News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection strategy

Started by laticauda, March 30, 2015, 11:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laticauda

As with many of you, when I received the news that Carnegie line was being discontinued, many different thought and emotions raced through me.  Once I calmed down, there was a new thought, what should I get, and do I wait and be patient, or shell out every cent possible to buy all that I can get.  Personally, I have always  collected the Carnegie line, but I never needed or wanted the entire set.  As with everything, I just get the ones I like and forget the rest.  The problem, there are always those couple of models that are on the fence.  What to do?   Now that the Carnegie line is no more, do I go after the ones I have been on the fence on, or just not worry about it?  I'll be honest, the day after I learned, I quickly spent a couple dollars for the 2012 Brachiosaurus and a others few that I have been on the fence about.  I was lucky and found them all at a discounted low price.  What can I say, I like bargains! 

I think I am going to try and remain calm, and stick to my patient bargain shopping strategy.  I am curious to what the rest of the community is thinking and doing about adding to, or not adding to their own collection now that the line has ended. 

DinoLord

Given that the old Carnegie figures that have been retired for over a decade are still pretty widely available for reasonable or even low prices on eBay, I wouldn't be concerned about a mad rush to grab them all. Heck, even the very first ones from the 1980s don't sell for all too much when available.

Gwangi

I'm not a Carnegie completest and don't intend to become one now, there are just some models I really don't like! I also felt the urge to buy all the ones I still wanted but honestly most of these models have been in production long enough that we don't really need to break bank in a mad rush to get them. Deals will still pop up, I'm also a bargain hunter and this won't change that.

docronnie

I don't buy on Ebay as frequent as before, well .... very rarely nowadays.  I get my Carnegies whenever they're available here in my country.  Since I am a casual dinosaur toy collector, I just get what appears and hope they are interesting.  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tanystropheus

I picked up the Carnegie Velociraptor because I had a feeling that it might be limited supply....then I picked up one Carnegie that I always wanted to get but never got around to it (e.g. Cryolophosaurus). I still need to pick up a few more. I think it might be a good strategy to pick up some of the recent ones from 2015 and 2014 and then individually select pieces based on personal preference.

P.S: The Carnegie Diplodocus is selling for $294 on Amazon US

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Carnegie-Scale-Model-Diplodocus/dp/B0012SCMJG/ref=sr_1_28?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1427759468&sr=1-28&keywords=carnegie+dinosaurs

Arul

I already got the "old but gold" model, the tylosaurus. My favorite sauropod model is from carnegie line, the amargasaurus. I never worried before i heard the news, but im not think twice after carnegie is discontinued then i cross my wallet limit that time to get that amargasaurus because im afraid if the figure is out of stock, now the figure has arrived in indonesia and will send from jakarta to my home in semarang tomorrow  :)

joossa

I recently did a mass purchase of the Carnegie models I like from Amazon and all were at pretty good prices.

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 12:32:33 AM

Yeah, this guy seems  bit hard to get now... and pricey.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: joossa on March 31, 2015, 01:54:17 AM
I recently did a mass purchase of the Carnegie models I like from Amazon and all were at pretty good prices.

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 12:32:33 AM

Yeah, this guy seems  bit hard to get now... and pricey.
Glanced again at Dejankins sales page....2008 Diplodocus is list price 29.00 and the older sculpt is listed fora  whopping 21.00....so....I kinda agree with Gwangi and Dinolord, patience and a sharp eye will net reasonable prices for most of these in the near future at least, they just are not that rare other than a few select pieces.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

joossa

They are sold out of the 08 Diplodocus. It's not highlighted on the list.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

RobinGoodfellow

I already have all Carnegie models I'm interested in.
Still missing the newest Brachio ( beautiful model but need some extra space on shelf) and newest Rex ( honestly it is so and so...).
And the oldest Saltasaurus and Velociraptor. Maybe Maiasaura.
That's all.
Probably I'll complete my Carnegie collection next month.  ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: joossa on March 31, 2015, 07:11:22 AM
Maybe the guy on Amazon bought Dejankins stock of the model for 29 a hit and is selling em now for 200 plus change....lol gotta love the capitalist system
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

laticauda

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 31, 2015, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: joossa on March 31, 2015, 07:11:22 AM
Maybe the guy on Amazon bought Dejankins stock of the model for 29 a hit and is selling em now for 200 plus change....lol gotta love the capitalist system

So True!   I can see that happening.  ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.