News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs by Burger King

Started by DinoToyForum, May 13, 2012, 08:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

When Walking with Dinosaurs was first released, Burger King launched a promotional tie-in in the UK. I think the figures were mentioned in passing on the Dinosaur Toy Forum Archive, but I don't think they ever had a thread of their own.

Each week of the promotion BK gave away a different skeleton. I think there are more in the series - there was an Ornithocheirus at least - but here's what I have:

From back to front:Torosaurus, Coelophysis, Diplodocus, Ophthalmosaurus.

There are some weird things going on with the anatomy; the Torosaurus has no orbits, the ichthyosaur has odd limbs indeed; but overall they aren't too bad.  O:-) 

DinoWight

Gosh, I remember these, not sure what happened to my Coelophysis or Torosaurus, I know I've got the Opthalmosaurus tucked away somewhere, and the Diplodocus ended up fixed to a steam lorry in a "One of our Dinosaurs is Missing" homage!

Massively miffed that I missed the Ornithocheirus, why did they make them so hard to get hold of in that range?

Horridus

The forelimbs on that Diplodocus...  :o
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoWight on May 13, 2012, 08:46:16 PM
Gosh, I remember these, not sure what happened to my Coelophysis or Torosaurus, I know I've got the Opthalmosaurus tucked away somewhere, and the Diplodocus ended up fixed to a steam lorry in a "One of our Dinosaurs is Missing" homage!

Massively miffed that I missed the Ornithocheirus, why did they make them so hard to get hold of in that range?

I'd half forgotten about mine too. Found them recently in a box with some other old dinos. You must untuck your Ophthalmosaurus! Welcome to the forum by the way - good to see you on here :)

Jetoar

Good memories! ^-^. The only that I don´t have is Ophtalmosaurus skeleton. I like Coelophysis skeleton, it is cool.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

Well I guess they have their issues but they may be the best fast food toys I've ever seen. Wish we would get something like that in the U.S.

Jetoar

Quote from: Gwangi on August 08, 2012, 12:25:59 AM
Well I guess they have their issues but they may be the best fast food toys I've ever seen. Wish we would get something like that in the U.S.

I thought that you had these promotion in U.S. but yo can look for in Internet if you have luck.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Duna

It's been many years, but this belongs to here ...  ^-^

I bought this complete collection recently on eBay, the 1998 Walking with dinosaurs 5 skeletons made for Burger King in their mint packages, along with the cardboard box and two leaflets of the promotion. I opened them, of course, to have a look at the species fact sheets inside that are really nice. I also have about 8 skeletons more without the packages which I bought from a seller in Spain (I don't recall the promotion at all).

Here are the pictures, you can click on them to enlarge:

The leaflet. As you can see, it advertised the Toyway figures, too. And the back side of the carry box:

The skeletons overall are very nice (click to enlarge the pictures).
My favourite one is the Ornitocheirus, no doubt. It's the best one, very large, though it has some strange hands, but it's a majestic figure.
The Torosaurus has no eye orbits, as it has been stated. The hands are sprayed to the sides.
The coelophysis is well done but it looks like it had an extra set o metatarsals over the feet.
The diplodocus surely has no pronated arms, but the other way round.
The ophtalmosaurus is quite good, but they have made the scapula as an strange part of the arm.

I think they are one of the best promotional dinosaur articles ever made, they are large, the sheets are very colourful just like the pictures shown in the book. On the other side of the sheets there are the instructions to mount the skeletons.
In the inside on the ribs there is a small space where it can be read:
MFG FOR BURGER KING CORP
WWD TM BBC 1998
MADE IN CHINA

Dusty Wren

Oh, wow, that's a great find, avatar_Duna @Duna. Congrats! I especially like the Ophthalmosaurus, even if its shoulder is in a weird place.
Check out my customs thread!

Faelrin

Wow those look great. Congrats on finding these and scoring a complete set, and with the box too.

They almost look like they'd display great with the Mattel Jurassic World STEM ones from 2018 too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bowhead Whale

indohyus

Well done for the complete set! See these on eBay quite a bit

MLMjp

Those were also released in Spain.

I used to have the Torosaurus skeleton.

Those damn horns never wanted to stay in place!

Duna

Quote from: indohyus on June 23, 2021, 10:50:28 PM
Well done for the complete set! See these on eBay quite a bit
There's one lot still on sale.

Quote from: MLMjp on June 23, 2021, 11:37:15 PM
Those were also released in Spain.

I used to have the Torosaurus skeleton.

Those damn horns never wanted to stay in place!
They don't!  ;D

GojiraGuy1954

Number 15
Mesozoic Foot Lettuce
The last thing you'd want in your burger king burger is 66 million year old foot fungus, but as it turns out, that might be what you get
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Interesting, I had never heard of these, bit to be fair, back when I was a kid I have only ever once been to Burger King, and it was Hunchback of Notre Dam.
Nice find
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.