News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What's your favorite prehistoric life/dinosaur toy or model from 2020?

Started by Carnoking, December 31, 2020, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Despite all the 2020 shenanigans, I think this was actually a fairly decent year for dinosaur offerings, even and especially towards the end of the year!

Out of all the figures I got, here are my personal favorites from their respective brands:

Nanmu Tyrannosaurus rex "Alpha"

PNSO Spinosaurus "Essiein"

Mattel Amber Collection Dilophosaurus

Safari Ltd. Edmontosaurus

REBOR Carnotaurus Skull Odditiy

What are your favorites from the year?

Halichoeres

We used to do a poll every year of everyone's favorite figures. I found the experience of running it a bit frustrating the one time I tried it, but I'd be willing to give it another go if folks want to use this thread as the shortlist?

As for me, I'm still waiting for a bunch of PNSO figures, so I'm not sure yet which of those would make the cut, but apart from those I really liked:

CollectA Lisowicia
CollectA Pleuroceras
CollectA Redlichia
Safari Edmontosaurus
Safari Sarcosuchus
Safari Shringasaurus
W-Dragon Giraffatitan

I also got some resin figures I really loved, but they might not fit so well in this list.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

John

In no particular order,some of the best in my opinion this year:
Safari Ltd. Qianzhousaurus
Safari Ltd. 2020 Deinonychus
Beasts Of The Mesozoic Styracosaurus
Beasts Of The Mesozoic Protoceratops
PNSO Lambeosaurus
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

Some of these figures I have not acquired yet, but just from images I can tell they are beautiful.
PNSO Corythosaurus
PNSO Lambeosaurus
PNSO Tyrannosaurus (Winter Wilson)
PNSO Miragaia
Safari Ltd. Shringasaurus
Safari Ltd. Edmontosaurus
CollectA Fukuisaurus

I love the amount of hadrosaurs we have been receiving lately!

Gwangi

Although I don't have them yet I'm fairly convinced that the PNSO Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus are my favorite figures of 2020. I'll be getting them soon, after the dust settles from the holiday season.

stargatedalek

PNSO Baby Tyrannosaurus.

Honorable mentions for the Mattel Troodon and Amber Collection Dilophosaurus, and Favorite Kinto vinyl Dromaeosaur.

Carnoking

I too have several PNSO models on the way, and I don't doubt that they'll take the crown as some favorites for the year.

bmathison1972

Tough call, but for starters I'd say the CollectA Lisowicia or Safari Shringasaurus

PrimevalRaptor

There's been quite a few cool ones but I only got my hands on a handful of them, definitely the Safari Deinonychus, it's just a really great feathered dromaeosaur in a very naturalistic pose, love it.

Baryonyx

Without a doubt the PNSO hadrosaurs are absolute game changers. They look so realistic and devoid of stylisation almost as though they are 'photoreal' to me.
Equally impressed by the Spinosaurus, especially the vivid and generous reconstruction of soft tissue of the head and neck, if you see what I mean.

Am so chuffed to have finally gotten the Safari Ltd Edmontosaurus which has wonderful and expressive heft & poise. The  sculptural style is beautiful and perfectly shows the bulk  of this animal. It is wonderful in-hand.
(Sorry to ramble about already mentioned figures)

Otherwise, I am too very fond of the CollectA Bajadasaurus. It is really charming. Somehow I like its very simple paint scheme and it is great to get sauropods in the 1:40 range!

And PNSO Machairoceratops is great. Apart from the detail etc, I also like its modest size. Added a  dull coat to the face and used Tamiya Panel Liner to get the eyes looking more like the prototype. Recommend!
Would love to get the new Wilson, looks fantastic.

Faelrin

Edit: avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I think that would be a good idea, if you have the energy or interest in doing so.

Since we usually have 10 to pick in those polls, I guess right off the bat I would vote for the (to be more fair I am limiting myself to two per company tops, because we all know PNSO and BotM would be dominating this list):

-CollectA Lisowicia
-CollectA Redlichia (or Orthoceras, hard to decide)
-PNSO Lambeosaurus
-PNSO Spinosaurus
-BotM Psittacosaurus
-BotM Styracosaurus
-Safari Ltd Deinonychus
-Safari Ltd Edmontosaurus
-I-Toy Paraceratherium (if huge expensive figures like this are allowed)
-Wild Past Protoceratops
-Mattel Jurassic World Scutosaurus (if the I-Toy Paraceratherium is not included)

Where do I begin? While I don't have any of these in hand yet, I am eagerly anticipating the Beasts of the Mesozoic ceratopsians, and while I guess this is probably technically a 2021 release, nonetheless I am really looking forward to all the wonderful Paleozoic critter models for the LIFE game that O @Oammararak has worked on.

I also haven't had a chance (what with catching covid and the financial trouble it has caused) yet with getting the new PNSO figures, such as the Tuojiangosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus, and Spinosaurus, etc.

Of the new for 2020 figures I got my hands on, the Safari Ltd Deinonychus takes the cake, though I do think the other Safari Ltd releases this year such as the Edmontosaurus, was wonderfully done as well too.

I think the Rebor Titanoboa is up there as well, because while it isn't the most accurate take, it is a sorely needed one, and it is a beautifully done model, with some really fun posability on it. 

I also cannot forget the Wild Past Protoceratops. Easily one of the best Protoceratops figures made yet. Many props to avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector and his team that helped work on it.

I also do not yet have any of CollectA's new models, but the invertebrates were sorely needed, and the Lisowicia was a beautiful and unexpected release, of not only a newly discovered animal, but of a dicynodont, which are extremely neglected in the toy market.

As far as Mattel's releases go, I really appreciate the raptors in the classic JP color scheme that were released, even if simply repaints. I also really like the Sarcosuchus, Postosuchus, Majungasaurus, and Scutosaurus. I'm not sure if the Troodon is technically a 2020 or 2021 release, but my god, they really did a figure from a creature in a game that's considered soft canon from like ten years ago now. While the line has certainly had many downs, it does have some ups, and it is clear they take fan feedback into consideration on what to make. It probably also helps that folks on the team are fans of JP and prehistoric animals too. Edit: I can't believe I forgot about the Amber Collection Dilophosaurus. Granted I haven't yet had the chance to get my hands on one yet either. Such a wonderful figure, and also works well as a proper adult animal in the 3.75 scale.

Also I can't forget the I-Toy Paraceratherium either. Long needed take on this animal, and huge as it should be (though maybe too big in some cases).

So in short, I really like a lot of the models released this year, but yeah if I had to pick only just one it would be the Safari Ltd Deinonychus, a long needed beautiful take on this animal, which obviously is a hard choice with how spoiled we have been for figures this year, despite everything.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

Kinda hard to pick, so here are some on top of my head sorry if I got the year wrong
Winter Wilson
Gr Spinosaurus
Eofauna Altasaurus
Mojo Giganotosaurus2020(in my collection)
Mojo Tyrannosaurus 2020(in my collection)
Mojo Spinosaurus (In my collection)
PNSO Essien
W dragon Giganotosaurus
Nanmu giganotosaurus
Nanmu apatosaurus
Nanmu Spinosaurus

ceratopsian

It's been a good year for models and hard to list the best: my stab, alphabetically by company.

Chasmosaurus, by BotM
Medusaceratops, by BotM
Triceratops juvenile, by BoTM

Lisowicia, by CollectA
Caviramus, by CollectA
Microraptor, by CollectA

Miragaia, by PNSO (not seen in hand)
Tuojangosaurus, by PNSO (not seen in hand)
Lambeosaurus, by PNSO (not seen in hand)
Corythosaurus, by PNSO (not seen in hand)
Sinoceratops (adult) by PNSO, (not seen in hand)
Machairoceratops, by PNSO (not seen in hand)
A-Qi, the Young Sinoceratops, by PNSO

Edmontosaurus, by Wild Safari

I'd be tempted to add the Tiantaiosaurus by Vitae - but mine's still in transit and I'm not sufficiently sure  yet!

Shonisaurus

My favorite figures of 2020 are the following:

Nanmu giganotosaurus,

GR Toys spinosaurus the two color versions.

PNSO, borealopelta, qianzhousaurus, corythosaurus, tuijiangosaurus, tyrannosaurus, and sauropelta.

Schleich baryonyx

Collecta saltriovenator, bajadasaurus, lisowicia, megalodon, and prehistoric marine invertebrates (all broadly speaking).

Safari deinonychus, edmontosaurus, ichythiosaurus, pachycephalosaurus, qianzhosaurus, and sarcosuchus.

W-Dragon giganotosaurus

Among other beauties.

Sim

Safari Deinonychus and Qianzhousaurus.  Potentially also the Vitae Jinyunpelta anf some PNSO dinosaurs but I haven't got them yet so I can't say for sure.

indohyus

Loon

2020 was a bit of a blurr, collection-wise. I honestly have a bit of a hard time remembering what exactly I got that was new that year, at least sometimes.

I guess, if I were to really narrow it down:

1. I-Toy Paraceratherium
2. PNSO Corythosaurus (when it doesn't fall over)
3. CollectA Lisowicia
4. Safari Edmontosaurus

Wallnut

PNSO Pachyrinosaurus
PNSO Spinosaurus
PNSO Wilson T rex (winter wilson)
Schleich Baryonyx
Safari Qianzhousaurus
Safari Sarcosuchus
Safari Edmontosaurus
Collecta Saltriovenator
W-Dragon Girafititan
Schleich Ankylosaurus
Schleich baryonyx and ankylosaurus are one of the best dinosaur toys ever made by schleich other ones are amazing.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.