News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Shark Week

Started by Dean Nonychus, August 10, 2020, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean Nonychus

So as I'm sure we all know, it's Shark Week y'all.

I wanted to know, what's everyone's favourite Prehistoric sharks?

Are we Megalodon fans? What about Helicoprions? Maybe we have a rogue Eel Shark fan in the group?

Also, fun shark facts and photos of pre-historic shark toys very much appreciated.
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

Martwad

Can't really say I have a favorite, but as an alumnist of Idaho State University, I'll say it's Helicoprion.

CityRaptor

Not really interested in sharks, but I would say Hybodus. I mean, this thing has been around from the Late Permian to the Late Cretaceous, that's rather impressive.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

laticauda

I guess I am a fan of the weird.  My favorite type of sharks are the hammerheads, but if I am going to pick a prehistoric shark I suppose it would be Edestus.  A scissor-toothed shark that could grow to the size of a modern great white.  Awesome.

Gwangi

Sharks are some of my favorite animals, and always have been. But I have to admit that prehistoric sharks never caught my attention much. I think that's because I'm so fixated on the extant species. For the sake of answering the question though, I'll pick Xenacanthus, the freshwater shark from the Devonian. That there used to be more species of freshwater sharks fascinates me and I wish there were more extant freshwater sharks today. I'm probably in the minority on that one.

As for Shark Week. I started watching it before it was even called Shark Week. Originally it aired around the time of the Super Bowl, so it was called Shark Bowl. I remember the commercials for it with a cartoon scuba diver wearing a referee shirt, they really tried to apply the appeal of American football to sharks. It was weird. Anyway, back then I would record every episode of Shark Week onto VHS tapes. I still have the entire 1996 Shark Week. But even as far back as 20 years ago I began to notice just how sensational and exploitative Shark Week was. They would focus way too much attention on shark attacks (appealing when I was a kid) instead of on shark science, and conservation. And it's never changed, it's probably gotten worse. If it bleeds it leads, as they say. Occasionally they have some good content but I don't generally participate in Shark Week and have not for a long time. That said, I feel like the overall public attitude about sharks has improved over the years.

I'm actually reading the Steve Alten Meg series right now. I'm on book four. I was never interested in them because I already had an idea of what they were like and how sloppy the science was. But in much the same way I enjoy cheesy movies I am actually enjoying these books. They're making for a nice escape from the real-world issues we're all dealing with, helping me survive summer 2020.

Dean Nonychus

Gwangi, I never knew that about the origins of the event and I agree, when you've got species so diverse that Great Whites, Basking and Cow Sharks are under the same banner, you don't need to look too far back to find something fascinating.
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

Halichoeres

I'm the worst ichthyologist to have missed this thread. I love xenacanthids, but also the weird eellike sharks like Thrinacodus. But among sharks in the broad, loose sense (including all the chondrichthyans), I have to say iniopterygians. They're just so fantastically weird.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.