You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Cyclotosaurus buechneri: A new giant amphibian from the Triassic of Bielefeld

Started by sauroid, April 23, 2016, 07:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

stoneage

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Another Monstrum Pluteum (Shelf Monster)? Cool! Can't wait to see what else is found in the shelves!
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

SBell

Megalosaurus

I love it but...
If it is an amphibian... why name it "...saurus"?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

sauroid

there's another prehistoric amphibian with the suffix saurus in its name: Mastodonsaurus.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Newt

Lots of temnospondyls have -saurus names, as the group was initially considered reptilian, and even after their anamniote status was realized, the traditions of giving them -saurus names continued.

SBell

Quote from: Newt on April 26, 2016, 08:42:51 PM
Lots of temnospondyls have -saurus names, as the group was initially considered reptilian, and even after their anamniote status was realized, the traditions of giving them -saurus names continued.

Some also use -suchus (like Prionosuchus). It may often be based on what the discoverer/namer is reminded of, versus its actual taxonomic affinity. We get what they are saying!

Other amphibians are tagged with things like 'ophis' (snake') or 'ichthys' fish. It all just depends on what the namer thought it looked like!

Megalosaurus

Thanks to all repliers.

Quote from: SBell on April 26, 2016, 09:51:09 PM
Quote from: Newt on April 26, 2016, 08:42:51 PM

Some also use -suchus (like Prionosuchus). It may often be based on what the discoverer/namer is reminded of, versus its actual taxonomic affinity. We get what they are saying!

Other amphibians are tagged with things like 'ophis' (snake') or 'ichthys' fish. It all just depends on what the namer thought it looked like!

It makes sense. Of course "Basilosaurus" come to my mind. But why to continue that wrong "tradition"?

How about name it "Cyclotobatrachus"? or something similar?

By the way. I found this reconstruction based on the paper:

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

Well, the genus Cyclotosaurus has been around for like 100 years. This is just a new species within that genus, so they weren't really at liberty to discontinue it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.