News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

house paint on figures

Started by Takama, July 12, 2013, 11:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok.  I have been using color matched house paint on my figures.   Is that bad or ok

tyrantqueen

*shudders*

Well there is technically no reason why you can't, but it's not designed for use on models. It's probably too thick.

Get some acrylics instead. Even cheapy craft acrylics would be better.

jtn144

Actually, there are several model railroaders who use latex house paint to color their scenery, mountains, rock, grass and such. This paint thins with water so you could use it to paint figures. I think you could get in smaller size cans if I'm not mistaken, so this could be more economical in the long run.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: jtn144 on July 13, 2013, 04:10:24 AM
Actually, there are several model railroaders who use latex house paint to color their scenery, mountains, rock, grass and such. This paint thins with water so you could use it to paint figures. I think you could get in smaller size cans if I'm not mistaken, so this could be more economical in the long run.
Here in the UK (it's probably the same in the USA, but I'm not sure) house paint is sold in huge cans, like these

Meaning that to get a good colour range, you'd have to end up spending a lot. Even if you mixed most of your own colours, it might be rather expensive.  It just seems like overkill to me, no offense to anyone :-\ I don't know why anyone would want to spend so much money on cans of paint, than just spending less and getting a basic set like this

Takama

The reason i ask Is because i Color match at my local Stores, they sell  little Plastic containers for 3.99.  However, Paint matching is tricky.  You must have a Flat surface, and the Surface has to be as big as a Qurter.    I ask if theres any proplems asociated with the materials in the paint that can damage my figures.

jtn144

Well, if you plan on painting a lot of figures, those big cans of paint will last a very long time. There not really my cup of tea either, but there's nothing really wrong with using them. Latex paint should not damage any figures.

docronnie

Just asked my wife about this and she said it's OK to use latex paint.

In action figures, we always use acrylic paints.  The most popular brands here are Citadel and Tamiya.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Crackington

Some of the UK DIY stores sell tester paint tins which are small and designed for people to check whether they like a certain colour. They are a bigger than the model paint pots from the toy shops, but not sure if they would work out cheaper in the end.

On another note I saw some Tamiya model paints on sale in a hobby chain shop the other week which looked very good and had a wide range. However, they had a warning which said something like "This paint has been known to cause cancer and other illnesses in the State of California" and this put me off buying them. I assume that this doesn't mean that they are safe for me in the UK!

On reflection, I think that this disclaimer could apply to most paints and there is always a small risk with them, but does anyone know what the level of risk is? I feel a bit sorry for Tamiya putting this on their tins, I'm sure I'm not the only person put off... 

tyrantqueen

QuoteOn another note I saw some Tamiya model paints on sale in a hobby chain shop the other week which looked very good and had a wide range. However, they had a warning which said something like "This paint has been known to cause cancer and other illnesses in the State of California" and this put me off buying them. I assume that this doesn't mean that they are safe for me in the UK!
I don't use Tamiya, but paleoferroequine uses these paints, and he is still alive ;)

Even artists acrylics have stuff in them that wouldn't want in your body (Cadmium red for example). Just don't lick your brushes and you should be OK.
I have heard stories of people who lick their brush so much their tongues are permanently stained :x

paleoferroequine

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 13, 2013, 06:15:45 PM
QuoteOn another note I saw some Tamiya model paints on sale in a hobby chain shop the other week which looked very good and had a wide range. However, they had a warning which said something like "This paint has been known to cause cancer and other illnesses in the State of California" and this put me off buying them. I assume that this doesn't mean that they are safe for me in the UK!
I don't use Tamiya, but paleoferroequine uses these paints, and he is still alive ;)

Not so sure, I'm pretty sure I am Walking Dead! :o

I do use Tamiya a lot. Those warnings are on a lot of stuff here, note it's only California so if you don't live there you're OK!! ;D
They put that warning on bags of kiddy sand for sandboxes!! Arrgh! And computer mice and electric cords. Keep in mind it is a shotgun approach, anything remotely carcinogenic regardless of dose is covered and they slap the warning randomly all over till people ignore it, Chicken Little syndrome. ??? Also no specifics to say what it is they are warning you about. I think it must be the air there or something that causes their brains to lock up. That and litigation. >:(

Crackington

I suspect its the last one  :))!!

I think I'll probably go back and buy the paint at some point, they had a human skin colour which could be ideal for an old Aurora Cro-Magnon Man kit I got a while ago. Just need to find some time to work on it....

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.