News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Problem painting Papo figures

Started by waste_management, June 25, 2017, 11:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waste_management

Hi to everyone,
I need some help as i am getting quite desperate with my repainted papo figures. :-[
I have painted quite a lot of them and also posted some here on the forum.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4418.0

But recently i noticed something that is really annoying to me.

After painting the figures i mostly used a matte seal for most of my figures. I tried many different sealers, the best one for me was one from revell that is made for painting plastic models(I tried dozens of other ones before though). After sealing everything was fine and i was quite happy with the result....But, after quite some time many figures (from days to almost a year) started to get quite sticky. Some to a point that i had to put them in a box, waiting for a new repaint. Not even mentioning the figures that i gave a more shiny finish, the result was terrible.

I noticed that the figures made of harder plastic are less problematic but the softer figures like the jp t-rex are terribly sticky.
The problem is probably a combination of wrong colours and sealers but i tried so many brands and none of them really worked.

I would really appreciate some advice and maybe get to know if you had similar problems.
Thank you :)

Reptilia

Your repaints are among the coolest things I have ever seen, sorry to hear you have troubles.

paintingdinos

Your repaints are lovely, and I'm sorry you're having this problem!

I'm afraid I don't have any info that could help you, but I am curious: did you strip the existing paint on the models before working on them, or did you prime over the original paint job?

I've heard of bleed through when repainting models, though I have never personally observed this. I always prime right over the factory paint, but maybe there's something about the finish on the Papo models that has this reaction. What primer are you using? And what brand of acrylic?

Fenestra

Had this happen to me a few times as well.
Did you give your model enough time to dry before spraying on the sealer?
Even if it's just acrylics, I get a better result when the figure is left to dry for a few days.
And shake, shake, shake that can before spraying! A minute or more.
I had horrible results with sticky sealer because I didn't shake the can thoroughly and long enough.

But maybe all you need is a new, fresh can.   ^-^

waste_management

Quote from: Reptilia on June 26, 2017, 01:18:04 AM
Your repaints are among the coolest things I have ever seen, sorry to hear you have troubles.

Thank you so much ^-^

Quote from: Fenestra on June 26, 2017, 12:02:27 PM
Had this happen to me a few times as well.
Did you give your model enough time to dry before spraying on the sealer?
Even if it's just acrylics, I get a better result when the figure is left to dry for a few days.
And shake, shake, shake that can before spraying! A minute or more.
I had horrible results with sticky sealer because I didn't shake the can thoroughly and long enough.

But maybe all you need is a new, fresh can.   ^-^

Usually i let them dry enough i guess, a day or sometimes longer. The thing with the spray can is a good idea i think i sometimes rush it a little and should shake it a little longer.
Thank you for the advice :)

Quote from: paintingdinos on June 26, 2017, 02:06:51 AM
Your repaints are lovely, and I'm sorry you're having this problem!

I'm afraid I don't have any info that could help you, but I am curious: did you strip the existing paint on the models before working on them, or did you prime over the original paint job?

I've heard of bleed through when repainting models, though I have never personally observed this. I always prime right over the factory paint, but maybe there's something about the finish on the Papo models that has this reaction. What primer are you using? And what brand of acrylic?

Thank you :)
Sometimes i paint it over, sometimes i remove the paint. i used different primers the last unsuccesfull try was from revell. yesterday i bought a primer and sealer from citadel, i hope these will work because some of my figures are desperately waiting to be fixed :))

Reptilia

How do you remove the original factory paint from a figure?

ZoPteryx

I've had a similar issue with Papos getting quite sticky over the years, with my Spino being the worst offender.  Granted I haven't tried painting over the stickiness, but if I was going to, I'd try my hardest to remove all the original paint and sealer first.

Reptilia

My Papos are all relatively new, got them over the last couple of years, but I hope they won't get sticky in the future. All I can do is to keep them stored away in a colder room during the hot season, to prevent warping issues and paint damage. But to be honest when I hear people saying their Papos went sticky I get a little worried.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.