News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prognathodon

Started by Newt, November 29, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamasaurus

This looks great! I love watching the progress on your painting, especially the use of a macquette James Gurney style.  :) it's a technique I wish to use as well for some illustrations, so it's great to see how you're using it.

I really like the strong contrast between light and shadow in the earlier photos of the painting.  The contrast seemed to muddy together once more color was added to the animal.  But since you've made much more progress than is shown here I may just be making a rather pointless observation  :P . In any case, "muddying" the tonal values and not having much contrast between light and shadow is a big weakness of mine, so any tips on how to avoid that would be awesome.

I'm definitely very excited to see the finished painting! ^-^

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Newt

Thanks Mamasaurus! Here's the final:

I never seem to be able to go straight to the colors and values I want; I have to go back and forth and muddle around until I get something that works. That may be why I get along with oils - they're more forgiving of that sort of nonsense.

There are a lot of things that I'd like to fix, but it's up on a wall now so it'll have to wait until I get it back. Oh well.

tyrantqueen

Newt

Halichoeres

It seems that in addition to taking Gurney's advice on maquettes, you've learned a thing or two from him on lighting. I like the luminosity, nice work.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Jetoar

Wonderful paint and really cool water effect  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Newt

Kayakasaurus

Oooh pretty, it looks very nice. Good job!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Newt

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.