News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Use of Profanity

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, January 16, 2015, 11:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I keep seeing people throwing out profanity in their comments, despite the fact we know kids are accessing the boards as well. I just wonder if its the "cool Factor" making people swear in the forum or just why its necessary....but even some of the tamer words in a profanity list just should not be tossed around in here...I know people whos kids use this forum and I just cannot understand the need to continue doing it.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 16, 2015, 11:04:12 PM
I keep seeing people throwing out profanity in their comments, despite the fact we know kids are accessing the boards as well. I just wonder if its the "cool Factor" making people swear in the forum or just why its necessary....but even some of the tamer words in a profanity list just should not be tossed around in here...I know people whos kids use this forum and I just cannot understand the need to continue doing it.

perhaps the admins could use the bad-word filter like on the original board? Then it just kind of makes bad words go away. Plus, it was funny when it turned 'saltwater' into something completely different. And I won't say why or how.

Also, it's unfortunately the Internet--profanity is often used as a sentence modifier to make up for the lack of emotional resonance through facial expression and body language, in a way that cartoon emoticons often fail to do. Not saying it's right or not, it's just how things are.

DinoToyForum

Swearing is against the forum rules, so if you see it please flag it.  :)

Takama

SO i will get in trouble for saying Kick @$$ :-[

SBell

Quote from: Takama on January 17, 2015, 12:41:59 AM
SO i will get in trouble for saying Kick @$$ :-[

Not if you are referring to donkeys that use their feet for weapons.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.