You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

smithsonian dinosaur hall

Started by dyno77, April 14, 2022, 09:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

Im basing this on videos only as well as photos ,since i haven't been there in person ,so this is from my own viewpoint as a longtime dinosaur model collector ....

I could only count 6 dinosaurs from the videos ,allosaurus,stegosaurus,ceratosaurus,diplodocus,t rex and triceratops...
It was known that they would be less,but this is supposed to be 1 of worlds leading museums and even though the hall is bigger it has so few dinosaurs....
Its a known fact they have thousands of fossils in storage,but so much was taken away and compared to the other main dinosaur museum halls this is clearly now the weakest lineup iv seen in a major museum...
In fact other less known museums over the world have more dinosaurs on display.
I personally see it as such a missed opportunity ,and iv noticed a select few museums that used to focus on dinosaurs and fossils are moving away from it and im not sure why that is ,but in this case they have 1 of the few largest collections of fossils in the world and yet barley 1% is on display...as a long time dinosaur enthusiast i just find that disappointing...and therefore it sure aint worth visiting since iv seen all these dinosaurs in other museums..

Pachyrhinosaurus

Despite the recent changes, the National fossil hall still has a great variety of species on display. Some fossils, such as the stegomastodon, did go into storage during the renovation, and others, like the rhomaleosaurus, were brought out of storage. One thing I always liked about the Smithsonian is that the exhibit is not dinosaur-centric and explores both the Paleozoic and Cenozoic to the same extent as the Mesozoic.

My disappointment with the new exhibit is primarily based on aesthetics and appearance. I feel as though the darker space with earth tones and more dramatic lighting worked better than the bright, white hall it is now. I also prefer the older-style and more traditional models, dioramas, murals, and signage to that of the new exhibit.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dusty Wren

As someone who has actually seen Deep Time in person, I promise you, there are more than six dinosaurs on display. Smithsonian has a virtual tour of the hall on their website; go count them yourself.

I agree with avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus that one of the best things about the exhibit is that it features more than just dinosaurs. The point of Deep Time is to put extinct animals in the context of their ecosystems, and it's nice to see how much care the museum put into their displays of fossil fish, plants, and invertebrates.
Check out my customs thread!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.