News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

In the news

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Simon

Saw that one.  Strange little critters.

CityRaptor

Well, not that strange, but for sure interesting.

Is this just me or do Ryan and folks have a thing for naming Ceratopsian Dinosaurs after mythical Creatures?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 13, 2012, 08:19:18 PM
Well, not that strange, but for sure interesting.

Is this just me or do Ryan and folks have a thing for naming Ceratopsian Dinosaurs after mythical Creatures?

In the case of Gryphoceratops it probably has something to do with the notion that the mythological Griffin is thought to have been inspired by Protoceratops bones.

CityRaptor

Yes, I know. I also get reminded of it a lot by a really annoying guy who is a both, a Brony and into Prehistoric Mammals. He always talks about how an Unicorn like Elasmotherium are superior to a Griffon like Protoceratops.  ::)

But I meant the fact that the same team also named Medusaceratops.

Quote from: Takama on March 14, 2012, 01:27:00 AM
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dinos&action=display&thread=5052

Black seems rather common, it seems. Atleast Microraptor seems to be shiny. Wonder if Safari makes a re-color of their Microraptor next year---
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stemturtle

Here is an article about new tetrapods rather than dinosaurs: "Earliest Carboniferous tetrapod and arthropod faunas from Scotland populate Romer's Gap" http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/02/27/1117332109
Reported by BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-17258372
I wonder if Jenny Clack will include these fossils in her second edition of "Gaining Ground," available in several weeks.
Why did my great-grandfather emigrate from Kelso?  I might have found fossil tetrapods in my backyard!  :)

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

ZoPteryx

Quote from: stemturtle on March 17, 2012, 08:08:08 PM
Here is an article about new tetrapods rather than dinosaurs: "Earliest Carboniferous tetrapod and arthropod faunas from Scotland populate Romer's Gap" http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/02/27/1117332109
Reported by BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-17258372
I wonder if Jenny Clack will include these fossils in her second edition of "Gaining Ground," available in several weeks.
Why did my great-grandfather emigrate from Kelso?  I might have found fossil tetrapods in my backyard!  :)

Can't wait for them to be officially described! :)

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Himmapaan

That is pretty amazing...

Takama

what a perfect tool, for a Snakeophobs worst nightmare. >:D

Tylosaurus

Heh Titanoboa makes the 30 feet long Madtsoia no match heh :X

Madtsoia versus Laplatasaurus

Art is from The Dinosaurs by William Stout.

Gryphoceratops

Of course they have to put a "vs. T. rex" in there somewhere.   ::)

Tylosaurus

Yer it's indeed a very bad comparison indeed, a Karposuchus would be more suitable,Kaprosuchus since that may have been it's diet :)

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on March 22, 2012, 11:37:25 PM
Of course they have to put a "vs. T. rex" in there somewhere.   ::)
You should have seen the animation (by the Smithsonian, no less) in which it was actually pitted in a hypothetical fight with a T. rex. Yeah... ::)

ETA: Oh, wait, it's actually there at the bottom of the article now. I don't think it was there earlier.  :-\

DinoToyForum

I've now created a new sub-board especially for news stories. Therefore I've moved this thread here and locked it. Feel free to create a new topic for each news story.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.