News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Megaraptor a Tyrannosauroid?

Started by Yutyrannus, June 25, 2014, 11:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

There has been debate about this before this, so this is very interesting. I am unsure however which side to be on.

Takama

does this also mean that Australovenator Is a Tyrannosaur As well?

Think about it.   Australovenator was regarded as a close relative to Megaraptor, and there's not much skull material for it.

Yutyrannus

Probably, perhaps they are both relatives of Dryptosaurus.

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 26, 2014, 03:38:17 AM
Probably, perhaps they are both relatives of Dryptosaurus.

If they are tyrannosaurs, then they would be relatives of Dryptosaurus.

Takama

according to Thomas Holtz, all members of Megaraptora  are supposed to be in Tyrannosauroidea

Blade-of-the-Moon

So that would put it in with Dryptosaurus as mentioned and Appalahiosaurus , then also Australovenator. That would explain Yutyrannus to me personally a bit more as all these animals seem to be very similar.

Yutyrannus

In case anyone else hasn't seen this yet, here's the skull:

Balaur

That looks suspiciously like a tyrannosaur. I think now that they are tyrannosaurs.

Yutyrannus

Same here. It actually says that the front teeth are D-shaped in cross-section.

Brontozaurus

Interesting if true. There's a hip bone from Dinosaur Cove in Australia that has been proposed to be from a tyrannosaur; this could lend some support to that hypothesis.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 30, 2014, 07:37:04 PM

Just to be clear, the drawing is the juvi Megaraptor. The photo skull below it is Dilong, for comparison. http://paleonerdish.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/the-megaraptor-mystery/comment-page-1/
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SpartanSquat

Very interesting. Probably they are related to Dryptosaurids. But why these last have three fingers and the westerns only had 2?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 01, 2014, 12:53:55 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 30, 2014, 07:37:04 PM

Just to be clear, the drawing is the juvi Megaraptor. The photo skull below it is Dilong, for comparison. http://paleonerdish.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/the-megaraptor-mystery/comment-page-1/
Oh, I know.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.