News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Vivarium / Karlsuhe

Started by postsaurischian, April 09, 2013, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

What a cool place! These models are very lifelike. I like the gorgonopsid in particular. Usually the more reptilian versions turn out looking exaggerated and monstrous, but this one is quite believable.

postsaurischian

:) Thanks for the comment. Still some more .......

Libraraptor

The more I look at the pictures, the more I know: I have to go there! Definitely! How long is this exhibition going, Helge?!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Libraraptor on September 13, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
How long is this exhibition going, Helge?!

Oh, the exhibition has been over for quite some time, but the pterosaurs stayed :).
And all the rest shown here is also part of the permanent collection.
It's really not that big (what would you expect from Karlsruhe?). If you're planning such a trip to Germany's south, I'd recommend Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Holzmaden and Tübingen.

Anyway, here's another something from the Vivarium .......

postsaurischian

:) Once again I visited the Vivarium where I spent many many hours when I was young.

The first time I went up here is more than 40 years ago and it feels a bit like home to me.
   I always loved this "Stairway to Heaven" as a kid. It was magical - although there was
   no giant Quetzalcoatlus hanging from the roof.

Back in the old days Dimetrodon (and only the half of it) was standing alone right in this corner.
   It got better year by year and now it's a nice trio of synapsids.

At the moment there's a little special exhibition: "America after the Ice - Humans and Megafauna in the New World"
   I love the Megafauna Wall, the human scale figure stands 187 cm high :).

Early Roof-breast-toothed Elephant - Stegomastodon primitivus  &  Furrow-toothed Giant Armadillo - Glyptodon sp.

Mexican Horse - Equus conversidens

Ground Sloth - Megalonyx jeffersonii

Megafauna Wolf - Canis lupus

Settler Saber-toothed Cat - Smilodon populator

La Plata Bow-toothed Rhinoceros - Toxodon platensis

Hays' Giant Tapir - Tapyrus haysii

Ohio Giant Beaver - Castoroides ohioensis

Short-faced Bear - Arctodus pristinus

Neosodon

That elephant thing! :o And I used to think mammals were boring.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

That place look really good, thanks for sharong the photos.

Halichoeres

Looks like a magical place!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Nicely displayed museum.  Thank you.

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures