News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur resin skulls on Ebay

Started by Albertosaurus, May 20, 2015, 02:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albertosaurus

I came across this on Ebay and I am thinking about buying this dilophosaurus resin skull. Have any of you have some experience with these products before?are the as good as they look in those pictures?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-1-3-Dilophosaurus-Ryrannosaurus-RESIN-DINOSAUR-SKULL-MODEL-COLLECTIBLE-/201332395374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee0588d6e

Also, any idea where to find good resin models of dinosaur skeletons?? Kaiyodo recasts are also welcome!

joossa

I recently won auctions for Dilophosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, and Monolophosaurus skulls each at $20 USD or under. They are en route and I plan on posting photos when they arrive.

Here are some skeleton models for sale: http://www.dinostoreus.com/skeleton.html
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dinomike

That skull looks really good - I wonder how big it actually is? It says 1/3 on the label. Too bad I have exhausted my dino funds!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

postsaurischian

joossa

The Dilophosaurus skull arrived first. I choose the Jurassic theropods with crests because I think their skulls look very appealing and ornate.

Seems like it was packed well, but not perfect. It was a bit on the loose end in the styrofoam. It did not arrive damaged. The only downside was having to clean it off after removing it from the packaging since lots of little bits of styrofoam were stuck on it. No biggie, though.

The lower jaw came separate from the rest of the skull. The good thing is that it fits perfectly with the upper portion. They almost "click" together.
I did notice some holes drilled in the back of the lower jaw right through. Unfortunately, one of the holes goes through the visible lower portion of the jaw. There are some indents the upper portion drilled in, but they do not go all the way through. I initially thought these could be for pegs or wires to display the piece with the jaw slightly open as depicted in the listing photo. The item did not come with wire or pegs. If anyone has ideas, I would be grateful in hearing them. I'd like to experiment and see how i can display it with a slightly open jaw.

These drilled "indents" are on the upper portion and are not drilled completely through, which makes me think they are meant for pegs:

Lower jaw. These holes go completely through:

Size comparison shots:

I'll post shots of the Cryo and Mono when they arrive.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dinomike

That is a pretty cool looking skull!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Dinomike

It look accurate too! I shall be adding this to my loooong want list! :)

triceratops83

I have a Triceratops skull from one of these Ebay sellers. It's nice and accurate. I removed the lower jaw on mine, though. I'd recommend these skulls to anyone interested in a detailed model.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arul

Nice skull, i really want to collect dinosaur/prehistoric creature skull especially trex skull from favorite co.ltd. But its difficult for me to doing an international transaction. Do you order another skull ?  :)

joossa

Quote from: ARUL on May 27, 2015, 01:32:35 AM
Nice skull, i really want to collect dinosaur/prehistoric creature skull especially trex skull from favorite co.ltd. But its difficult for me to doing an international transaction. Do you order another skull ?  :)
Since my space is limited, I prefer figures of the animals themselves, but these skulls look and are really nice. These Ebay auctions have free shipping, in general and they ship from China.

Yes, I got the Cryolophosaurus and Monolophosaurus skulls in the mail today. I just unpacked them a little while ago. Pictures to come later in the week when I'm less busy.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Tapejara1122

Was the Dilophosaurus skull fragile, or was it made of a more tough material?

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

Appalachiosaurus

How much did you all pay for these things? I see them go from $50 to a pennie.

joossa

Quote from: Tapejara1122 on May 27, 2015, 10:18:36 PM
Was the Dilophosaurus skull fragile, or was it made of a more tough material?
It was pretty solid material.  Almost like hardwood... sturdy and durable. The paint did smell a bit, but after a day out in the open and the smell is gone. I guess they let the paint dry with minimal time and pack them up for shipping right away and the paint isn't given ample time to cure. So, some smells are present for the first day or so.

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on May 27, 2015, 10:51:22 PM
How much did you all pay for these things? I see them go from $50 to a pennie.
The "Buy It Now" price is usually around $50, but there are many of these listed in auctions that end up selling for a lower price. I got my three at auction and their prices ranged from $15 to a little over $20.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

postsaurischian

I still pass on these skulls. I don't want to support the Chinese bootleggers.

Dinomike

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 28, 2015, 06:12:39 AM

Oh...are these bootlegged? Oh dear...and I went and ordered one Dilopho skull. :(

joossa

Quote from: Dinomike on May 28, 2015, 10:14:08 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on May 28, 2015, 06:12:39 AM

Oh...are these bootlegged? Oh dear...and I went and ordered one Dilopho skull. :(
I wouldn't be surprised if they are since they are produced in and shipped from China with no word on a studio/manufacturer... Different sellers list the same skulls too. postsaurischian, do we know the original works/artists?

Here are the Mono and Cryo pictures.
The Cryolophosaurus skull is great. It's lower jaw fits perfectly with the skull and the mouth stays open as shown in the stock photos without the need for wires or pegs. It's very nice.

The Monolophosaurus is the worst of the three I got. The color is alright, but pretty dark, making it difficult to see some of the texture and detail. The worst part about it is that the lower jaw can't come close to hooking up to the skull, not even like the Dilophosaurus. It still fits okay, but it's not ideal.

You can see how it doesn't hook up nicely:

Comparison shots of the three I got:

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Arul

Maybe its a homemade ? The original/company who made a skull model that i know is from favorite co.ltd. $20 ? Its very cheap, favorite co.ltd skull price is between ¥4500-¥6000. Great collection anyway  :D do you planning to collect trex/velociraptor resin skull ? I still see the link few days ago in forum ads  :)

joossa

No, just getting these three and passing on the others.

I want to see if I can get a hanging display case/frame at Michael's to mount them on and then hang it on the wall.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

ZaZZU2

The skulls look really nice especially the Dilo.  ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.