News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Sea Monsters figures

Started by Yutyrannus, August 13, 2012, 01:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I noticed the image attachments were removed, are these the figures in question?
http://robbdurr.com/artwork/689022-Sea-Monsters-National-Geographic-Wild-Republic.html (Can't embed the image for some reason)
If so it's a shame they weren't released.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Fembrogon

I remember seeing little pictures of the figures in the news of a Prehistoric Times magazine, and I was totally hyped from the descriptions. That they never saw release was just disheartening.

Flaffy

Ah. So the rumours were true. Such a shame, they canceled this beautiful(ish) line and continued pumping out geoworld quality figures.

CityRaptor

Well, those are nice looking. A shame we never got these.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Halichoeres

Photos of the other prototypes:

Tylosaurus + Squalicorax

Dolichorhynchops family

They still play this movie at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. So much wasted potential.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DC

It was a shame I saw them at Toy Fair, K$M said they did not get the orders they needed to go forward.  I think everything in the series except for the Styxosaurus was later made by Safari and CollectA.  Seems the proto types disappeared. 

You can never have too many dinosaurs

SBell

Quote from: DC on September 28, 2016, 07:22:04 PM
It was a shame I saw them at Toy Fair, K$M said they did not get the orders they needed to go forward.  I think everything in the series except for the Styxosaurus was later made by Safari and CollectA.  Seems the proto types disappeared.

There were also some small fish accessories, like Bananogmius. I remember asking K&M about the models, and they hadn't even sent out catalogs/order materials for them to stores. They went to show, didn't get orders, and killed the line. I even asked if I could get the models from the shows (this is back in the museum days) for display use, but they were apparently THROWN AWAY by the sales people! More likely, some kd has them, and/or wrecked them.

Flaffy

Quote from: SBell on September 29, 2016, 02:19:16 PM
Quote from: DC on September 28, 2016, 07:22:04 PM

There were also some small fish accessories, like Bananogmius. I remember asking K&M about the models, and they hadn't even sent out catalogs/order materials for them to stores. They went to show, didn't get orders, and killed the line. I even asked if I could get the models from the shows (this is back in the museum days) for display use, but they were apparently THROWN AWAY by the sales people! More likely, some kd has them, and/or wrecked them.
THROWN AWAY?! :o They could've made a fortune if they kept it!

DC

A common pattern you see is low end producers or generic distributors trying to get into the figure market with some attractive high end product.  They run into the same sort of problems, the retailers may have accounts with them but that is not where they are use to going for high end figures.  Do you shop for a Mercedes at the Volkswagen dealer? The other thing you see is the distributor / sales team do not understand the market as in how the product is sold or who the customers are. Many times the sales people are order takers they really do not know the product well enough to sell it.  Retailers do not going looking at K&M for museum quality they are more lower to mid cost range impulse buys.  K&M needed to reach out to the retailers and did not.  Walsh was handling the PR and I think they though the National Geographic name would do the work for them.
Frankly museum quality prehistoric figures are niche market that is mature and sophisticated.  You need to know you customers.  They expect wholesalers to reach out to them.  I feel that is what killed Kinto My Favorite in North America.  Battat, Play Vision  and in the end Bullyland fit the pattern.
You can never have too many dinosaurs