News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

anyone know about Starlux?

Started by terrorchicken, August 27, 2015, 08:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

anyone familiar with these? Ive been eyeing some of the prehistoric mammals on eBay, they have some nice obscure mammals, but they look kinda...I dunno, cheap and drippy? I know they are plastic, are they really fragile? also what size more or less do they run, are they large size like the Wild Republic Ice Age mammals and those Geoworld Ice Age mammals? The synthoceras looks familar, I think there's a Chinese knock-off of it on Ali-Express.  :))

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 27, 2015, 08:14:14 PM
anyone familiar with these? Ive been eyeing some of the prehistoric mammals on eBay, they have some nice obscure mammals, but they look kinda...I dunno, cheap and drippy? I know they are plastic, are they really fragile? also what size more or less do they run, are they large size like the Wild Republic Ice Age mammals and those Geoworld Ice Age mammals? The synthoceras looks familar, I think there's a Chinese knock-off of it on Ali-Express.  :))

They're vintage and yes, fragile but I wouldn't call them cheap. They aren't of the same quality as modern models but Starlux figures are from the 1960's so you can't really expect them to be. They're kind of like the precursor to Kaiyodo Dino-tales. A lot of obscure genera that some companies still haven't produced since. Totally collectible, some can be expensive and finding mint condition figures can be hard. I don't collect them personally but I respect them a lot.

Halichoeres

I think all the prehistoric ones are here:

http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Starlux_Prehistoric

They were about the best thing going when they were produced. I only have one, and it's the closest toy in my collection to my own age (although many of them are quite a bit older than I am).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Paleona

I don't know much about them, but I dug out an old thread with tons of photos:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=643.0

postsaurischian

terrorchicken

thanks,  the links are especially helpful. Well they show their age but the variety of species/genera is what makes them cool to me. I think theyd look better if they werent painted like Marx figures. Too bad about the fragility. They seem bigger than dinotales size.

Arul

I love the prehistoric people set  :)

SBell

Quote from: terrorchicken on August 27, 2015, 11:51:48 PM
thanks,  the links are especially helpful. Well they show their age but the variety of species/genera is what makes them cool to me. I think theyd look better if they werent painted like Marx figures. Too bad about the fragility. They seem bigger than dinotales size.

They are bigger than dinotales, and their sizes vary, but there is no scale. Of all of the Starlux, the dinosaurs are probably the weakest. I have most of the obscure figures, and they are great. Even though they are rougher sculpts and paint jobs, there is a definite personality inherent to them (like, say, Invicta dinos) as opposed to the derpy feeling of current Schleich dinos (all polish, no purpose).

The material they are made of is a plaster and glue ridiculousness, so yeah, finding unbroken ones is really hard, especially ones with tusks, trunks or antlers.

I think all of the ones I have are here assuming that the link works. My prizes are the prehistoric fish and Synthetoceros (2 versions--one complete, one with antlers that are replaced by sculpted pronghorn antler!)

DC

I always thought they had an Inpro style.  Sort of the European alternative to Marx.  Some of the non dinosaurs are still valid.

Here are pics from the last of the product lists they issues.  Molds may still be good.  The company was best know for its military figures.

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/starlux1.htm

This does not show a couple of the older figures that were replaces the mammoth and sauropods.  The was also a very rare mini set.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

terrorchicken

yeah thats the thing, Im interested in the alticamelus and synthetoceras(Ive found a few on Ebay that look in good shape) but I worry how they'll fair during shipping with those thin horns and necks...
I love Invictas and they do have a similar retro-cool feel to them.