News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

X-Plus/Star Ace

Started by Over9K, February 09, 2020, 03:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

OVER9K:

I reduced the size of photo of the Rhedosaurus' foot on the car so it would fit easier on this forum. On the original photo, the foot is about 4.2 inches long and the car is about 8.5 inches long.
In the movie photos of the Rhedosaurus holding a car in its mouth and the Star Ace model diorama, the car is always no longer than the Rhedosaurus' jaw (from snout to end of jaw). So I found a 1/58 scale car that is about 3.4 inches long (as confirmed by a Youtuber who owns one) that is the ideal size in that it also matches the size of the diorama car.
With the Ymir and the Rhedosaurus, the size of the monster in the movie varies from scene to scene, so I'm letting the Star Ace model and the scene below be my definitive reference source.
Also, the internet movie car base identifies all the cars in THE BEAST FROM 20 THOUSAND FATHOMS, and the crushed car is a fictional one designed by Harryhausen.
I would have been better off buying the diorama version with base and ID.

Blade-of-the-Moon

My Ymir came in today!

Without the light post I'm pretty sure this guy is in 1:1 scale too :D

I was charged for The Kraken the other day too, so it should be shipping soon.  Probably going to slow up after it and Gwangi, I didn't see any new monsters really being made. Bubo is neat but not a monster, kinda feel the same on Talsos and Shiva.  Might get the skeletons I don't know yet.  Bring on Medusa, Hydra and more creatures.

dragon53

Congratulations on the Ymir. As I said before, I got a free Ymir with the Sony dvd set many years ago, but the Star Ace looks great.

In the photos, on the shelf  the grey T Rex to the right of the Cyclops' shoulder and to the left of the orange Sauropod looks like a giant version of the old Marx T Rex from my childhood.
What is it?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on February 11, 2022, 02:42:01 PM
Congratulations on the Ymir. As I said before, I got a free Ymir with the Sony dvd set many years ago, but the Star Ace looks great.

In the photos, on the shelf  the grey T Rex to the right of the Cyclops' shoulder and to the left of the orange Sauropod looks like a giant version of the old Marx T Rex from my childhood.
What is it?

Was it a large one?  I saw a set that included Gwangi, but I wasn't super impressed with the sculpt.

It and the Brontosaurus, as wel las a Stegosaurus ( not  shown) are Marx.  They were part of the super rare Flinstones Hunting Party set.  Just beautiful pieces. If they weren't so rare I might consider painting them.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

This is the set I bought as a very kid for only $1.00. My T Rex was grey, like the one in the photo, and my Brontosaurus was green like the one in the photo. My guess is the Marx T Rex is about 3" high.
A few years ago, one of these blister packs unopened sold for way over $100 on ebay---and the dinosaur colors were different from mine. I'd pay big bucks for an original set if the colors were right.

As I said before, I think the Marx T Rex was about 3" high---there's one on ebay that's listed as 7" long (no height listed).

LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353904794754?hash=item52665e9c82:g:atUAAOSwCyZiBb~A

Blade-of-the-Moon

ebay would be your best chance for a set like that, or maybe Dejankins or Demarxo?   My  hunting party Rex is about 8" tall and 12" long.

dragon53

I googled the Marx Flintstones dinosaur set and found a good photo of its T Rex---it is a larger version of the original Marx T Rex. The other Flintstones dinosaurs appear to be different sculpts.

I was watching the colorized 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH two weeks ago, and noticed the movie Ymir is a bright green, but my Sony Ymir figure is a pale green---so I'm thinking of buying the Star Ace version. The Sony Ymir is 7" high and its scale/skin texture detail appear to be better than the Star Ace, but the Star Ace is bigger and has the correct color.

The Sony Ymir figure's green is actually less bright than the one in the photo.

Over9K

D @dragon53,

X-Plus has actually done the Giant Cephalopod from Mysterious Island once before, in 2002, as part of a line of Harryhausen character chess pieces. The piece is 10cm/4in tall and includes a base. So it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for X-Plus to do another version of this creature.

dragon53

OVER9K:

Thanks. I already have the X-Plus Cephalopod  plus two Hydras, the four pieces from FIRST MEN ON THE MOON, the medium-sized Cyclops and Dragon, etc.

I would like to see the Cephalopod, Hydra and Flying Saucer in a larger size by Star ace since they are among my favorite Harryhausen designs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on February 11, 2022, 04:17:19 PM
I googled the Marx Flintstones dinosaur set and found a good photo of its T Rex---it is a larger version of the original Marx T Rex. The other Flintstones dinosaurs appear to be different sculpts.

I was watching the colorized 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH two weeks ago, and noticed the movie Ymir is a bright green, but my Sony Ymir figure is a pale green---so I'm thinking of buying the Star Ace version. The Sony Ymir is 7" high and its scale/skin texture detail appear to be better than the Star Ace, but the Star Ace is bigger and has the correct color.

The Sony Ymir figure's green is actually less bright than the one in the photo.

Yeah, they are but fantastic ones. 

I prefer the black and white version of the film, but it's hard to clarify color and detail. I guess it depends what you go by.  The new Ymir seems to have the correct detail for the puppet, the color being colorized later is just based on that. My piece looks darker than the promo photos.

You can over detail, some companies thins it makes it more realistic.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I'm waiting to see more Star Ace Ymir reviews on Youtube. The only one I've seen is by the guy who's on the Harryhausen Foundation which worked with Star Ace, so I want to see a more objective reviews.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on February 13, 2022, 12:35:20 AM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

I'm waiting to see more Star Ace Ymir reviews on Youtube. The only one I've seen is by the guy who's on the Harryhausen Foundation which worked with Star Ace, so I want to see a more objective reviews.

They are hard to find. Most people want to keep good relations with a company so invariably find everything from either good/nice to Wow/awesome no matter what.   I personally like it. The size is good, detail is nice, I don't think the Deluxe version is worth the extra money, I also don't care for the eye movement both it and the Cyclops share, it's just sort of unnecessary. I'd rather they made an Asian Elephant in scale with it so we could use it with either the Ymir or Gwangi.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

This is Star Ace's official photo of the Ymir, which I assume is the prototype model. Does your production model Ymir look EXACTLY like the prototype Ymir in the photo, particularly the fine skin texturing on the Ymir's chest?.......or does the prototype Ymir have better skin texture detail?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: dragon53 on February 19, 2022, 07:29:06 AM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

This is Star Ace's official photo of the Ymir, which I assume is the prototype model. Does your production model Ymir look EXACTLY like the prototype Ymir in the photo, particularly the fine skin texturing on the Ymir's chest?.......or does the prototype Ymir have better skin texture detail?

High-Resolution picture (4712 × 3690) :  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/51840890474/in/dateposted-public/

:)

Blade-of-the-Moon

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 19, 2022, 08:37:35 AM
BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

High-Resolution picture (4712 × 3690) :  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/51840890474/in/dateposted-public/

That's pretty much what I'm seeing on mine as well.

dragon53

ROBINGOODFELLOW:

Thanks very much for the photo---so the Ymir is your own model?

Below is a an internet photo (about actual size) of the Sony 7" polystone Ymir I got with the dvd set. Two larger, numbered, limited edition versions with Harryhausen's signaure were also released (see links below).
Based on the Star Ace photos, the Sony 7" Ymir has better scale detail, but it's green paint is too dark and only one shade vs. the Star Ace Ymir.

After seeing your photo plus the Star Ace prototype photos, I'm leaning towards getting the Star Ace Ymir. I posted elsewhere that I think the Star Ace Rhedosaur's scale/skin detail is too chunky, so I was also worried about the Star Ace Ymir's scale/skin also being too chunky.

SIGNATURE YMIR BRONZE: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-licensed-ray-harryhausen-1833815642

SIGNATURE YMIR POLYSTONE: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ray-harryhausen-ymir-statue-20-454668529

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd do my best to compare the details with the original film puppet?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: dragon53 on February 19, 2022, 11:18:53 PM
ROBINGOODFELLOW:

Thanks very much for the photo---so the Ymir is your own model?

..as you can see on the link, there is a label on the picture (up/right) saying " RobinGoodfellow Collection" so, yes, it's my own model..
Regards

dragon53

ROBINGOODFELLOW:

Yes, I saw your logo on the photo,. so I wanted to confirm the photo is of your production Ymir and not Star Ace's prototype---I'm sometimes wary of a company's prototype photos because they make the upcoming model look better than it really turns out to be.
I'm leaning towards the Star Ace Ymir deluxe version with the lamp post and figure diorama because it looks pretty good, but the price is somewhat steep.

When I got my Sony 7" Ymir many years ago, I looked for a 7" Asian elephant for a diorama, but couldn't find one, and still can't after searching this weekend. Overall, the Star ace Ymir looks a lot better in terms of the accurate green, etc.

Do you have any comments on your Ymir figure?

Thanks again for the Ymir photo---it is helping make a decision on the Star Ace version.

dragon53

BLADE-OF-THE-MOON:

Your suggestion about looking at Harryhausen's original models he used led me to search for photos of his original Ymir and I don't think the models I saw were the actual originals.
I did find photos that apparently are  Harryhausen's original Rhedosaurus model. I saw an article which suggested he used two---a 12" and a 6".

I also saw photos of Harryhausen models in various museum exhibitions---some are obviously his original models, but some look like they might be refined versions done later.

Also, I got the Star Ace Rhedosaur without the diorama, which I regret. So I got a 1/58 scale 1951 NYPD car as a substitute for the scene in which the NYPD cops arrive and shoot at the Rhedosaur with shotguns after he ate the first cop---it was suppose to arrive last Friday but the USPS has rerouted it to The Twilight Zone, and it may arrive when GODZILLA VS. RHEDOSAUR VS. KONG premiers in theaters and on Netflix.

TRIVIA: if you look closely at the NYPD cops shooting shotguns at the Rhedosaur, one if them is the same cop that was eaten by the Rhedosaur in the earlier scene.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: