News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Another New Dino!

Started by verinnius, March 19, 2014, 09:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Like its name!Wow! 2014 is pretty much looking like a veery rich year for new dinosaur species!

EmperorDinobot

Anzu...

That's what I was gonna name my imaginary air guitar band.

CityRaptor

Well, Bakker called Tyrannosaurus once a "Roadrunner from Hell".
Even better, it is from the end of the Cretaceous, adding another species to the mix.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

QuoteScientists have discovered a freakish, birdlike species of dinosaur — 11 feet long, 500 pounds, with a beak, no teeth, a bony crest atop its head, murderous claws, prize-fighter arms, spindly legs, a thin tail and feathers sprouting all over the place.

How is this any different from most other oviraptorids? It's fairly large, but it's no gigantoraptor. Not sure why they're calling it the "Chicken from Hell".

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 19, 2014, 10:49:06 PM
QuoteScientists have discovered a freakish, birdlike species of dinosaur — 11 feet long, 500 pounds, with a beak, no teeth, a bony crest atop its head, murderous claws, prize-fighter arms, spindly legs, a thin tail and feathers sprouting all over the place.

How is this any different from most other oviraptorids? It's fairly large, but it's no gigantoraptor. Not sure why they're calling it the "Chicken from Hell".

I couldn't even read the whole article, everything is just so exaggerated and sensationalized. I'm not going to say it's not a cool find but at the end of the day, it is just another oviraptor. The name doesn't even mean "chicken from Hell".

QuoteLike its name!Wow! 2014 is pretty much looking like a veery rich year for new dinosaur species!

No surprise there, the same can be said for every year in the last decade or two...or longer.

Balaur

Yup. I agree with tyrantqueen and gwangi. It's cool that they found a new dinosaur, but seriously? So, its a 3 metre long oviraptorid. Cool. These quotes, like "It looked like a cross between a chicken and lizard." Ugh. I hate the media. Ugh. So sensationalistic.

verinnius

Quote from: Balaur on March 19, 2014, 11:39:23 PM
Yup. I agree with tyrantqueen and gwangi. It's cool that they found a new dinosaur, but seriously? So, its a 3 metre long oviraptorid. Cool. These quotes, like "It looked like a cross between a chicken and lizard." Ugh. I hate the media. Ugh. So sensationalistic.

The media exaggerate something?  Nevvveeerrrrr  :o   >:D

It's a cool discovery, but I doubt it's going to change our understanding of anything.  It's certainly a very "fluffy" article haha

Paleogene Pals

At least part of it was found in northwestern South Dakota. Last summer, I actually able to see some Hell Creek up close and personal. That was a fun trip, no dino hunting though :(

Aaron Doyle

Looks like I need to rename my "Chirostenotes" model.  It was based on this exact mount from the Carnegie but it hadn't been described yet.  A lot of folks were informally lumping it with Caenagnathus or Chirostenotes but it seems it is in fact a distinct genus.  Cool to see it finally get an official name.

amargasaurus cazaui

Sizewise the dinosaur is wothy of notice, placed in context with Citipatti, Oviraptor and Gigantaraptor. As Citipatti would be larger than Oviraptor, and yet smaller than this animal, that would make this the second largest known Maniraptor , which is worth note at least, if nothing else. Not sure that deserves all the press, and sensationalism but it is something at least.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Brontozaurus

Well, it IS from the Hell Creek formation so it makes sense.

And the fact is that the piece was written for an audience who might not be familiar with oviraptorids (even Oviraptor isn't that famous), so leading with a description of how weird they were works for catching the reader's attention.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Concavenator

Quote from: verinnius on March 20, 2014, 01:45:51 AM
Quote from: Balaur on March 19, 2014, 11:39:23 PM

The media exaggerate something?  Nevvveeerrrrr  :o   >:D

It's a cool discovery, but I doubt it's going to change our understanding of anything.  It's certainly a very "fluffy" article haha
Yes,they do.When Lythronax was discovered,I read on the article "Meet Lythronax:T.rex's oldest relative " When Guanlong and Dilong were much older.They exaggerate to make a new discovery look more important then it really is.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 20, 2014, 04:51:01 AM

Well, it IS from the Hell Creek formation so it makes sense.

And the fact is that the piece was written for an audience who might not be familiar with oviraptorids (even Oviraptor isn't that famous), so leading with a description of how weird they were works for catching the reader's attention.
Well yeah, but the tone of the article just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Just seems so over the top to me:

At the end of the day, it's just an animal like anything alive today. Not a monster like this article is making out. Also, how could its claws be "murderous"? Murder refers to the acting of killing another human by a human ::)

I'm just nitpicker I suppose.

Dinoguy2

Not to rain on the sensationalism parade, but this isn't even "new" to most dino fans. The complete mounted skeleton was unveiled over 10 years ago, it's just that everybody's been calling it Chirostenotes the whole time. Do a Google image search for "Chirostenotes": Hundreds of results, 99% of them show Anzu. It's even been on Dinosaur Train!

Unfortunately, "cool giant oviraptorosaur we've known about since 2000 finally gets a name and a proper description isn't news these days, so they have to go with "ZOMG giant hell chicken lol"!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 20, 2014, 08:22:08 AM
Not to rain on the sensationalism parade, but this isn't even "new" to most dino fans. The complete mounted skeleton was unveiled over 10 years ago, it's just that everybody's been calling it Chirostenotes the whole time. Do a Google image search for "Chirostenotes": Hundreds of results, 99% of them show Anzu. It's even been on Dinosaur Train!

Unfortunately, "cool giant oviraptorosaur we've known about since 2000 finally gets a name and a proper description isn't news these days, so they have to go with "ZOMG giant hell chicken lol"!

This is partially true.  The reason most Chirostenotes reconstructions and skeletals look like Anzu is because they were based on the Anzu material.  The actual Chirostenotes material, I believe, consists only of isolated hand bones and is hardly diagnostic.  Other specimens have been assigned to Chirostenotes over the years but not with a high level of certainty.  Before Anzu was described, many people were lumping it with Chirostenotes or Caenagnathus.  I asked Matt Lamanna about this back in 2007 when I was working on a presentation for the Carnegie Museum and he felt there were several reasons to believe it was a distinct taxon.

verinnius

Iguanocolossus

I've been waiting 5 years for this! I remember it as "the giant Chirostenotes at the Carnegie that Triebold found". Descended from Hagryphus, I suppose.

At the Carnegie Museum:

At the Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center

At the Dinosaur Discovery Museum

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.