News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Extant Archosaur Pictures and Videos

Started by Gwangi, October 22, 2012, 03:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 24, 2012, 02:07:52 AM
They are still terror birds, if you ask me.  ;D Look at them, shades of their ancestry so plainly there, only smaller and more streamlined, but still pretty scary.  ;D

I'm sure snakes and frogs and other small animals would agree with you there. I wouldn't say terror birds were their ancestors though, no more then chimp are ours. They share a common ancestor though and that is cool enough.

Takama

Beautiful Duck

and a local resident named Wally

Wally is a miniature Caiman that is kept as a pet at a Local Restaurant called Gators. He is often fed chunks of chicken, and live fish.  He is the only Gator withen Lee County Iowa, and as a result, he gets alot of attention.    Basically, all he dose is sits in his tank, looking gnarly while everyone enjoys there meal.

Himmapaan

Quote from: Gwangi on November 24, 2012, 04:32:40 AM
I wouldn't say terror birds were their ancestors though, no more then chimp are ours. They share a common ancestor though and that is cool enough.

By 'ancestry', I didn't mean a direct one. I was using it in a broad colloquial sense.

Jetoar

He is a Little Terror bird  ^-^. He is very cool. I like the photographs and videos, thanks for share friends  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gryphoceratops

Takama, we just got a pair of mandarin ducks at my work!  I'll see if I can get some good photos and put them up here soon.

Gwangi

Came across this cool video last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA3LtXnNIto

Also read this blog entry over at "10,000 Birds" about lapwings which are one of those birds that have spurs on their wings.

Jetoar

They have big claws.......... veru big claws........... 8).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Himmapaan

Gwangi

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 26, 2012, 06:18:33 PM
Isn't that just awesome?

It is, kind of reminds you of the alvarezsauridae doesn't it? Those aren't claws on their fingers though, they are spurs on the wrists if I'm not mistaken.

Takama

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on November 26, 2012, 01:43:26 PM
Takama, we just got a pair of mandarin ducks at my work!  I'll see if I can get some good photos and put them up here soon.

Sounds cool.   they are my favorite kind of Duck

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Gwangi on November 26, 2012, 02:57:52 PM
Came across this cool video last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA3LtXnNIto

Ospreys are my favorite bird.  I have never seen them just scoop fish out of the water like that one did in the first clip!  I have only ever witnessed them diving.  Thanks for the video!

tyrantqueen

Gwangi

Gryph, ospreys are among my favorites too. There is a wildlife refuge not far from here, it is huge marsh and both bald eagles and ospreys breed there. I have been fortunate enough to see ospreys take from similar to what you see in the video, carp typically. The times I saw it though they caught me completely off guard and despite having a camera it happened too fast for me to react with it.

TyrantQueen, I always thought being an Indian runner duck would be uncomfortable but they sure are fun to watch!

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Gwangi on November 30, 2012, 09:47:02 PM
Gryph, ospreys are among my favorites too. There is a wildlife refuge not far from here, it is huge marsh and both bald eagles and ospreys breed there. I have been fortunate enough to see ospreys take from similar to what you see in the video, carp typically. The times I saw it though they caught me completely off guard and despite having a camera it happened too fast for me to react with it.

TyrantQueen, I always thought being an Indian runner duck would be uncomfortable but they sure are fun to watch!

There is an osprey nest near my grandparent's house on Long Beach Island off the coast of NJ.  I have seen the same pair there for years.  I have seen them hunt in the ocean then fly over the island(which is really narrow) to their nest in the bay.  Like you I never caught it on film though. 

Ammonites

Saw this video a while back.  Think an elephant's enough to scare a crocodile?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIq_unkQ2v8

Jetoar

Gryphoceratops

for Takama, here is the Mandarin Duck pair we have at my work.  If you think that male is stunning now keep in mind he is just a juvenile!  He will be even brighter when he is fully mature! 

Dikiyoba

Three-wattled bellbird song, Monteverde dialect. It's one of my favorite bird songs, even though I've only ever heard it through recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnu8QbpImWw

(And I'm really late on this, but green herons are fairly famous for using bread and other objects like feathers to lure fish into striking range. They must learn it individually through observation or by accident, because they don't teach it to their offspring. I haven't heard of any other bird besides green herons using tools to fish, though they could exist.)

ZoPteryx

^ A very unique bird with a unique song! 8)

Snowy Egrets have also been known to use bait to attract fish, but not nearly as regularly as Green Herons. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: