You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pronunciations of dinosaur/prehistoric animal names

Started by Gondwanalandia, April 30, 2015, 07:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceresiosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 20, 2015, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: Newt on September 20, 2015, 12:31:13 AM
We can't even agree how to pronounce our own language...

Does it drive you up the wall when someone says they have a "neutral" accent?
There is also a "neutral" accent in spanish, but we can't agree wether it is ours (mainland) or theirs (South America).

I believe ours is closer to latin while theirs is closer to our spanish from the XVIII century.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ceresiosaurus on September 20, 2015, 05:40:00 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 20, 2015, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: Newt on September 20, 2015, 12:31:13 AM
We can't even agree how to pronounce our own language...

Does it drive you up the wall when someone says they have a "neutral" accent?
There is also a "neutral" accent in spanish, but we can't agree wether it is ours (mainland) or theirs (South America).

I believe ours is closer to latin while theirs is closer to our spanish from the XVIII century.

Yeah, I've heard people from both Mexico City and Bogotá tell me that their accent is neutral, and they can't both be right (although they're both much easier to understand than rioplatenses). I don't think I believe that neutral accents exist for languages as widespread and diverse as Spanish, English, Arabic, etc.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Of course, Latin had its geographic and class dialects and temporal change, too. The plebs didn't talk like the patricians, the provincials didn't talk like those from Rome itself, and Augustus didn't talk like Augustine. So even deciding to pronounce Linnaean names as "pure" Latin is fraught with difficulty. All we can do is pronounce them in a way that makes sense to us and can be understood by others.

At least, that's my excuse for my hillbilly pronunciation.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.