News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tallin's Palaeoart and Sculpts

Started by Tallin, January 03, 2015, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallin

Oh, I didn't know you'd coloured that one - I love it! I saw JW today and -sigh- the raptors honestly didn't deliver for me...

fabricious

Quote from: Tallin on June 19, 2015, 10:03:26 PM
Oh, I didn't know you'd coloured that one - I love it! I saw JW today and -sigh- the raptors honestly didn't deliver for me...

I didn't like their design either, but I liked the idea of cooperation and training. That's about it when it comes to things that I liked about the movie, haha.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: fabricious on June 19, 2015, 10:21:49 PM
Quote from: Tallin on June 19, 2015, 10:03:26 PM

I didn't like their design either, but I liked the idea of cooperation and training. That's about it when it comes to things that I liked about the movie, haha.

Glad somebody else appreciated that. All the palaeontologists seemed to think it unlikely, but IMHO it isn't given that people have already been training various species of predatory dinosaur (the top of the size range being quite capable of killing you) for thousands of years - in other words, falconry. And, as I have argued on another thread, it's not like training doesn't go on with most predators in zoos these days.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Tallin

Yes, I have no beef with the training part really. In fact, the raptor were probably the best animated and modelled characters in the movie. Do not get me started on the poor stegos and sauropods though...-cries in a corner-

At least the herbivores had the sense of power and grace in the original films, and were fierce and protective too, unlike the rubber cows in this film...

Tyto_Theropod

One of the many, many reasons I didn't bother paying to go and see the whole thing: lumpy grey dinosaurs from 1960. :'(
______________________________________________________________________________________

Tallin

The thing was, the theropods were alright, the raptors lovingly done almost. The Indo was well done too. It was as if no-one at Universal studios thought that herbivores could be cool and add anything to the story...

Also, the herbies looked like they had literally been given elephant skin, and were all a shade of muddy grey haha

Blade-of-the-Moon

Still waiting for a proper Rex VS Trike battle or even to see one go Rhino all over a jeep.  That's one thing the TLW did, the Stegosaurs fought back to protect their offspring..if only other veggisaurs would cause as much trouble and the critters with fangs. ;)

Tallin

Very true, that was one of my favourite parts of that film! With the old films, they certainly captured the majesty and grace of these huge creatures, and I felt like they had respect for them too. I didn't get that feeling at all with JW.

Tyto_Theropod

I agree, Tallin - after all, the Brachiosaurus scene in the first movie won an award, didn't it? The scene with the sick Trike is pretty awesome too, but more because of Grant's and Sattler's reactions (but then wouldn't any of us feel just like that if we got up close and personal with a living, breathing dinosaur?).

And you're right Blade - I actually feel that if you were running a dinosaur zoo, some of the herbivore species might pose more safety problems than the Theropods! Sauropods would be the worst because of their sheer size. We simply don't have anything that big today. It would be quite easy for someone to be accidentally trodden on, and what's more they'd need a huge and very secure enclosure! Ankylosaurs and Ceratopsians would be pretty risky too (although I have seen some pretty fierce looking pairs of horns at my local zoo and can only imagine how cautious the keepers must have to be with their owners...), and I certainly wouldn't put them in a walk-through/drive-through area!

I've spent way too much time thinking this out, simply because I'm interested both in dinosaurs and in how zoos are run. :P

Tallin

Speculatively feathered Massospondylus ~

Blade-of-the-Moon

Beautiful work there! Always glad to see new pieces from you. :)

Maybe we'll work on an Allosaurus commission soon? ;D

fabricious

With your drawing style you should definitely consider making short comics of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals. It would suit the medium quite well!

Arul

Quote from: fabricious on July 13, 2015, 09:37:27 AM
With your drawing style you should definitely consider making short comics of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals. It would suit the medium quite well!

Agreed  :) your drawing is beautiful Tallin

Tallin

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 13, 2015, 04:16:57 AM

That would be great actually! I'm going through a quiet spot with no outstanding commissions at the moment!

And thanks for the other kind comments too! Maybe I will give illustrating a short comic a go, in the style of 'Love: le Tigre' if you've heard of that. It's a comic with no words, just pictures showing the life of a tiger in comic form - very beautiful.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tallin on July 13, 2015, 12:38:23 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 13, 2015, 04:16:57 AM

That would be great actually! I'm going through a quiet spot with no outstanding commissions at the moment!

And thanks for the other kind comments too! Maybe I will give illustrating a short comic a go, in the style of 'Love: le Tigre' if you've heard of that. It's a comic with no words, just pictures showing the life of a tiger in comic form - very beautiful.

Shoot me a PM and we can discuss!

Have you seen Ricardo Delgado's Age of Reptiles comic series? It's done exactly like that. The early two series did have a more complex story arch. Where the later ones are more natural in feel.

Tallin

Gosh I haven't heard about that - I'll have to investigate!

And yes I'll shoot you a pm!

Tallin

Here is the commission for Blade-of-the-moon! Allosaurus with a colour-scheme that it is safe to safe I got very carried away with!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hey that looks AWESOME! Wonderful color scheme for an Allosaurus!

The pose reminds me of the little Allo's mom fighting off the Ceratosaurs in Ricardo's Age of Reptiles : The Hunt .

Tallin

Thank you so much! I'm so pleased you like it and I haven't actually seen that!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I certainly do!  You really should check out his work, here's the image I meant :

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: