News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

*UNOFFICIAL* PNSO Bases

Started by Bread, April 29, 2021, 03:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Hope they'll make a base for the Qianzhousaurus and pachycephalosaurus.
The two of them really need their stand contrary to the Parasaurolophus, and they're not really pretty, even if much appreciated.

Bread

Don't be afraid to send Model Toy Center some ideas on bases. However I am unaware whether they will continue to make bases for others, I have not been told yet.

Maritimer

Having already purchased the "Winter Wilson" T. rex figure, I decided to give the bases a try ... which led to purchasing "Wyatt" the Parasaurolophus (and a few other figures, ahem . . . ) as well. So far, all of the PNSO figures (aside from the Amargasaurus) have arrived, and the bases for Wilson and Wyatt landed along with them yesterday.

They're packaged well enough; the boxes are nothing fancy, but they're protective...

Wilson's base is significantly larger than Wyatt's, and both were packaged in zipper-type plastic bags, inserted into close-fitting, carved-to-shape foam. Both bases arrived in pristine condition, having traveled halfway 'round the world from China.

The bases are made of a heavy, solid resin, and have a layer of short-nap dark red velvet-like fabric tightly glued to the bottom of them.

There are resin "logs" which insert into Wilson's base, and a plastic-and-flocking "berry-bush" which inserts into the base for the Parasaurolophus. The berry bush is strictly esthetic, (it would make a nice orange tree for a "N" scale railroad set) while the darker brown branch might offer some possibility of support to the Tyrannosaurus - and it appears to be intended to, as it inserts into the base at the thick end of the branch, and into a rock at the skinny end - but I don't think that if the tyrannosaur's feet warp, he'll fall in that direction. The other log on the tyrannosaur base, lighter in color with yellowish ends where it's meant to look as though it's broken off, can be set in either of two ways: pointed into the base, it can give a more compact look, while it can also be set up the other way, and extend from the base beneath the head of the dinosaur, similar to the prow of a ship. Kind of depends on how much space you want to fill on your shelf. The angle of that log follows almost parallel with the figure's gaze.

The figures' feet needed relatively little adjustment / squeezing to drop into the provided "footprints" - I'd not mind seeing similar bases for the PNSO Corythosaurus and Lambeosaurus, which have rather more "stiletto" like legs, especially their forelimbs. My Corythosaurus constantly wants to roll to the right, and is currently getting some extra support from the tail of another figure. The Lambeosaurus arrived (the same night as the bases) with a bent forelimb, and has been propped up in a tripod position on the tip of her tail, as though startled by the Spinops in front of her.

The paint on the bases is a bit bright/harsh for my taste, especially compared with the more muted colors of the PNSO bases, and the green "moss" blotches seem a bit too well defined, but they're also in the shadows of the figures, so it's not too glaring.

The size of PNSO's Triceratops, by comparison with "Winter Wilson" (I'm given to understand that the older "Wilson v.2" figure is larger) made it look a bit more than the tyrannosaur could handle - especially if the trike was up on that base he came with. Putting the Tyrannosaurus on a base of his own also put him on a more equal footing with the trike, so this base would be a definite plus if you display these two figures together.

~B.

JohannesB

My own unofficial base for 'Wilson 2.0'. It may not(?) be as fancy as the ones on Model Toy Center, but it is so much more fun to make one yourself. I would recommend everyone to try it ^-^ Mine is a simple wood base with some modeling clay, plastic plants and artificial moss powder.

(Note that the dinosaur model does still need a stand, which I provided with a little rod.)

PhilSauria

That base looks amazing.

As one who has tried his hand at a base or two over the years this one has inspired me to try harder. I have a bag full of plastic trees and another of sticks I've picked up while out walking (which I try to do every day, walking that is not stick collecting!). Have not seen a source for the moss, might try Ali Express maybe?

JohannesB

Quote from: PhilSauria on June 19, 2021, 11:21:17 PM
That base looks amazing.

As one who has tried his hand at a base or two over the years this one has inspired me to try harder. I have a bag full of plastic trees and another of sticks I've picked up while out walking (which I try to do every day, walking that is not stick collecting!). Have not seen a source for the moss, might try Ali Express maybe?

I am happy it inspires you to do better. (It inspired me to do better as well: this was a mishmash of materials and techniques that was not really well though out, and it caused some problems, which I was able to camouflage ;-) I get most of my special model building supplies via eBay.

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Maritimer @Maritimer Thanks for sharing your impressions. You do not need an account to upload and share images. There are many free websites where you can upload photos and then just copy-paste the links here, e.g.: https://imgur.com/ or https://abload.de/.

avatar_JohannesB @Archosaur Awesome work!

Everything_Dinosaur

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade but if you are in the European Union or the UK for that matter, we would have to advise you to check whether this seller has got any appropriate safety certification for these items.  Indeed, as from the July 16th we suspect that these bases will fall under the scope of the new European Union regulations entitled Market Surveillance Regulations (EU) 2019/1020 these regulations are aimed at trying to protect consumers based in Europe from companies that are based outside of Europe selling via mail order (e-commerce) items that do not conform to the regulations and standards associated with that country.

Our advice is to treat with caution.

SidB

Hmmm, the ED caution points to a factor of which I'd never even thought - namely safety. I have one on the way, it will be interesting to see what certification it possesses, assuming that this is valid as stamped.

SidB

Received my Parasaurolophus base in the mail two days ago. It's a nice product, quite hefty, well-packaged in a quality box, a bit to my surprise. The bush with berries is better than I thought that it would be. Since the bottom is felt-covered, I can't ascertain if it has the CE stamp or not. Not a terribly relevant issue for me, since I won't be handling it anyways.