News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repaint projects! :)

Started by Alexa, October 17, 2015, 05:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexa

Hi there!

I've got a number of dino figures I'd like to repaint and I'm curious about the methods of more experienced users from this forum.

As a first project I chose three different Tyrannosauruses, all structurally intact but with horribly damaged/rubbed paint (It seems they had lots of adventures!).

Now, for me this is 80% empyrical and I'm learning as I go. So I have lots of questions. :P

On a suggestion from my boyfriend I used paint thinner and a hard plastic brush to remove as much paint as I could, and this did a good job without any damage to the figures (I rinsed them periodically). These are the results from this treatment:

They could obviously use another session in the paint thinner spa, specially in the leg areas (that's where I was holding them from). But what other techniques do you people use to strip the paint from your models? I understand complete paint removal may be impossible (and maybe unnecessary), but I'm getting close and I'm interested in learning about other alternatives.

Now... what are the advantages of using primer as a base for my repaint? Can I just use white or gray acrylic paint as a primer? Can I apply directly the base color of my dino without primer? I ask because I made a small test with white acrylic and it adheres VERY well to the figures (I couldn't scratch it off with my fingernail), so I was tempted to just spraypaint it with white acrylic as a base color... is primer fundamentally different, as a substance? Can I just use regular primer of the kind you can find in Home Depot, for instance?

I'd really like to read other members' suggestions! 

Cheers!
;D

tyrantqueen

QuoteThey could obviously use another session in the paint thinner spa, specially in the leg areas (that's where I was holding them from). But what other techniques do you people use to strip the paint from your models? I understand complete paint removal may be impossible (and maybe unnecessary), but I'm getting close and I'm interested in learning about other alternatives.

Now... what are the advantages of using primer as a base for my repaint? Can I just use white or gray acrylic paint as a primer? Can I apply directly the base color of my dino without primer? I ask because I made a small test with white acrylic and it adheres VERY well to the figures (I couldn't scratch it off with my fingernail), so I was tempted to just spraypaint it with white acrylic as a base color... is primer fundamentally different, as a substance? Can I just use regular primer of the kind you can find in Home Depot, for instance?

Hello, welcome to the forum.

I don't remove factory paint. In my opinion it is a waste of time and money, especially when the end result is so negligible. I use a hobby primer over the factory paint and it's good to go. My preferred brand right now is Mig's surface primer. I choose grey because it's a nice neutral colour.

In answer to your question, yes, you can use acrylic paint as your primer if you want, but you will not be getting the special characteristics that a real primer offers. Primers are designed with a tooth that the paint can grab onto. However, you can get away with not using primer on plastic if you really don't want to use it. I just think it makes life easier if you do.

I think the primer you would find at home depot would be something you use to prime walls in houses. It's too coarse, and I imagine it would obscure detail. There's also the possibility that it could harm the plastic if you happen to choose the wrong kind.

I recommend polyurethane primers. I use a brush because it offers more control and is less toxic than an aerosol. Other recommended brands are Tamiya and Vallejo.

Hope that helps :)

Alexa

Thanks for your advice! I'll see if I can locate any of the primer brands you mention.

:))

pylraster

I used to try to remove the paint too, but I no longer do. I just make sure the figure is clean. I find hobby primers to be the best, as they really make the paint stick.

Alexa

I decided to focus on just one figure; Normally I'm a very impatient person but considering that I'm largely inexperienced in figure painting, I'd like to take things slowly and more methodically in order to minimize the risk of botching the paint job.

I selected the green T-Rex becase it's chunky and has character.

So, following suggestions, I used matte white hobby primer to coat it.

It's completely dry now and it has an interesting paper-like texture, still I'll give it a day or two.

I think it may be a good idea to make some sketches of the paint scheme I'd like to do.

I hope I'm not being annoying by posting the progress, but it really aids me in being more patient and I'll be thankful for all the suggestions I may pick up along the way. ^-^

pylraster

Nice! the paint layers will be more resistant against rub now. :D

Alexa

Time for an update!

So I went to this store where they sell models and miniatures to buy some supplies for this project and they were very nice with me and gave me further advice. ;D

First, I evenly covered the T-rex with a satinated acrylic paint. It was already that color (Sand)... I think they use it for tanks or something. Then I airbrushed a pinkish hue in strategic parts of the dino to enhance the fleshiness and to give some tonal variation. I really need to get my own airbrush.

Some yellowish ochre was applied along its back, head and tail... I tried to keep an organic pattern. Then the dino was glazed like a delicious donut in washes of sepia and brown.

So far everything is good, but I think I could've gotten away with not priming it. At this point it feels very nice to the touch and is not too glossy.  :P

Dinomike

A very good start you have there!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Alexa

Thanks Dinomike!

So, I had some time to refine the airbrush work; At this point the whole figure is covered with a very even and smooth layer of paint in different warm hues. It's looking quite life-like. It's still not too glossy, but it may need to be covered in matt varnish when finished... suggestions are welcome.

This is the base for the upcoming brushwork... I still don't have the tiny brushes that will be needed, so I'll let it rest for a day or two while I acquire more materials and the paint dries completely.

I need to start thinking about how I will paint the mouth. :-X

Alexa

He's looking very handsome already! This may be a good point to stop until I become more skilled.

I'll visit a flea-market this weekend, to see if I can find more beat-up dinos to rehabilitate.

:P

Kayakasaurus

Good job! I hope you find some neat Dinos!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Alexa

Thanks Kayakasaurus and Jetoar.

The next one will be the Bullyland Rex, which has a very interesting rubbery consistency.

This one will be mostly green, I think. I mixed acrylic ochre yellow with a dab of hooker's green  and obtained a lovely avocado like hue.

It took the paint very well, even without priming, I also find notable that it balances very well despite not having significantly large feet.  :P

Alexa

The progress so far... the camera does not do a good job of picking up all the color nuances, but it's a very conservative color scheme/pattern, anyway. I guess I need better lighting.

A sibling is at the back, in its oiginal colors.

I'll leave him alone for a couple of days, to give the paint a good time to dry. :))

earth108

This is an impressive project. The colour scheme is interesting. :)

PaleoMatt

Pachyrhinosaurus

I really like the paintwork on this one. The striped pattern reminds me of dinosaur drawings from the '90's.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Alexa

Thanks earth108, TE Matt and Pachyrhinosaurus! ^-^

I laid down the main washes since the base paint was ready. The figure is not really glossy even though it appears to be so in the photo... I'm afraid I don't have a nice photo setup so this is the best picture I could take with what I have.

The brushwork will start in a coupe of days and perhaps I will lighten his belly and underside, too.

I kind of feel bad about purchasing brand-new dinosaurs to repaint them; these ones were great because they were used originals but I don't have many more. I'll keep practicing on those cheap dinos with a huge seam in the middle and with some Geoworld dinos; Those aren't as nice so I don't feel bad about defiling them.  :P

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

pylraster

Great fix for the Bullyland version. I always found that the original Bullyland paint peels off easily. The paintjob you gave it also makes it more alive. Awesome work!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: