News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Enter the Night Maw

Started by Night Maw, October 14, 2016, 07:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Maw

Hi, longtime lurker here, have a decent collection that I thought I might as well show off. Some context; I live in a small town in the English countryside, worst still East Anglia, where there is a huge lack of palaeontology in my area and the only dinosaur models sold are either chinasaurs, Schleich, or rarer still Papo. A lot of this has been collected recently from online sources thankfully.

I'll start with the couple of Pegasus Hobbies models I own...

20161014_142039 by J G, on Flickr

I'll get round to painting this piece eventually.

20161014_142104 by J G, on Flickr

This Great White is going to serve as a stand in for Megalodon in my collection.

20161014_142131 by J G, on Flickr

Lined across this cabinet top are some rock samples from the Isle of Skye (two of them contain fossils of Gryphaea) and a plaster cast of Baryonyx's claw, obtained at the Isle of Wight.

20161014_142143 by J G, on Flickr

Here is my fossil cabinet, which are all genuine except for the dinosaur teeth in the centre.

20161014_142209 by J G, on Flickr

Included with some trilobite and ammonite specimens is the Safari Ammonite, just to give normal people an idea of what these things actually are.

20161014_142231 by J G, on Flickr

Here are some Ammonite specimens I actually obtained myself from Lyme Regis - procured and dug out on the beach by myself. The image doesn't represent them well, but I found a good variety of sizes and a belemnite. Next to them is a Phacopid Trilobite I bought from that same brilliant town and a Cretaceous/Palaeogene volcanic rock from Canada.

20161014_142306 by J G, on Flickr

The dinosaur teeth there are replicas, but the Megalodon tooth, Mosasaur tooth and Ichthyosaur vertebra are real. Obtained in Lyme Regis too.

20161014_142326 by J G, on Flickr

The Cambrian Explosion (sans Charniodiscus). Includes the Safari Cambrian Toob, Tedco Cambrian models and the Favorite Anomalocaris.

20161014_142350 by J G, on Flickr

And the rest of my fossils. Huge ammonites and a mosasaur tooth.

Moving on to the meat of the collection...

20161014_142501 by J G, on Flickr

The Tamiya Brachiosaurus, undercoated. Again I will get around to painting it someday.

20161014_142538 by J G, on Flickr

The Carnegie Diplodocus was too long for my cabinets so has to stay out, and he is at least joined by Dimetrodon and Apatosaurus pencil sharpeners.

20161014_142603 by J G, on Flickr

Some of my palaeo literature. I've had most of these books ever since I was a really young boy. They've aged well.

20161014_142613 by J G, on Flickr

More books. That bloody huge Brusatte piece is an amazing read but ruins the order of the bookcase lol.

20161014_142723 by J G, on Flickr

The CollectA Daxiatitan also couldn't fit where I wanted it to, so I left him out.

20161014_142757 by J G, on Flickr

The JP Diecast figurines. Had them since they came out, and the chipped paint shows that.

More to come soon!

Lanthanotus

Nice collection,... and welcome to the forum :)

Archinto

What an awesome collection! Really loving the fossils, wish i had more. Looking forward to seeing what delights you have to show us! Youve got a lot of really nice figures. Ive got the jp diecasts too. They are cool, i dont think people give them enough credit.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Night Maw

Here's part 2. We'll start off the cheeky Chap Mei I picked up in a charity shop for £1.80

20161014_142836 by J G, on Flickr

Alright, here's the first cabinet. The top shelf is all Tamiya models I have assembled but yet to paint (huge backlog, but I can't help myself...)

From left to right - Pterosaurs (Nyctosaurus?), Chasmosaurus + young, T-Rex + young, 6 Velociraptors, young Brachiosaurus, Oviraptor, Hypsilophodon, Archaeopteryx (barely visible), crocodile, Triceratops and Parasaurolophus + young.

20161014_142939 by J G, on Flickr

The beautiful Invicta line, each monochrome one. This was the line that got me into dinosaur collecting when I was 5 or so years old. These models really resonate with me, and despite being fairly common collectables back in the day, they are the crown jewels of my collection.

20161014_144032 by J G, on Flickr

The Playmobil prehistorics, another brand that peaked my interest in animals. From left to right - Triceratops + young, 3 Velociraptors, Tyrannosaurus, Deinonychus, Spinosaurus + young, Kuehneosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Saichania, Stegosaurus, Dimetrodon, Pteranodon, Mammoth + young and 2 Smilodons.

20161014_144049 by J G, on Flickr

The Toyway WWD line, missing Liopleurodon and Leaellynasaura.

20161014_144058 by J G, on Flickr

The PNSO Basilosaurus. Waited 4 weeks to receive it, was absolutely worth the wait.

20161014_143220 by J G, on Flickr

20161014_143138 by J G, on Flickr

Will post a part 3 soon

Night Maw

Quote from: Archinto on October 14, 2016, 07:38:54 PM
What an awesome collection! Really loving the fossils, wish i had more. Looking forward to seeing what delights you have to show us! Youve got a lot of really nice figures. Ive got the jp diecasts too. They are cool, i dont think people give them enough credit.

Thank you very much! I couldn't recommend Lyme Regis more than enough for those looking for fossils. And I've got a few more delights haha, but not nearly as impressive as yours Archinto ;)

I agree about the JP diecasts - just wish I had treated them better as a child! Just need the Brachiosaurus, Velociraptor, Iguanodon and Plesiosaurus I think.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 14, 2016, 07:37:19 PM

Thank you very much! I look forward to participating

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum! Nice collection too, looking forward to part 3  :D

UK

Quote from: Night Maw on October 14, 2016, 08:00:27 PM
Quote from: Archinto on October 14, 2016, 07:38:54 PM

Thank you very much! I couldn't recommend Lyme Regis more than enough for those looking for fossils. And I've got a few more delights haha, but not nearly as impressive as yours Archinto ;)

I agree about the JP diecasts - just wish I had treated them better as a child! Just need the Brachiosaurus, Velociraptor, Iguanodon and Plesiosaurus I think.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 14, 2016, 07:37:19 PM

Thank you very much! I look forward to participating

Really love it along the road at Lyme. Must grab some time down there and / or Charmouth soon.

Welcome to the forum and a great collection too.

Silvanusaurus

Hello, and welcome. Congratulations on having the coolest possible title for your introductory thread, I had no idea what to expect, though the content is not quite as nightmarish as I had envisioned.

Night Maw

Thanks for the input guys! I wish Lyme wasn't 5 hours drive away from me, I'd be down there all the time otherwise haha

Anyway, here is part 3

Here is another cabinet which has the rest of my dino figurines. Here are Lego's efforts on the prehistoric scene. From left to right; Tyrannosaurus, Ostriches, Velociraptor, a crocodile, Brachiosaurus, Triceratops, Pteranodon, Coelophysis, Dilophosaurus, Stegosaurus and Mosasaurus, with Styracosaurus and another T Rex and Triceratops in the background

20161014_143505 by J G, on Flickr

The Mesozoic seas. Mix of Favorite, CollectA, Wild Safari, Papo, TedCo and Carnegie.

20161014_143536 by J G, on Flickr

Formerly the Pterosaur shelf, now due to lack of space has been invaded by Palaeozoic fishes. Mix of Safari, TedCo, Papo, CollectA, Schleich and Favorite.

20161014_143605 by J G, on Flickr

A shelf with random bits. It has some Palaeozoic terrestrial animals, Cenozoic animals, crocodiles and a Rebor Compsognathus.

20161014_143634 by J G, on Flickr

Originally dedicated to Tyrannosaurs, now has Sauropods and some smaller Theropods crammed in there.

20161014_143709 by J G, on Flickr

One of my favourite models, the Battat Tyrannosaurus, is too well hidden for the camera to pick up on.

20161014_143740 by J G, on Flickr

A shelf full of herbivores. Personal favourites are the Battat Parasaurolophus and Bullyland Lambeosaurus.

20161014_143801 by J G, on Flickr

20161014_143821 by J G, on Flickr

Then we have the carnivore shelf. Battat, CollectA, Papo and Schleich galore

20161014_143856 by J G, on Flickr

20161014_143921 by J G, on Flickr

20161014_143939 by J G, on Flickr

And here's a deep tub of all my childhood dinosaurs, with a big mix of Jurassic Park figures, Safari, AAA, UKRD and a load of other chinasaurs. The real gem there is the Tyco Pteranodon. You press a button down and the wings flap.

20161014_144724 by J G, on Flickr

A big Lego T-Rex. Currently disassembled so this is an old picture.

dino 01 by J G, on Flickr

And to round everything up, here's a huge piece - a replica (not to scale) of a T-Rex skull. Got it for £100 at a special shop called 'Here be Dragons' in Norwich which sells dinosaur sculptures, fossils as well as Papo, Schleich and even Carnegie models. I recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone in the area.

IMAG0842 by J G, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Pachyrhinosaurus

You have a wonderful assortment of prehistoric goodies, but I especially like the ammonites!
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Night Maw

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 14, 2016, 08:45:47 PM
Hello, and welcome. Congratulations on having the coolest possible title for your introductory thread, I had no idea what to expect, though the content is not quite as nightmarish as I had envisioned.

Thanks! Though anyone who has to live with me would easily disagree with the nightmare part :P

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 14, 2016, 09:01:49 PM
You have a wonderful assortment of prehistoric goodies, but I especially like the ammonites!

Thanks! The ammonites are quite something. I just wish more Ammonite toys exist, maybe CollectA can do some of the more uniquely shaped ones like the heteromorphs.

Halichoeres

Welcome to the forum! Great collection. The Playmobil dinos are particularly charming.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Your collection is very impressive!

CityRaptor

Great collection. I really need to post my own collection thread at one point.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Excellent collection! Wonderfully diverse.

Derek.McManus

Libraraptor

Hello and welcome to the forum!
What a wonderfull, what a great collection! I want to see more! Nice assortment, nice cabinets, exactly the right combination of books, music, models and fossils!
And the music you like! Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile, Disturbed  -Ten thousand fists, these are records I have, too and which I love very much.
To put it bluntly:
Great stuff, can´t wait to see more !

sauroid

great collection. and we amost have the same taste in music altho i veer towards the more darkwave, electro-industrial and classic goth rock style.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.