News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, January 30, 2020, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking, I watched your unboxing video and since you got it from Dan's Dinosaurs I would contact Dan about it.  D @Dino Scream3232 did that for his Wilson and Dan sent him a replacement.  If you still want to contact PNSO you can do that through their Amazon store.  I hope you get a replacement!

Sim

Quote from: Mattyonyx on October 09, 2020, 03:05:35 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 09, 2020, 01:15:46 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on October 09, 2020, 12:28:18 PM
I gathered some In-Hand pictures of the PNSO Microraptor: https://www.paleo-nerd.com/news/pnso-microraptor-e-sneak-peek-borealopelta/

I've already ordered it on Amazon and it's been shipped yesterday, so I can't wait to see it in person. Based on the pictures, I like the snout being darker than shown in the promo pictures, and the pose is my favourite among all the currently produced Microraptor figures.
[...]

That is a great looking Microraptor, just a shame it's not fully accurate. It's SO close that the small things bother me (the crest was been debunked years ago, lack of alula, etc.)

Can you tell me more about the crest and the alula? Is there any figure that has the latter? I thought the only "inaccuracy" was the exposed teeth...

From what I remember, the crest is now thought to be displaced feathers as other Microraptor specimens lack it.  As for the alula, it can be seen in the Microraptor gui holotype near the left first finger's claw.  If I'm remembering right it was identified in a paper that might be the one that named M. gui.  As stargatedalek mentioned, the Carnegie Collection Microraptor has the alula, although in at least some it was painted like a finger with a claw.  The Wild Safari Microraptor and Beasts of the Mesozoic Microraptor also have the alula.

As for this PNSO Microraptor, the tail fan is also inaccurate as seen when compared to this Microraptor fossil: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-representative-Microraptor-zhaoianus-fossil-showing-body-wing-hind-limb-and-tail_fig2_256102089

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on July 23, 2021, 08:14:43 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on October 09, 2020, 03:05:35 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 09, 2020, 01:15:46 PM
Quote from: Mattyonyx on October 09, 2020, 12:28:18 PM
I gathered some In-Hand pictures of the PNSO Microraptor: https://www.paleo-nerd.com/news/pnso-microraptor-e-sneak-peek-borealopelta/

I've already ordered it on Amazon and it's been shipped yesterday, so I can't wait to see it in person. Based on the pictures, I like the snout being darker than shown in the promo pictures, and the pose is my favourite among all the currently produced Microraptor figures.
[...]

That is a great looking Microraptor, just a shame it's not fully accurate. It's SO close that the small things bother me (the crest was been debunked years ago, lack of alula, etc.)

Can you tell me more about the crest and the alula? Is there any figure that has the latter? I thought the only "inaccuracy" was the exposed teeth...

From what I remember, the crest is now thought to be displaced feathers as other Microraptor specimens lack it.  As for the alula, it can be seen in the Microraptor gui holotype near the left first finger's claw.  If I'm remembering right it was identified in a paper that might be the one that named M. gui.  As stargatedalek mentioned, the Carnegie Collection Microraptor has the alula, although in at least some it was painted like a finger with a claw.  The Wild Safari Microraptor and Beasts of the Mesozoic Microraptor also have the alula.

As for this PNSO Microraptor, the tail fan is also inaccurate as seen when compared to this Microraptor fossil: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-representative-Microraptor-zhaoianus-fossil-showing-body-wing-hind-limb-and-tail_fig2_256102089

Keep in mind that the species issue in Microraptor has not yet been resolved. As far as we know, M. gui and M. zhaoianus and maybe a few others could be distinct species. So things like the tail fan shape, which does seem to be somewhat variable between specimens, can't necessarily be counted as inaccurate at the moment. Other stuff like the crest and the lack of alula are clearly wrong, because both were based on simple mistakes (the crest feathers are not any longer than the neck feathers, so there's no reason to think it's a crest and not just feathers on the back of the head moved up by water action. The lack of alula is based on a mistake on the part of artists who sculpt these things without an alula despite it being clear as day in some of the most famous fossils).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

stargatedalek

I don't see how M. gui and M. zhaoianus could possibly not be distinct species, M. zhaoianus is practically a fifth the size.

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 26, 2021, 12:05:05 PM
Keep in mind that the species issue in Microraptor has not yet been resolved. As far as we know, M. gui and M. zhaoianus and maybe a few others could be distinct species. So things like the tail fan shape, which does seem to be somewhat variable between specimens, can't necessarily be counted as inaccurate at the moment. Other stuff like the crest and the lack of alula are clearly wrong, because both were based on simple mistakes (the crest feathers are not any longer than the neck feathers, so there's no reason to think it's a crest and not just feathers on the back of the head moved up by water action. The lack of alula is based on a mistake on the part of artists who sculpt these things without an alula despite it being clear as day in some of the most famous fossils).

Regarding the tail fan, the paper on Microraptor's colour suggests the tail fans appear to be the same in different specimens, including what I believe is the M. gui holotype and a specimen of M. zhaoianus: http://mostlyopenocean.blogspot.com/2012/04/colour-of-dinosaurs.html

I've never seen a Microraptor with a tail fan that looks like PNSO's.  If M. zhaoianus and M. gui have tail fans that don't look like PNSO's, it could only be acceptable for M. hanqingi perhaps?  The Paper that names it says M. hanqingi is preserved with vestiges of distal tail feathers but I can't make any out in the photo of the holotype that's provided.  As for the crest and lack of alula, I wonder if they could be considered possible for a Microraptor species which doesn't preserve feathers from those areas.  M. hanqingi again perhaps?  I think all the proposed Microraptor species are the same one though so I think the crest and lack of alula are inaccurate.

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 26, 2021, 07:14:38 PM
I don't see how M. gui and M. zhaoianus could possibly not be distinct species, M. zhaoianus is practically a fifth the size.

That doesn't seem to be correct.  According to the Theropod Database, the M. zhaoianus holotype is 42cm long while the M. gui holotype is 77cm long.  If it were one fifth the size of gui, zhaoianus would be only 15.4cm long!  Additionally, the M. zhaoianus specimen that had its colour found is 54cm long.  Source: https://theropoddatabase.com/Dromaeosaurs.htm#Microraptorzhaoianus

Sim

Has anyone acquired the PNSO Sinoceratops recently?  If so, does it still have gloss on its face?  I had one but gave it away to a young child because I disliked the gloss on its face.  I've been feeling that I do want to have it though so I'm planning to order it again.  If somewhere has copies without the gloss on the face I think I would get it from there.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.