News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Help Planning Acquisitions?

Started by Concavenator, November 03, 2023, 10:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

So I was looking at my wishlist and thought I can classify the figures I'm interested in in 4 groups, company-wise. I'm a slow collector, so I've been thinking which order would be optimal to follow when it comes to getting the figures. Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated. The companies that represent the different groups are:

1. Creative Beast: Now, I'm mainly a static figure collector, but there are some cases where I'm interested in Creative Beast figures because they have a figure of a species I really like and that figure is the best depiction of that creature in the market. Right now I'm interested in the Yutyrannus, Allosaurus, Deinonychus, Carnotaurus and potentially, Dilophosaurus. I definitely plan to get the Deinonychus. When it comes to Allosaurus and Carnotaurus, I think it's likely other versions will be released eventually that are so good that I won't feel the need to get the Creative Beast ones (but Allosaurus is my favorite dinosaur). Now, the risk here is that I don't have a way to know when their figures are getting retired - I already asked David about this, he doesn't announce retirements. So it would be a shame to miss on any of them. About Yutyrannus, I'm not so sure many/any more figures of it will be made, or at least any that can rival the BotM version. Well, I think MENG might release one, but I've spoken with Paleofiguras and their releases will be considerably slowed down (probably because of their choice to make 1:72 dinosaurs).

2. PNSO: I'm not concerned about retirements when it comes to PNSO, but I'm well aware that, the later I purchase a figure, the more likely it will be sloppily painted, sometimes the downgrade being fairly drastic.

3. Haolonggood/Eofauna/Wild Past/TNG: I feel the situation with these companies is sort of similar. They aren't that big companies, so I'm more worried about missing out on their figures, because of (probably?) shorter production runs. In the case of Haolonggood, most (if not all) of their figures have at least 1 known inaccuracy, and accuracy is important to me. I'm unsure how would these companies manage retirements or how could I be aware of them.

4. Safari/CollectA: Out of all of these companies, I'm least concerned about Safari and CollectA. Because I know I can get to know about their retirements (they're announced). And also because their paintjobs aren't generally very complex to start with, so I guess the downgrade in paintjob over time isn't that drastic.

What do you guys think? Which order would you say it's smarter to follow?