News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Plants

Started by stemturtle, July 26, 2012, 07:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

The Favorite Island diorama from the BHI is remarkable too, though not a source of "greenery." But the price ...!

Halichoeres

These models from Aurora have been mentioned in this thread, but here's a couple of photos:

Looks like a pretty good match for Cycadeoidea or another bennettitalean

This doesn't resemble any tree I can identify but it seems like they might have been going for Lepidodendron (My copy has broken pegs; you should be able to attach more foliage to it)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

JurassicTakedown

So happy to have found this thread as my daughter was asking me "which of the trees we have are from the permian" and I kinda knew most popular models were from the Jurassic/cretaceous. A bit sad there are no "older" trees made by a big company to purchase in bulk for displays/dioramas/playing in general

SidB

When I look at my current specimens from CollectA and Safari, none terribly recent, I can't help but think that they must have been expensive to make. That, coupled with chronically low demand, would account, IMO, for the scarcity of appropriate flora available for our displays and dioramas. Fabrication by the collector would be one answer.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: JurassicTakedown on September 23, 2021, 12:55:29 AM
So happy to have found this thread as my daughter was asking me "which of the trees we have are from the permian" and I kinda knew most popular models were from the Jurassic/cretaceous. A bit sad there are no "older" trees made by a big company to purchase in bulk for displays/dioramas/playing in general

Wasn't the Safari Fern Tree based on a Permian plant?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on October 05, 2021, 08:15:45 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty good match for Psaronius, except for the backward-unfurling fiddleheads.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 12, 2021, 11:25:15 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on October 05, 2021, 08:15:45 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty good match for Psaronius, except for the backward-unfurling fiddleheads.

TBH looking back, it's a really weird error to make considering we still have plenty of extant tree ferns.

Halichoeres

It's funny, the little fern in the Hypsilophodon diorama by CollectA has the same problem.

Newt

I think it's a natural instinct for artists, that the curve of the crozier should be a tighter version of the gravity-induced curve of the mature frond. I know that's how I drew ferns when I was a kid, before it was pointed out to me that this was incorrect. (Yes, I drew a lot of ferns when I was a kid. Don't all children love to draw pteridophytes?)

Quote from: Newt on November 14, 2021, 11:26:40 AM
I think it's a natural instinct for artists, that the curve of the crozier should be a tighter version of the gravity-induced curve of the mature frond. I know that's how I drew ferns when I was a kid, before it was pointed out to me that this was incorrect. (Yes, I drew a lot of ferns when I was a kid. Don't all children love to draw pteridophytes?)

I loved drawing them too! I don't think I ever paid attention to which way they curled. I'm sure it probably changed from drawing to drawing.

Faelrin

I used to draw ferns as a kid too, but then again, where I lived back then (my birth state of NH) they were plentiful in the woods I used to go out and explore, so perhaps that was expected? Can't remember if I ever drew them correctly though, with how long ago that was, but I know I've come across a number of them that were still curled up and served as inspiration before, among the older ones.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Some flat metal plants by Schmalkalder:

Cordaites

? cf. Jurinodendron

Sigillaria

unspecified horsetail

tree fern, cf. Psaronius (with plausibly-shaped fiddlehead)

? cf. Lepidodendron

Newt

Interesting! Is there modeling on both sides, or is the reverse blank?

Halichoeres

avatar_Newt @Newt they're two sided! More photos and the rationales for some of my IDs here:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg291626#msg291626

EmperorDinobot

I *NEED* these plants now.

All of them.

Finally a new entry for this list! And from a Jurassic Park set no less. It's hard to see this leaf in the movie, although a cut scene visible in one of the original teasers shows Ellie Satler plucking it from the plant, and just before the Brachiosaurus scene, she can be heard telling Alan "This species of Veriforman has been extinct since the Cretaceous Period! I mean, this can't possibly be... what?"

Halichoeres

Too bad it's made up. It's almost as fictional as Indominus.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.