News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repaint projects! :)

Started by Alexa, October 17, 2015, 05:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexa

It was much better to take pictures with daylight:

I'm quite pleased with the results... It kind of looks like a more expensive figure! :P. I like how the reddish back blends with the rest of the body; this is one very welcome detail I just noticed in the daylight.  I could detail him more (mouth, claws... etc) but this is a good point to stop until I get more experience & materials.

He smells very nice for some reason; like a freshly-sharpened pencil.

These Geoworld dinos are the next subjects:

The Carnotaur was sprayed with a different kind of primer not specially meant for hobbyists. The Baryonyx is surprisingly well sculpted!

I'm leaving the Carnegie commemorative T-rex alone until I'm 100% confident I'm not going to ruin him.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Tyto_Theropod

I really love the job you did on the T. rex, especially the blending, and the colours are so natural looking. He looks like he's stepped right out of a book from the 80's or 90's.  ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Alexa

Thanks for commenting Jetoar and Tyto_Theropod :)

Here is my work so far on the Baryonyx, I'm quite pleased with its progress...

He REALLY is much better sculpted than what the original paint job suggests... I might fashion some sort of prey item with modeling clay to put in his mouth. :P

I'll  detail him further with washes and brushwork during the weekend.

Thanks for looking!

ITdactyl

Nice repaint!  Your colors complement the sculpt - instead of being garish and covering the details.

I've been trying to put my finger on what's putting me off the geoworld collection.  And now I know.. it's the eyes.

Alexa

Quoteauthor=ITdactyl link=topic=3973.msg118293#msg118293 date=1446780624]
I've been trying to put my finger on what's putting me off the geoworld collection.  And now I know.. it's the eyes.

Yeah, I know... it's the same with the Bullylands; both brands have horribly painted googly eyes.  :P

Thanks for commenting!

Jetoar

A clearely upgrade of thies figure. Tnahnk for share it  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Molesaur

Arul

Great work you make it more alive :D

Alexa

Thanks Jetoar, Molesaur and Arul.

This is the finished paintjob. I do try to get better with each repaint and experiment with new techniques.

Currently, I'm working on the Carnotaur... No pictures yet, but it's green and brown, just like a chocolate mint... he looks delicious!  ;D

ceratopsian

What an amazing difference the repaint makes.  I'd never considering buying the original Baryonyx.  With your work, I'd buy it in a flash!

Tyto_Theropod

Great work on the Baryonyx. I wasn't certain about it when I saw your WIP shots, but now I see the finished product in natural light I have to say it looks lovely.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Alexa

Thanks ceratopsian and Tyto_Theropod!

This is the progress update on the carnotaur; He's looking very reptilian ATM... It's not noticeable in the photos, but the underside is almost white, like a crocodile's.

I'll let him dry thoroughly before applying a green filter.

These Geoworld dinos are great to practice on!  ;D

Tyto_Theropod

He looks great, and definitely very crocodilian. Is it just me, or is he vaguely reminiscent of the Papo Carnotaurus?

J.R.S T REX

Alexa, you are very talented.  I just love the natural brown/greens and your airbrushing and brush touches are fabulous.  Those figures look alive and spectacular!

earth108

Your baryonyx looks really great with this paintjob! :)

joossa

Not a huge fan of the carnotaurus sculpt, but your color selections and patterns are amazing. Great work!
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.