You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Academy of Natural Sciences, PA.

Started by Gwangi, August 20, 2015, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I've been noticing a lot of museum threads pop up lately so thought I would contribute some pictures of my own. In this case, The Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I went with my wife back in 2007, don't know if any changes have been made since then.

Outside the museum, an pair of old-school Deinonychus.

Just inside the entrance, Giganotosaurus in all its glory!

You can see the gift shop entry here but alas, I was not collecting at this time!

Deinonychus and what I believe is Thescelosaurus

Juvenile hadrosaur

Chasmosaurus

Corythosaurus

Pachycephalosaurus

Pteranodon

Torosaurus

Avaceratops

Archelon

Xiphactinus

A few marine reptiles.

Wouldn't mind these on my shelf.

Some Theropod skulls.

Hadrosaurus material, the first dinosaur discovered in the United States! I assume this is the original material.

And here I am standing in front of Tyrannosaurus.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I live so close to here and I have only seen the outside of the building, just briefly, once. I did not expect it to have so much. Nice pictures, Gwangi! By the way, I think that is a tenontosaurus, not a thescelosaurus.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 20, 2015, 09:01:08 PM
I live so close to here and I have only seen the outside of the building, just briefly, once. I did not expect it to have so much. Nice pictures, Gwangi! By the way, I think that is a tenontosaurus, not a thescelosaurus.

I thought that too, but it seems too small to be Tenontosaurus. Especially with those babies alongside it. But anyway, the museum is totally worth checking out. There is a lot more to it than what I just posted, lots of great dioramas too if you're into that sort of thing. The place has great historical significance, it's the oldest natural history museum on the continent! Members and contributors of the academy included Richard Owen, Georges Cuvier, John J. Audubon,  Joseph Leidy, Thomas Jefferson, Charles Darwin, O. C. Marsh, E. D. Cope, and Thomas H. Huxley among MANY others.

Doug Watson

Thank you for posting those, I have not had the pleasure of visiting that museum, but I did meet Peter Dodson who is a fellow Ottawan and a research associate there. Neat to see that the cover art of my copy of The Dinosauria is a mural there. The windows surprise me, they don't seem to have any UV protection maybe they have added something since 2007 unless it is right in the glass.

Viking Spawn

Wow!  This place looks like a definite must see to add to my list.  I'm planning a trip to the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh this fall.  I was unaware of this place on the other side of PA until now!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.