News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

In exactly one month's time, CollectA will begin their 2024 reveals! ;D
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2023, 08:07:39 PMIn exactly one month's time, CollectA will begin their 2024 reveals! ;D
Here's hoping for the one (at least) traditional Cenozoic mammal.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on October 02, 2023, 08:30:25 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2023, 08:07:39 PMIn exactly one month's time, CollectA will begin their 2024 reveals! ;D
Here's hoping for the one (at least) traditional Cenozoic mammal.

Eagerly await any Cenozoic or Paleozoic offerings from CollectA! Can always count on them to do some weirdos. ^-^

JimoAi

my wishlist

Marine life:

Sleeper shark
updated humpback whale
Saltwater crocodile
thresher shark
Deluxe blue whale
 Mini marine life 4 with various small creatures

prehistoric life:
Arthropleura
Leedsicthys
ophthalmosaurus
Maip
Prionosuchus
Livyatan
a gorgonopsid
nothosaurus
am updated Quetzalcoatlus
a bipedal postosuchus
a 2023 dunkleosteus reconstruction
Dodo
Haast eagle

As you can tell, am not a huge fan of the oversaturation of non avian dinosaurs, thus I have only 1 on my wishlist

Lynx

Can't wait! Hoping for a redo of the velociraptor mainly.
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Then too, CollectA has done such a good job with their recent sauropods ( Mamenschisaurus, Bajadasaurus, Ryuangasaurus), that I am looking forward to their next one.

BlueKrono

B @Basilosaurus Those won't come out til next year. There's a whole thread about them: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=11109.0
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Georassic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 05, 2023, 05:37:32 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 04, 2023, 05:12:41 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 04, 2023, 04:47:09 PMAny pics of the Ruyangosaurus with other Collecta sauropods?   Rebor's Dippys sort of tickled my sauropod nerve.. lol

https://dinotoyblog.com/ruyangosaurus-deluxe-by-collecta/

Thanks!

Question for someone who owns the CollectA Ruyangosaurus: How big do those speculative scutes/osteoderms scale? How large would they be on the full-sized animal, and is that realistic compared to what is known about sauropod osteoderms?

I've resisted this figure because it seems like, at 1/100th scale, those speculative features would be huge, perhaps larger than what is known from related sauropods. Anyone have any insight or measurements on this?

Sim

Halichoeres has estimated the CollectA Ruyangosaurus to be actually be around 1:50 scale.  I don't think its osteoderms are too big, for what it's worth.

Georassic

Quote from: Sim on December 07, 2023, 05:49:30 PMHalichoeres has estimated the CollectA Ruyangosaurus to be actually be around 1:50 scale.  I don't think its osteoderms are too big, for what it's worth.

Thanks, avatar_Sim @Sim! You just took away two excuses I had for not buying it (scale being the other).  ;)

Sim

The CollectA Koolasuchus is an excellent figure, but I've never been convinced by the scaly and very detailed skin it has.  I read on Wikipedia the following:
QuoteUnlike modern amphibians, many temnospondyls are covered in small, closely packed scales.[98][99][89][100] The undersides of most temnospondyls are covered in rows of large ventral plates. During early stages of development, they first have only small, rounded scales. Fossils show, as the animals grew, the scales on the undersides of their bodies developed into large, wide ventral plates. The plates overlap each other in a way that allows a wide range of flexibility. Later semiaquatic temnospondyls, such as trematosaurs and capitosaurs, have no evidence of scales. They may have lost scales to make movement easier under water or to allow cutaneous respiration, the absorption of oxygen through the skin.[101]
Koolasuchus belongs to one of the groups with no evidence of scales.  So while it might have had scales, it seems more likely to me that it lacked them since all later temnospondyls don't have evidence for scales.

Halichoeres

Hmmm, I don't think "no evidence of scales" is quite right, since Plagiosuchus shows gastral scales at least, and is a trematosaur. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1096-3642.2007.00309.x
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I think the lack of scales is being said for later trematosaurs and capitosaurs.  The paper you linked to says this too:
QuoteIn the Mesozoic, a complete reduction of dermal scalation occurred independently in distinct dissorophoid, capitosauroid, and trematosauroid temnospondyls. This reduction was probably the result of several factors unique to each group, such as cutaneous respiration, the demand for greater mobility, and the decreased importance of belly protection in fully aquatic temnospondyls.

Halichoeres

Yeah, that's fair enough. It's worth remembering that the chigutisaurids were quite isolated from other temnospondyl lineages and to the best of my knowledge none of them preserved in a way that would allow us to confidently infer their integument. It wouldn't be the first time that a geographically isolated lineage outlived all its relatives. It's also possible that, as with today, the scalelessness of other temnospondyls is what made them vulnerable to extinction. That's speculation on my part, of course. Anyway, I think it's reasonable to favor scaleless chigutisaurids, but it's a little bit of an absence-of-evidence problem and I think scales are a live possibility as well.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I don't think the Koolasuchus even has scales. I consider them just bumps on the skin, which quite a few extant salamanders have.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

I'm currently researching every (or at least most) described temnospondyl (excluding Lissamphibia) to great detail (with notes) for my long overdue review on this one. I suppose I'll also post the notes in a separate thread when I conclude research prior to my review being finished and submitted, just in case anything last minute needs correcting.

Edit: Especially pertaining to the integument of this figure, and its relatives.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Does anybody know about an action figure stand that I could use with the CollectA Deluxe Mosasaurus? I mean, something like this:

Spoiler
[close]

Any references would be appreciated!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Concavenator on July 02, 2024, 04:36:53 PMDoes anybody know about an action figure stand that I could use with the CollectA Deluxe Mosasaurus? I mean, something like this:
I am fond of these little doll stands, versatile with a sturdy base for their size and a few different hook options included. You would want at least two of them to hold up that CollectA Mosasaurus I would think.

Spoiler

Concavenator

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: