News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Artwork Chimeras?

Started by Takama, January 25, 2016, 01:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Ok i want to commission a Dinosaur, a small Dinosaur.  A dinosaur that no companey has done justice for thanks to a Certain Film Franchise

It will be a Compy, Now i wish to have someone (i will not say who as of yet) make a Little Compy in 1:30 Scale, but i will be borrowing elements from Three diffrent art sources

It will be posed like this

FEatherd like this

And colored like this

Now is it wrong to borrow elements from multiple Sources of Paleoart both good and Bad?    I dont know who made the following, but when i show the final model off, will it be enough for me to show these works as the inspiration for the model?

AcroSauroTaurus

I don't think theres anything wrong with that. When I color a drawing I google search the animal (lets say, compsognathus) then I look for a coloration I like that someone else did, and use that coloration. Sometimes I'll add to the coloration to make it not look exact. But, yah, I see no problem with it.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Rain

Well you aren't really stealing their work, just taking inspiration from it so I don't really see an issue though. You should still probably try to figure out who created those 3 so you can credit them

Blade-of-the-Moon

is there proof of feathering on compsognathus yet? just curious.

Takama

Well Scirumimus is a coelurosaurian Theropod of uncertain affinities, and its clearly featherd.   In my eyes, ALL coelurosaurian Dinosaurs had feathers

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm ordering some Dinostoreus Compies and was thinking of feathering them if they were indeed feathered that is.  Shame Malcolm has failed me in getting the others I paid for. :/

Sim

Quote from: Takama on January 25, 2016, 01:58:39 AM
FEatherd like this

If you're wanting it to be accurate, I think feathering like in that image isn't what fossils are supporting.  Compsognathus skin is known from the tail, and it's covered in scales.  There's more info under the "Integument" section on the Compsognathus Wikipedia page.  If it was feathered like in that image, I wonder why it would have had scales hidden under the feathers?  Given its relationship to Sinosauropteryx, Sinocalliopteryx and Juravenator, I think Compsognathus most likely had feathers, although not as extensively as in that image.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.