News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Olorotitan contemporaries?

Started by Paleona, September 21, 2015, 09:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleona

I'm currently drawing an Olorotitan and was wondering if you guys could help me out with what other dinosaurs lived alongside it?  Specifically, I'm wondering what kinds of theropods lived in the same area/time period, especially smaller ones.  I'm looking for ones that may have been interested in eating their eggs.  :)  Thanks!

Side note: Is there a website I'm overlooking somewhere, that has dinosaurs grouped by area and time period?  It would be very useful to have a resource with information like that.

Gwangi

Wikipedia actually isn't too bad for researching this sort of thing as frequently there is a section on paleobiology and "paleoecology or at least a link to the formation the animal came from which frequently has a list of other genera found there. In the case of Olorotitan it's pretty vague on theropods, simply stating "theropods".

The Wiki page has this to offer...

QuoteO. arharensis shared its time and place with several other types of animal, including two other lambeosaurines: the Parasaurolophus-like Charonosaurus and more basal Amurosaurus. Additionally, remains from turtles, crocodilians, theropods, and nodosaurids were found at its discovery site, and the Saurolophus-like hadrosaurine Kerberosaurus is also known from roughly contemporaneous rocks in the area.

Given the time and place I think it is reasonable to assume dromaeosaurs and oviraptors were present so you could just use a generic one of those.

Paleona

Yep, I always like to check the paleoecology/biology sections on Wikipedia, but like you said, it's pretty vague for Olorotitan's page.  :-\

Thanks for the reply, though!  I've been meaning to draw a dromaeosaur, so maybe I'll look through the known species and possibly find a match, or just draw something generic, like you suggested. :)

Gwangi

Honestly Velociraptor might be a good option here.

laticauda

The problem with Olorotitan is there are not a great number of dinosaur species known that lived in Russia around 70million years ago.  Russia has not had a high turn out in fossils compared to other areas of the world.  The Amur region in which Olorotitian was found is close to China and Mongolia, which could leave you with many options since it is possible that some dinosaurs were wide spread instead of just remaining in a small local niche.

Some possible choices:
Tianzhenosaurus: A Ankylosaurid from China
Gobiceratops, Bagaceratops, Protoceratops, and Sinoceratops all interesting options.
Therizinosaurus, or Erliansaurus
Deinocheirus: an Ornithomimosaur
Lots and lots of raptors, oviraptoids to choose from, like, Elimisaurus, Gigantoraptor, or Velociraptor (overused but a logical choice).
The big bad hunter on the block, Tarbosaurus
Some Saurapods like Nemegtosaurus or Opisthocoelicaudia (which might be the same animal)

You could even add in a small mammal like Catopsbattar

I am hope this list helps and that my information is correct. 

Paleona

Thank you for that comprehensive list!  I was having trouble looking up other finds from the Amur region- with good reason now I see.

I've already added a small Velociraptor (even if it is overused) and will look into adding some different species in the background.  Thanks again. :)

Halichoeres

Wow, all I can find from that formation is other hadrosaurs and pollen. So, I mean, you've got some other lambeosaurines and some flowering plants. I agree that something like Velociraptor is at least as good as any other choice.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Paleona

Yeah, it's frustrating that so little is known about where and what else it lived with.  I like the idea of adding some flowering plants in... I'm having some difficulty creating a landscape for this one, so we'll see what I come up with, haha.

Newt

The strata that Olorotitan is known from have many of the same pollen species as similar-aged formations in North America, like the Lance, Hell Creek, and Scollard, and so probably had similar flora, if that helps.

Paleona

That does help, thank you, Newt. :)  I'll have to play around with a couple ideas.