News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dueling Dinosaurs fossil scale

Started by andrewsaurus rex, October 21, 2022, 04:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Lots of pictures and illustrations of this fossil but I can't find any with some sort of scale bar, to get an idea of the size of the two individuals.  The description of 'adult triceratops' and 'juvenile t-rex' is vague.  Can someone point me to a picture or illustration of the fossil with something added for scale?

Libraraptor

andrewsaurus rex

uh, could you explain your response?

Lynx

22-foot-long rex and 28-foot-long trike
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

andrewsaurus rex

that's great, thanks  :)

Has there been a discussion thread on this topic here in this forum?  Because there's a lot to discuss...

Halichoeres

Quote from: andrewsaurus on October 21, 2022, 01:40:25 PMthat's great, thanks  :)

Has there been a discussion thread on this topic here in this forum?  Because there's a lot to discuss...

Yeah, typing "dueling dinosaurs" into the forum search bar pulls up more than 30 threads where they have been mentioned.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

so I discovered.   The search feature on most forums I've been to is pretty much useless,  but on this forum it's pretty good.

It certainly will be interesting to learn what scientific conclusions come out from analysis of the fossil.  If it turns out to be an actual confrontation between Trex and Triceratops it can really get the mind whirling.  It seemed to me unlikely that even an adult Trex would take on an adult Triceratops let alone a juvenile, but if that's the case it may indicate Rex hunted in packs or family units, with the subadults , being quicker, darting in and making slashing bites to weaken the Triceratops before the bigger, stronger adult(s) go in for the kill.

Or maybe juveniles could take down an adult Triceratops all by themselves using several quick slashing attacks and then sitting back and waiting for the Triceratops to die from blood loss.  Or maybe the Trex had a mouthful of bacteria , like a komodo dragon and the Triceratops would quickly  succumb to infection from the wounds.  The juveniles could have even harried and attacked the Triceratops for days until it finally fell.

Or maybe, or maybe, or maybe....  :)

stargatedalek

Tyrannosaurus also shows evidence of potential nocturnal hunting adaptations, abnormally keen eyesight and binocular vision, sensitive footpads, and potentially sensory pits on the face. An adult Tyrannosaurus hunting an adult Triceratops makes a lot more sense when it actually stands a chance of functionally ambushing it, plus outmanoeuvring it in the dark where the Triceratops senses are dampened.

Komodo dragons don't kill using mouth bacteria. There is question whether their venom is actually strong enough to meaningfully cripple prey or is vestigial, but the infections common to prey animals wounds come from the ragged nature of the wounds and not any sort of symbiotic bacteria in the lizards mouth.

As for what happened here, the Triceratops could even have been the aggressor. Finding the still vulnerable young of a predator tends to become a sadistic field day for most prey animals. If Tyrannosaurus really was nocturnal, Triceratops may have even pushed their luck attacking Tyrannosaurus in general during daylight, like crows and owls.

andrewsaurus rex

that's interesting.  I remember seeing a documentary in which a herd of African Buffalo ganged up on a lioness and her two cubs, when they were isolated from the  rest of the pride.  The lioness had been attacking the Buffalo young, in an attempt to feed herself and her cubs and one day, the 'leader' of the buffalo herd led the whole herd in an assault against the lioness, driving her out of the territory and killing one cub in the process.  That would be interesting if Triceratops was doing something similar here.