You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Ceratosuchops and Riparovenator

Started by suspsy, September 29, 2021, 12:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

You mean meet 2 future junior synonyms of Baryonyx
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

Duck

The horned-crocodile-faced heck heron!
He who dwells in pond

suspsy

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 29, 2021, 12:33:23 PM

Naish and Hone undoubtedly took that possibility into consideration when they wrote their paper.

Both animals differ in numerous ways from Baryonyx walkeri, both possess diagnostic features of their own, and both group away from Baryonyx walkeri on the cladogram and, surprisingly, on the same lineage as the baryonychine Suchomimus tenerensis* from Niger (Barker et al. 2021).

As stated in the paper, we remain open to the possibility that both might represent growth stages of the same taxon: the problem is that we lack appropriately comprehensive information on the changes that spinosaurids underwent as they matured (Barker et al. 2021). Furthermore, the features that make both different from each other and from Baryonyx don't look like the sorts of changes that would occur during growth and exhibit a degree of variation that exceeds that seen within other theropod genera. Also leaning against the growth stage idea is that both specimens are similar in size, similar in size to the Baryonyx holotype as well, and exhibit similar degrees of skeletal fusion.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ITdactyl

DerbesSchuhwerk

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I am pleased these are unique animals, I'm guessing it's it's similar thng to tye Terminocavus and Najavoceratops relation to Pentaceratops, only I heard these new Baryonichinae are closer related to Suchomimus than Baryonyx. 
Good to know about the brain cases of these animals. Would be interested to know what their niche partitioning is.
Also great names, especially Ceratosuchops.

A new Chasmosaurine has been named today as well.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Duck

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 29, 2021, 06:45:46 PM
I am pleased these are unique animals, I'm guessing it's it's similar thng to tye Terminocavus and Najavoceratops relation to Pentaceratops, only I heard these new Baryonichinae are closer related to Suchomimus than Baryonyx. 
Good to know about the brain cases of these animals. Would be interested to know what their niche partitioning is.
Also great names, especially Ceratosuchops.

A new Chasmosaurine has been named today as well.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Could you send me a link to a paper or article about that Chasmosaurine? I've not heard of that one yet.
He who dwells in pond

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Duck

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Interesting, the remains are a lot more complete than I thought they would be for the first fossil of a new genus.
He who dwells in pond

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on September 29, 2021, 01:46:39 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on September 29, 2021, 12:33:23 PM

Naish and Hone undoubtedly took that possibility into consideration when they wrote their paper.

Both animals differ in numerous ways from Baryonyx walkeri, both possess diagnostic features of their own, and both group away from Baryonyx walkeri on the cladogram and, surprisingly, on the same lineage as the baryonychine Suchomimus tenerensis* from Niger (Barker et al. 2021).

As stated in the paper, we remain open to the possibility that both might represent growth stages of the same taxon: the problem is that we lack appropriately comprehensive information on the changes that spinosaurids underwent as they matured (Barker et al. 2021). Furthermore, the features that make both different from each other and from Baryonyx don't look like the sorts of changes that would occur during growth and exhibit a degree of variation that exceeds that seen within other theropod genera. Also leaning against the growth stage idea is that both specimens are similar in size, similar in size to the Baryonyx holotype as well, and exhibit similar degrees of skeletal fusion.

I'm no paleontologist, but it seems strange to me that one could cite numerous differences from such fragmentary remains. More than just the possibility of different growth stages, how would you be certain that the differences aren't just normal differentiation between individuals? With nothing more than just nose-tips and some bits around the eye, how can you really be certain about numerous differences?

But maybe that's why they're the paleontologist and I'm not.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.