with the lists and polls, but what the heck - sticking with 'the classics';

Triceratops
Apatosaurus (well sauropods in general)
Stegosaurus
Allosaurus
Tyrannosaurus

Grimbeard

1. Boreopelta
2. Iguanodon
3. Torvosaurus
4. Plateosaurus
5. Diplodocus

Duck

1. Giganotosaurus (i know, it's not the most interesting dinosaur, but it was my favorite when I was young.
2. Deinonychus
3. Minmi
4. Irritator
5. Ceratosaurus
He who dwells in pond

Duck

Quote from: bone crusher on September 11, 2021, 12:28:49 PM
1. Tyrannosaurus Rex by a country mile
2. Giganotosaurus
3. Spinosaurus
4. Argentinosaurus
5. Suchomimus
What can I say, I'm a mega theropod fan, these things are such awesome, ginormous, powerful and beautiful killers of nature that absolutely shame any extant land based animals in sheer awe. I truly wonder what new species of mega theropod we would unearth in the next 50 years.
Agree 100% percent. The herbivores and quadrupeds lack the elegance of the theropods.
He who dwells in pond

Gothmog the Baryonyx

To me, most large theropods lack interesting features, but that is probably  a minority opinion
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Duck

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Maybe some do, but the majority have crests or horns. Allosaurids are on the slightly more boring side.
He who dwells in pond

Lynx

Hmmm, this is a tough one. There's so many I adore!

5. Boreopelta (The red isn't neon or anything, it just looks natural.)
4. Riparovenator (Best. Name. Ever.)
3. Metricanthosaurus (Path of Titans reconstruction)
2. Microraptor Hui (Birb.)
1. Pinacosaurus (The most adorable little man I've ever seen.)
An oversized house cat.

Bowhead Whale

Hum... that is a hard one... let me try.

1- TSINTAOSAURUS (unicorn dinosaur)
2- POLACANTHUS (often described in books at my own age, then disappeared from more modern books)
3- MAMENCHISAURUS (what a neck!)
4- IGUANODON (rich history of discovery and mistakes corrected)
5- MEGALOSAURUS (for the same reasons as Iguanodon)

CarnotaurusKing

1. Tyrannosaurus - overpowered as hell (bite force, senses, agility, endurance); beautifully designed; the biggest land predator ever; perfect name
2. Tarbosaurus - the tyrannosaurid version of a giant carnosaur (bone-crushing bite with more blade-like teeth); like Tyrannosaurus, but unique in its own way; really cool name
3. Ceratosaurus - cool looking theropod (horns, large teeth, deep jaw); underdog compared to the contemporary Allosaurus
4. Giganotosaurus - the ultimate sauropod-slayer; big
5. Carnotaurus - cool looking theropod (horns, short skull, thicc tail); like a dinosaurian bullet (little agility, insane speed)

I know, basic choices here (and spots 6-8 are occupied by even more large to medium size theropods), but what can I say, they are just such interesting and awesome animals.

Pliosaurking

Triceratops
Spinosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Suchomimus

Lynx

1. Pinacosaurus, the perfect coffee table
2. Tie between Microraptor and Ceratosaurus, love em both
3. Irritator
4. Utahraptor
5. Any hadrosaur, its hard for me to pick favorites among them
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: