You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Natural History Museum Models Now Retired

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, April 03, 2024, 06:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

News from Everything Dinosaur on Youtube:

Flaffy

Hopefully once these are phased out, the NHM will get some proper quality dinosaur models in stock O:-)

The gift shop there is absolutely pitiful!

Crackington

I agree avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and sorry to sound like a broken record, but why they haven't hooked up with Collecta mystifies me. Seems such an obvious choice with Collecta's decent reputation for figures and high UK cast list. They also make good extant figures too let's not forget.

ceratopsian

Dream on, I'm afraid!  I'm sure they'll do no such thing.  And you are right, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy.  The gift shop is appalling.  The scientific staff have no input, it's purely marketing people.

A response by Everything Dinosaur to a query about replacements on Facebook:

"Sadly not, we have been involved with the merchandising team at the NHM one way or another for a long time. We were actually informed about this line going several months ago. We have proposed various new lines but issues over licensing and royalty payments proved insurmountable. At this time we are not aware of any developments with regards to a new or replacement model series."

Quote from: Flaffy on April 03, 2024, 08:34:19 AMHopefully once these are phased out, the NHM will get some proper quality dinosaur models in stock O:-)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 03, 2024, 11:54:54 AMDream on, I'm afraid!  I'm sure they'll do no such thing.  And you are right, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy.  The gift shop is appalling.  The scientific staff have no input, it's purely marketing people.

A response by Everything Dinosaur to a query about replacements on Facebook:

"Sadly not, we have been involved with the merchandising team at the NHM one way or another for a long time. We were actually informed about this line going several months ago. We have proposed various new lines but issues over licensing and royalty payments proved insurmountable. At this time we are not aware of any developments with regards to a new or replacement model series."

Quote from: Flaffy on April 03, 2024, 08:34:19 AMHopefully once these are phased out, the NHM will get some proper quality dinosaur models in stock O:-)

British bureaucracy strikes again! ::)

SidB

Sad in one way for sure, though I never admired them as much as the Invicta. I'd be surprised to see the line resurrected. Too much high quality competition.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I always liked the triceratops-- I'll probably pick one up online while I still can.

For being among the world's leading Natural History Museums, it's a shame they didn't have a another prestigious toyline after Invicta.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Libraraptor

So I was lucky to get myself a Diplodocus / Kentrosaurus set right in time. These are the least ugly.
Marketing people running a museum shop is not exclusive to England only. Here in Germany we know it, too, sometimes with embarassing results.

BrontoScorpio

I got me the 5 small herbivours - Kentrosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops & Iguanodon ( The last of which was retired already long ago - if I'm not mistaking ) 
and kept out the others.
Put them together In the Toyway Shelf ...

Prehistory Resurrection

They were good for their time, sad to see them go. In addition to the mentioned problems because of which this line is retiring in Everything Dinosaur's post, I also think that there's so much competition nowadays (better offerings) that it was inevitable.

The Diplodocus, Corythosaurus, Iguanodon, Stegosaurus and Kentrosaurus are the most decent in my opinion. I went on holiday for two weeks in London last year and each time I go on holiday there, the NHM is a must to visit each time. Had I known that this line was soon retiring, I would have grabbed one of these.

ceratopsian

The competition in the NHM shop comes not from the better models available there but from cheaper unbranded and extremely ugly and cartoonish models sold in the shop.

Prehistory Resurrection

I was actually referring to mainstream models such as the ones from PNSO, Haolongood, which we are used to. But yeah, the figures in the museum's shop are quite unappealing.

Crackington

To be fair avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, I did see some Papo on sale too and there is some good non-figure merchandise available. It's just frustrating that there is no equivalent of Invicta now, whether high end like PNSO and HLG or good quality midrange figures like Safari and Collecta.

It seems a real shame that they are unable to overcome copyright issues (wonder what they could be?).

The Toyway figures weren't terrible, if released 10 years earlier we'd probably have thought them pretty good. It's just that they had already been surpassed by other companies when they came out and I guess we expected a lot more from the replacements for Invicta.

I still have the Carnotaurus, though not displayed, but gave the Megalosaurus (a decent effort) away to a friend's child who took a shine to it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.