News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What species is the Carnegie Apatosaurus

Started by Brachiosaurus, June 04, 2015, 10:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brachiosaurus

What species is the carnegie Apatosaurus, or is it a Brontosaurus now?

Pachyrhinosaurus

I would say its A. louisae, therefore not brontosaurus, as that is the species on exhibit at the Carnegie. Maybe it will say in my book.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

John

It was Apatosaurus louisae.So are both of the Wild Safari ones. The ones that I can think of that may be called "Brontosaurus" now (as I understand it,the jury is still out on the issue of whether Brontosaurus is actually a species of Apatosaurus or not) would be the Invicta one from 1987 and the Tyco one for the "Dino Riders" line. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Tapejara1122

Is brontosaurus a dinosaur? Ive heard that a sauropod was found with partial fossils found and another sauropods skull and other pieces were used to fill it in. And thus brontosaurus was born.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

CityRaptor

Haven't you read the news? Brontosaurus is back.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on June 05, 2015, 07:35:49 AM
Is brontosaurus a dinosaur? Ive heard that a sauropod was found with partial fossils found and another sauropods skull and other pieces were used to fill it in. And thus brontosaurus was born.
No, the Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus issue is not related to the skull mix-up.

A sauropod skeleton was found by Marsh who named it Brontosaurus excelsus. This was during the "Bone Wars" period of paleontology and so there was a lot of rivalry between him and Edward Cope. They would use any excuse to name new dinosaurs.

It was then argued that Brontosaurus was really just a species of Apatosaurus, so it was renamed to Apatosaurus excelsus. Apatosaurus was published first so it gets priority.

However, it has now been decided that "Apatosaurus excelsus" is different enough from other Apatosaurines that it warrants its own genus. And so, Brontosaurus is back. That's the quick and dirty answer, as I understand it.

Halichoeres

Tyrantqueen pretty much nailed it. One cladistic analysis found that A. excelsus clusters with other diplodicids better than it clusters with A. louisae, and because we like genera to be monophyletic if humanly possible, they removed excelsus from Apatosaurus. We'll see if it holds up.

Tapejara, I think what you're referring to is the reconstructions of Brontosaurus, which, yes, often had a diplodocid body with a Camarasaurus head glued on. So definitely the popular conception of Brontosaurus was a chimaera.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tapejara1122

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 05, 2015, 01:17:16 PM
Quote from: Tapejara1122 on June 05, 2015, 07:35:49 AM
No, the Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus issue is not related to the skull mix-up.

A sauropod skeleton was found by Marsh who named it Brontosaurus excelsus. This was during the "Bone Wars" period of paleontology and so there was a lot of rivalry between him and Edward Cope. They would use any excuse to name new dinosaurs.

It was then argued that Brontosaurus was really just a species of Apatosaurus, so it was renamed to Apatosaurus excelsus. Apatosaurus was published first so it gets priority.

However, it has now been decided that "Apatosaurus excelsus" is different enough from other Apatosaurines that it warrants its own genus. And so, Brontosaurus is back. That's the quick and dirty answer, as I understand it.

Thanks for clearing it up guys, it seems I need catch up with my news.  :))

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.