News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

spinosaurus being hunted?

Started by Takama, June 01, 2013, 09:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

This might sound like one of those. OMG CAN SPINOSAURUS RELLY KILL A TREX. Topic. But I was thinking.   Old spiny mainly hunted fishes and other smaller cretures.  But would it be hunted by. Carcaradontosaurus?  Spinnys jaws are two weak to inflict bad damage on the old shark tooth lizard. And mybe hit I'm with the fish hook.   But in the end. Would spinny have the advantage?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Two adult animals I don't think would fight each other, unless they had a good reason anyway.

Both animals may have preyed on the offspring of either though.

ZoPteryx

Maybe occasionally, if times were tough.  But in general I think the risk involved in hunting such well armed prey like Spino would be too great.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Takama on June 01, 2013, 09:02:35 PM
This might sound like one of those. OMG CAN SPINOSAURUS RELLY KILL A TREX. Topic. But I was thinking.   Old spiny mainly hunted fishes and other smaller cretures.  But would it be hunted by. Carcaradontosaurus?  Spinnys jaws are two weak to inflict bad damage on the old shark tooth lizard. And mybe hit I'm with the fish hook.   But in the end. Would spinny have the advantage?

Nitpick alert! Char cardoon doesn't mean shark, it's the name of a kind of shark, which itself means jagged tooth. So the translation of Charcarodontosaueus could be either Jagged Toothed Lizard or Great White Shark Lizard, but Shark Toothed Lizard doesn't make sense as a translation.

Sorry for the tangent, that always bugs me :)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

DinoLord

Spinosaur jaws weren't as weak as most people make them out to be. Their larger size meant that they were stronger.

wings

Quote from: DinoLord on June 03, 2013, 02:32:17 PM
Spinosaur jaws weren't as weak as most people make them out to be. Their larger size meant that they were stronger.
Interestingly there is just a paper published on the very topic (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0065295).

DinoLord

Link doesn't work (for now at least), but yes I was referring to that study.

wings

Quote from: DinoLord on June 03, 2013, 11:03:01 PM
Link doesn't work (for now at least), but yes I was referring to that study.
Not sure because it's working for me (I just checked) but you can also try this (http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0065295&representation=PDF which is the pdf file itself).

Just in case if it doesn't work again, here is their conclusion (see below):

"...In conclusion, the unusual rostral morphology of spinosaurs conferred some advantage in dorsoventral bending resistance, particularly in B. walkeri, yet both species studied here were poorly equipped to resist mediolateral and torsional loads. Spinosaurus represents one of the biggest, if not the biggest theropod dinosaur, yet scaled to the size of an alligator, gharial or slender-snouted crocodilian, it performs poorly, especially in resistance to torsion. For a taxon such as Spinosaurus, the ability to feed on larger, struggling prey was not conferred by the possession of a snout that was relatively well equipped to deal with associated feeding loads, but may have been achieved by simple size-related advantages."

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.