You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Putting Together a Cinema Shelf - Bread

Started by Bread, August 28, 2021, 02:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Lately I have been parting with a majority of my figures in my collection. At the moment I have only 4 figures, PNSO Parasaurolophus, Ankylosaurus, Borealopelta, and Wilson the Tyrannosaurus which belong to my "scientific" shelf sitting along with my Alligator head and foot (which I recently just acquired the foot). This setup currently takes up a single segment of my bookcase, which I also need to start adding books to it ::) Leaving me with 2 open shelves, and one of them I would like to setup a cinema shelf.

With the recent bull rex to be released by Nanmu, I would kind of like to setup a cinema shelf for it. This includes other JP (licensed or non-licensed) figures.

Some figures I will most likely add to the shelf:
Nanmu Stegosaurus (Green variant as it is based on TLW)
Papo Velociraptor, one issue with this, I do not want nor like the JP3 colorations, if anyone could provide information regarding the old Papo Velociraptor with the brown coloration that would be excellent. I would even settle for the green 2016 variant, too.
Roland Tembo (Nanmu figure that comes with the raptor squad). Issue with this, I do not have a need for the raptor squad. Unless of course I can't get my hands on the old Papo raptors, I may consider repainting the raptor squad or have someone paint them, but this is not ideal. If there is a way to get a hold of Roland that would be great, and if anyone can find a solution to this, thank you.
Jada Toys Jeep Wrangler Jurasic Park, 1:32 scale. I think this is a perfect piece to add to the shelf. Although I do prefer a more TLW based shelf, this jeep captures the full JP nostalgia (in my opinion).
Shapeways offers 3D printed paddock signs so I am considering those.
John Hammond Nanmu figure, although this one is not as essential to me as Roland Tembo.

Future (unreleased) pickups:
Nanmu Parasaurolophus, pretty obvious plus my love for this genus started from TLW.
Nanmu or W-Dragon Brachiosaurus. Although extremely tall/large, I could put this on the top of my bookcase, which below would hold the cinema themed row. Still deciding on this and waiting to see more information on Nanmu's. Hopefully W-Dragon's does not increase in price drastically by the time Nanmu's is to be released.

If there is any ideas on what else I could add, please provide some feedback. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

CityRaptor

Wasn't the original Papo Raptor discounted in 2010? There is one on German Ebay right now:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/185021026547

Maybe someone here could help you with that. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Bread

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 28, 2021, 03:01:33 PM
Wasn't the original Papo Raptor discounted in 2010? There is one on German Ebay right now:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/185021026547

Maybe someone here could help you with that.
Yes, they were in fact discontinued. The only one that is widely available is the JP3 color scheme. Thank you for the link! However, I may try to avoid purchasing figures outside the U.S.

Edit: I have actually been looking through Ebay and the prices of these brown variants have been high. I may in fact just purchase the raptor squad, repaint the raptors, and as a result I'll have Roland, too.

Psittacoraptor

I wouldn't wait much longer if you want the W-Dragon Giraffatitan. Model Toy Center on Aliexpress seems to be only store that still has it.

Bread

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on August 28, 2021, 05:29:58 PM
I wouldn't wait much longer if you want the W-Dragon Giraffatitan. Model Toy Center on Aliexpress seems to be only store that still has it.
You are right, I just worry ordering from there as I believe avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking had shipping issues for that figure.

Carnoking

I had "pre-ordered" the figure back in mid November I think it was. Although I thought it was in stock, the seller got in touch and had to have me extend the shipping time to mid December to accommodate the pre-order. After it eventually shipped (I forget how much later), it seemed to drop off the face of the Earth before randomly arriving like a day or two before or after I would be able to file a complaint through Aliexpress, nearly three and a half months later. Whereas the details are a little hazy for me, it was certainly the most nail-biting and patience testing order I've ever waited on but you gotta factor in pandemic related delays. Plus the timing turned out pretty good because it wound up coming right around my birthday. It was worth the wait though, it's a great figure. Does Everything Dinosaur have it? I know they only recently started carrying W-Dragon figures. If not, I don't think there's any harm in waiting on the Nanmu brach if you really want a true to JP figure. The W-Dragon offering is superb but it doesn't feel like a true JP model. Somewhere in between.

Psittacoraptor

Quote from: Bread on August 28, 2021, 07:11:40 PM
You are right, I just worry ordering from there as I believe avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking had shipping issues for that figure.
It comes in a massive box and apparently the standard shipping method doesn't cover boxes of that size, so they ship it with EMS. I didn't have issues with it, it just took a long time to arrive, IIRC about six weeks instead of the usual two.

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking It's sold out at ED.

Carnoking

Also, if you got the Nanmu Raptor squad for Roland, I'd be willing to buy the raptors off you if my situation allowed it. I need some in-scale Raptor figures but I don't want to have to pay full market value for those tiny things.

Bread

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on August 28, 2021, 07:39:01 PM
Quote from: Bread on August 28, 2021, 07:11:40 PM
It comes in a massive box and apparently the standard shipping method doesn't cover boxes of that size, so they ship it with EMS. I didn't have issues with it, it just took a long time to arrive, IIRC about six weeks instead of the usual two.
Ahhh okay. Thanks for the clarification. Carnoking may be right about me waiting for Nanmu's Brachiosaurus. Again this item is kind of mixed feelings for me at the moment, so waiting isn't an issue for the moment.

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Ahhh yes I do remember your story regarding that figure's long arrival. Glad it arrived, but that would definitely put me on edge knowing that could happen to the figure.

Quote from: Carnoking on August 28, 2021, 07:39:39 PM
Also, if you got the Nanmu Raptor squad for Roland, I'd be willing to buy the raptors off you if my situation allowed it. I need some in-scale Raptor figures but I don't want to have to pay full market value for those tiny things.
If I do end up purchasing the squad just for Roland, I'll consider that offer. Especially since I am looking for the brown Papo Velociraptor (green as an alternative if I can't acquire the brown) for the right price.

Duna

Hi avatar_Bread @Bread
I have 2 Papo 2005 brown velociraptors if you can't find one. Shipping to US is about 15€.

Bread

Quote from: Duna on August 29, 2021, 09:16:14 PM
Hi avatar_Bread @Bread
I have 2 Papo 2005 brown velociraptors if you can't find one. Shipping to US is about 15€.
Thank you, just sent you a pm.

KeU

Bread

Thanks for the links avatar_KeU @KeU
I am not a fan of Fallen Kingdom, so I'll definitely skip out on the Carnotaurus. The rex looks great though, so I may consider it. I am shocked on the prices though, would think they would be over $200 since they are made by Prime 1 Studio. I wonder how the Nanmu brown rex compares to this though. The prime 1 studio being 1/38 scale and Nanmu being slightly larger.

Bread

Another thing I am looking for: 1/35th scale trees. Redwoods or jungle like would be nice. I really don't have an idea on anything specific, but if anyone's got any ideas let me know. Thank you!

Halichoeres

It's hard to find specifically prehistoric plants in that scale. The best ones I know are the Araucaria trees from the BotM accessory packs.

CollectA's plants (cycad tree, Monanthesia + Cycadeoidea, Williamsonia) are pretty good, but they're in a significantly larger scale. The Williamsonia you could probably fudge for 1/35.

If your town has a hobby shop that sells model train accessories, you can get some really nice plants there. Conifers will be easiest to come by, but you might be able to find ginkgos or magnolias. Because there have been lots of species of different sizes, you could probably get away with some of the HO scale trees, although you'll probably want to focus more on O or G scale. Talk to the shopkeeper and if they don't have it, they'd probably be happy to order it for you.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Thank you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres
I'll look into my local hobby store and see what they got. If nothing appeals to me there, I'll revert back to CollectA or BOTM.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.