You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Newly described species of Cymbospondylus has a 2m long skull!

Started by Faelrin, December 24, 2021, 06:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I guess the skull has been known about from some time, but it has finally been published as a new species: C. youngorum 

The current estimate is pushing it to around at or over 17m or 55 feet. Truly incredible! 

Paper appears to be paywalled, but there's still a bit to be gleaned from it: 

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abf5787 

This article may be of help and has an image of the skull: 

https://nhm.org/press/earths-first-giant
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Newt

Amazing! What a spectacular beast! The Triassic marine reptile radiation is truly astonishing; so many clades, so much morphospace filled. The much more famous marine reptiles of the Jurassic and Cretaceous are fine, in their own way, but they can't hold a candle to their Triassic forerunners in terms of diversity and pure weirdness.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on December 25, 2021, 02:32:45 AM
Amazing! What a spectacular beast! The Triassic marine reptile radiation is truly astonishing; so many clades, so much morphospace filled. The much more famous marine reptiles of the Jurassic and Cretaceous are fine, in their own way, but they can't hold a candle to their Triassic forerunners in terms of diversity and pure weirdness.

Couldn't agree more. There was so much experimentation going on; I guess they aren't more famous just because most of them couldn't level a house. But from the standpoint of morphological evolution, the Triassic is unparalleled.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Whoa!  :o  Certainly makes one wonder what it was feeding on, smaller prey or even bigger game...

Hopefully this will inspire CollectA or someone to make one.  :))

Sim

This is wonderful!  Cymbospondylus is my favourite ichthyosaur genus and this new species is one more reason for me to like it!

I think some Cretaceous plesiosaurs are as weird as Triassic species, such as the deep-sea dwelling Abyssosaurus, the filter-feeding Morturneria, and even the very long-necked elasmosaurids like Styxosaurus.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 30, 2021, 10:38:12 PM

Couldn't agree more. There was so much experimentation going on; I guess they aren't more famous just because most of them couldn't level a house. But from the standpoint of morphological evolution, the Triassic is unparalleled.
Not very surprising. Many new forms develop after mass extinctions, attempting to fill old niches and eak out new ones, and the Triassic came after the largest mass extinction ever documented on earth.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Papi-Anon

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 30, 2021, 10:38:12 PM

Triassic as a whole was a truly 'sandbox' moment. Land, sea, and air, life got creative with the niche-occupying. I like that we're starting to get more Triassic figures over the last several years as more Triassic fauna gets unearthed too.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.