News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Is it Wrong to Copy Skeletal mounts?

Started by Takama, July 01, 2015, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

I was thinking of Basing some of my Models on Skeletal mounts of the same creature that can be found at a museum. Now is this as UN-ethical as Taking the pose of someones artwork without there permission?

Like say i wanted to Commision a Protoceratops in this pose

DO i still need to seek out permission to do this? or are Skeletons free gain as there basically the real animal, and not someones Interpratation

amargasaurus cazaui

Noone seems to have much problem copying the Barosaurus mount in the museum of world History in new York, or for that matter the Battling protoceratops vs velociraptor mount, so I think there is a difference between copy and being inspired by...still it never hurts to name your sources of inspirations.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gwangi

I can't see why it would be a problem. There is already a lot of dinosaur art based on popular mounts like Amara said. I remember some years ago Greg Paul made a big stink about people using his skeletals as references and using his poses but most of the paleontological community agree that his stance was ridiculous. Skeletons are on display for the public and made up of the bones of actual animals (or casts of them). I can't see why someone would make a stink over the poses they're displayed in.

Takama

Thanks for the info.    I have a Secret model in mind, and i seen a picture of a Skeletal mount, and i thought it looked perfect. I would reveal what it is, but that would ruin the surprise.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think if you credit the artist or the museum in this case you should be fine. GSP seem to be the only artist who really takes issue with using his work. I almost always use Scott's skeletals for my pieces, but I asked him years ago if he minded and he said he was good with it. Still I tell everyone that's who I use and who to go to.

Takama

I know to credit Skeletal Drawings.

But im referring to mounted Skeletons in museums

Like this Tyrannotitan

I want to use the pose for my our model.   

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't see copying it as an issue. You could always say " based on the mount and so at so.." . If people want to compare their piece to the actual mount.  adds more interest to it.

Kayakasaurus

I really can't see anything that would prohibit using a pose or even a similar color scheme to any kind of artwork or mount, definitely nothing legally. We can't look at reall dinosaurs like you would with Elephants (and there are tons of Elephant art that look the same) , we have to look at mounts, skeletals, and art. Now you wouldn't want to make a replica of someone's art that looks exactly like it in multiple aspects, but I don't think any of us would do that. But giving credit to references and inspiration is polite.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.