You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Dinosaur Action Set books

Started by triceratops83, June 29, 2020, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Anyone remember these from the mid eighties? You popped out the dinosaurs, folded and/or tabbed them together, and set them against a backdrop to make dioramas. I had a few of these as a youngster, I remember one had on the cover a Mosasaur, Elasmosaurus and Pteranodon. Anyway, some good retro paleoart.

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

I had the German ( both called "Die Dinosaurier Bastelbuch" ) versions of the first and second Dinosaur Action Sets in the early 90s, but no longer have them.  I managed to obtain the "The Dinosaur Action Set" and "Undersea Dinosaur Action Set" ( the one with the Mosasaurus ) a few years ago, but keep them unbuild for various reasons. Seems like there is a total of four books:
The Dinosaur Action Set
The Second Dinosaur Action Set
Undersea Dinosaur Action Set
Prehistoric Mammals Action Set
The first two can also combine to form a larger diorama.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

These are so cool! CityRaptor posted about the "Undersea Dinosaur" one in my collection thread. I'd love to see photos of that one if they're available. Especially if it includes any interesting fishes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Here it is:

Oh no

BlueKrono

Well that is incredibly cool. Almost makes me want to collect paper. Limits, self, LIMITS!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

I mean it got a BLUE Kronosaurus an all. Hmm, just noticed that my copy of "The Dinosaur Action Set" seems to be older than avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 ones, not mentioning the other Action Sets. Also seems a bit darker regarding the print.
Oh no

triceratops83

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor Thanks so much for posting this, another trip down memory lane! Seems I remember the cover well enough, but I don't recall the contents
so clearly. So cool to see this again.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 03, 2020, 12:05:36 AM
Well that is incredibly cool. Almost makes me want to collect paper. Limits, self, LIMITS!

I'm feeling this, with all the cool Devonian fish in the background of the Dunkleosteus section.

Thanks again for posting these photos avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor. PS for anyone wondering, Portheus (the large fish in the Tylosaurus/Hesperornis diorama) is a synonym of Xiphactinus. The name Portheus was coined by E.D. Cope, and I'm always happy to see one of his names sunk into synonymy, because to heck with that guy.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 10, 2020, 12:08:08 AM
PS for anyone wondering, Portheus (the large fish in the Tylosaurus/Hesperornis diorama) is a synonym of Xiphactinus. The name Portheus was coined by E.D. Cope, and I'm always happy to see one of his names sunk into synonymy, because to heck with that guy.

I thought one of those fish looked like Xiphactinus - I just figured it was a relative.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres just wondering - what have you got against Cope? You one of Marsh's guys?

Libraraptor

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 03, 2020, 12:05:36 AM

:D

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on July 10, 2020, 10:00:20 AM
Halichoeres just wondering - what have you got against Cope? You one of Marsh's guys?

In addition to being a fairly sloppy paleontologist and doing active harm to the field with his corrosive, spiteful rivalry with Marsh, Cope was a public and vociferous racist. Not just in the "product of his time" way, either.

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 11, 2020, 12:24:18 AM
In addition to being a fairly sloppy paleontologist and doing active harm to the field with his corrosive, spiteful rivalry with Marsh, Cope was a public and vociferous racist. Not just "for the time," either.

My favorite Cope story was Marsh informing him that he put Elasmosaurus' head on the wrong end.

Darko2300

Dear God. I just now found this thread, and had to jump in. As a middle-to-lower class child of the eighties, these books were... just - almost everything to me. Something relatively inexpensive that could literally create an entire prehistoric world to play in. It's almost horrifying now to think that I actually punched the dinosaurs out and used them, but how could I not? It's not far off to say that this series somehow became part of me, and influenced so many aspects of my journey into adulthood. Probably more than I realize. (Just look at my avatar... 😅)

As an adult, I've managed to find and collect new copies of The Dinosaur Action Set, The Dinosaur Action Set II, The Undersea Dinosaur Action Set, and the Prehistoric Mammal Action Set (though that one is missing a single smaller animal). I also Have the Wild Safari Action Set, but because it's previous owner was a smoker, it remains sealed in several layers of archival plastic in storage far away from anything else. (I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, but these things are so hard to come by I can't bring myself to get rid of it.)

At one point I started to scan pages of these books in order to preserve them, but I didn't get very far, I'm afraid. Due to the page size, I had to scan each page twice and splice the images together in Photoshop. (And correct any changes in color or contrast.) If I'm ever actually able to complete this, rest assured I'll upload the files so anyone can download, print them, and - maybe - experience just a little of the joy these books brought me as a kid.

To paraphrase a popular fictional Archeologist, "These things really do belong in a museum. 😁

Halichoeres

Oh I wouldn't feel bad for having punched these out and played with them. That's what they were for! What fun they must have been to play with :)

CityRaptor

Exactly. These sets are meant for that. They also make nice backgrounds for other figures. Indeed my younger self used them for that, but mostly ignored the paper Dinosaurs.
Oh no

DC

You can never have too many dinosaurs

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.