You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Colin Trevorrow plans for future JURASSIC movies

Started by dragon53, September 30, 2022, 03:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Feels like a lack of self awareness on his part, in some way. Why go and make another trilogy of films (or at the very least Jurassic World, since I'm sure the others only came into play after that one made as much as it did) if there shouldn't have been more after the first one? In fact here's the article where that bit was originally mentioned.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/colin-trevorrow-future-jurassic-movies-exclusive

Quote"I specifically did something different than the other films in order to change the DNA of the franchise," he explains – a move taken to provide fresh opportunities down the line. "The previous five films are plots about dinosaurs. This one is a story about characters in a world in which they coexist with dinosaurs. For the franchise to be able to move forward – because it's inherently unfranchisable, there probably should have only been one Jurassic Park – but if we're gonna do it, how can I allow them to tell stories in a world in which dinosaurs exist, as opposed to, here's another reason why we're going to an island?"
Later in the article he does make a point about providing stories for newer generations, but it's not like the old ones wouldn't be around, or the original film. I was born in 1991, several decades after the original trilogy of Star Wars films released, and I still grew up watching them, and enjoying them.

Though the things I have enjoyed for years now, only came about because of this newest trilogy of films, even if I haven't particularly enjoyed them in full (more so the latter two). Specifically the Mattel figures, and the Jurassic World Evolution games. I also found the first three seasons of Camp Cretaceous pretty fun (didn't enjoy the fourth, haven't watched the fifth yet). None of those would have existed without this push for a new film, and specifically the sequels to that one film. The Mattel figures wouldn't have happened, if there wasn't a need to carry on the license after Hasbro's poor attempt, and I doubt the JWE games would have come about either since they were tied to the release of the films.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

I don't even know what to think at this point.

Back in 2015 when I came out in ecstasy after watching the first JW, one of my thoughts was "they don't need to make more, they made up for JP3, and that awesome ending is perfect to finish the series". Maybe I was right.
Quote from: Faelrin on October 02, 2022, 11:04:08 PMLater in the article he does make a point about providing stories for newer generations, but it's not like the old ones wouldn't be around, or the original film. I was born in 1991, several decades after the original trilogy of Star Wars films released, and I still grew up watching them, and enjoying them.

Though the things I have enjoyed for years now, only came about because of this newest trilogy of films, even if I haven't particularly enjoyed them in full (more so the latter two). Specifically the Mattel figures, and the Jurassic World Evolution games. I also found the first three seasons of Camp Cretaceous pretty fun (didn't enjoy the fourth, haven't watched the fifth yet). None of those would have existed without this push for a new film, and specifically the sequels to that one film. The Mattel figures wouldn't have happened, if there wasn't a need to carry on the license after Hasbro's poor attempt, and I doubt the JWE games would have come about either since they were tied to the release of the films.
More or less the same, although in my case I was born too late to experience  the JP era, that's why I'll always treasure the experience I had watching Jurassic World in the cinema, as it was the first JP movie I ever watched on a theater (stupid me missed the 20th anniversary re-release in cinema two years prior). Same with the toys and merch, the only thing I had was the JP3 Spinosaurus at age 4, and a few years later, JPOG.

So of course, these years have been a bless for me with the Mattel toys, the JW Evolution games, and all the merchandise and brand presence, the franchise was popular again, I could see Jurassic everywhere. A child`s dream come true, everything that  I wish I had back then I have it right now.

And I still love the first JW film, despite it´s flaws and some stupid moments and I think is a good/decent film, rewatched it in preparation for Dominion and I still enjoyed it. And oh boy does it infuriate me when people just trash it, but I'm not gonna waste my time fighting with someone, as much as I want to. But it is sad for me that people disregard it thanks to Fallen Kingdom and Dominion.

Perhaps Fallen Kingdom and Dominion should have never been made, but they delivered a lot of enjoyment in the forms of toys, video games, merchandise, and seeing my favorite franchise being relevant and popular again (and some good scenes). So if you asked me if I could go back in time and choose between the franchise ending on a decent point with the first JW, but losing the toys, games, merchandise and fan experience, or leave it as is, not losing all that but at the cost of the films going downhill again, I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Carnoking

Interesting counterpoints, I never even
considered that without the sequels we probably wouldn't have gotten the Mattel line (which might have been good for my shelves and wallet  ;D)

I think it's fair to say that no one really anticipated the runaway success of the original Jurassic World. The previous franchise had ended on a sour note before being put on ice for well over a decade, and that combination probably instilled a lot of doubt in the viability of a new series of movies, shows, games, and merch. Even the movie itself seemed to have been instilled with a sense of finality like I mentioned. There were ideas left unresolved for a potential sequel (Wu's secret deal) but by and large it felt open and shut in case the film didn't impress at the box office. But lo and behold, it became one of the highest grossing films of all time and that all but guaranteed we'd get more.

A video game still may have come to be based off of JW alone but yes it seems Jurassic-mania is back in full swing thanks to the new trilogy and there are negative and positives to take away from that.

Halichoeres

I remember reading the Lost World novel when I was a kid and even then thinking that it felt silly and tacked-on. The only real opening the original novel left for a follow-up was the observation that escaped dinosaurs had picked up behavioral adaptations to lysine deficiency, and that was just totally ignored for the ludicrous Site B story line.

I'm sympathetic to the argument that JW has possibly resulted in a resurgence in popularity for prehistoric life. I don't have any way to know the answer to this, but I really wonder if another story that wasn't laden with the narrative constraints and outdated designs of JP couldn't have accomplished the same thing. I've said this before, but one of my problems with JW and its sequels is that they are probably choking out any other dinosaur-themed entertainment that could exist in their absence. I'm glad we got Prehistoric Planet, but there ought to be room for high-quality fiction too, which JW just is not in my opinion.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 03, 2022, 07:14:15 PMI'm sympathetic to the argument that JW has possibly resulted in a resurgence in popularity for prehistoric life. I don't have any way to know the answer to this, but I really wonder if another story that wasn't laden with the narrative constraints and outdated designs of JP couldn't have accomplished the same thing. I've said this before, but one of my problems with JW and its sequels is that they are probably choking out any other dinosaur-themed entertainment that could exist in their absence. I'm glad we got Prehistoric Planet, but there ought to be room for high-quality fiction too, which JW just is not in my opinion.

This!

I don't mind the continuation of the Jurassic franchise. I've enjoyed most of the movies on some metric and have certainly enjoyed the toys, video games, and other merchandise that came about as a result of the franchise's continuation. But, the Jurassic franchise has a strong hold on dinosaur related media and has for a very long time now. I remember when Peter Jackson's Kong came out I was so happy to FINALLY have a dinosaur movie that wasn't Jurassic Park (or a cheap JP knockoff cash grab) and that was in 2005. Since before Jurassic World was even announced I wanted to see more and different dinosaur movies of a quality similar to Jurassic Park. Still waiting. 

Carnoking

I wonder if studios took the wrong lessons from 2013's Walking With Dinosaurs. That bombed hard back in the day when it could have been the next big prehistoric experience, and instead of thinking maybe it had something to do with the painfully tacked on voiceovers and/or juvenile humor and simplistic story, execs probably just assumed dinosaurs were no longer in vogue.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Wouldn't surprise me considering the out of touch decisions that resulted in it bombing in the first place. I'm sure if it was just left as the original vision it would have done much better. That said, at least the version narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch was pretty decent. A good way to salvage all the work that was involved in it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.