News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My Papo repaints ( JP inspired)

Started by waste_management, February 24, 2016, 09:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waste_management

Hi to everyone, I am new to this forum and wanted to share some pics of my repainted Papo figures. Each one got a complete repaint and i also "fixed" the tail and changed the position of the head of the Triceratops to look more like the one in the lost world ( I dont really know how accurate this is but i prefer it over the original tail-dragging sculpt ^-^)

first is the T-Rex

Stegosaurus (i liked the paint concept of the figure but I completely repainted this one as mine had a terrible paint job when i got it)

Parasaurolophus

and finally the Triceratops

empire3569

These are very impressive, especially the para. Do you use an airbrush?

MLMjp

Very nice customs :))

I really like the repositioning of the head and of the Triceratops (By the way accurate Triceratops do have tails that drag a bit: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Triceratops-74215980) But yes, it makes it more "Lost World accurate". :)

waste_management

Quote from: empire3569 on February 24, 2016, 09:32:00 PM
These are very impressive, especially the para. Do you use an airbrush?

Thank you :) no just several thin layers of acrylic paint.

waste_management

Quote from: MLMjp on February 24, 2016, 09:36:34 PM
Very nice customs :))

I really like the repositioning of the head and of the Triceratops (By the way accurate Triceratops do have tails that drag a bit: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/Triceratops-74215980) But yes, it makes it more "Lost World accurate". :)

Thanks a lot( also for the info about the tail dragging ;D)

Lanthanotus

Very impressive, especially on the Parasaurolophus, where it's also most obvious.

Just repainted my fisrt dino figure too, to prepare for repainting the Papo Dilophosaurus. Seems I have to train a bit more with the thin layers to get the transition of colors in such a natural way as you did.

Kayakasaurus

Ooh I really like the Para! Great job
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Halichoeres

Big improvements. The eye on the Papo trike always bothered me, particularly.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

earth108

Your projects are fantastic. I personally love the trike and para. ;)

Arul

I love this, you make the color softer looks more realistic than the original :)

waste_management

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 25, 2016, 03:07:17 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 25, 2016, 02:08:35 AM
The eye on the Papo trike always bothered me, particularly.

Same for me. You did a fantastic job on all of them, stego and t-rex look like prototypes and trike is so much better with those tweaks. How do you operate? I would love to learn on repainting my Papos, possibly with such good results.

thank you all for the kind responses. usually i sart with a base of matte acrylic spray paint in the lightest shade of the dinos skin. after that i do some basic colors that i blend with many thinned layers of matte acrylic paint. then i do details like eyes and toes. afther this i usually try to give it a more realistic look with a last thin layer of a thinned down dark brown acrylic. last step is a matte transparent acryllic coat and some glossy details like eyes or teeth. but it took me a while and some repaints to come to a satisfying result ;)

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

kreativtek

Fantastic! I actually wish my Papo dinosaurs looked like this by default. Great job.

waste_management

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 25, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
Quote from: waste_management on February 25, 2016, 12:18:26 PM
thank you all for the kind responses. usually i sart with a base of matte acrylic spray paint in the lightest shade of the dinos skin. after that i do some basic colors that i blend with many thinned layers of matte acrylic paint. then i do details like eyes and toes. afther this i usually try to give it a more realistic look with a last thin layer of a thinned down dark brown acrylic. last step is a matte transparent acryllic coat and some glossy details like eyes or teeth. but it took me a while and some repaints to come to a satisfying result

You're undeniably talented, keep on with your work and show us more! Would love to see Papo Allosaurus going through your make over.

Thanks to all:)

I actually already repainted it...but i did not upload any pics yet. He is my least favorite repaint as my paint sheme looks quiet unspectacular but after redoing him about 3 times and never being satisfied i kinda lost interest and gave him very basic coloration.

but here are 3 other repaints i did:

Spinosaurus ( Jp3 style)

Velociraptor ( JP1 inspired)

Baryonyx ( only a slight repaint to make it look more like the prototype)

Kayakasaurus

Great Spino and raptor paint job! The baryonyx really needed the help you gave it as well  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

AcroSauroTaurus

Spino isn't exactly screen accurate (color wise) but they still look awesome! ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

waste_management

sorry, had been offline for a while. the raptor i repainted was the one with the jp3 style colour sheme... but i removed the paint and made a complete repaint on this one anyway.

waste_management

just got to repaint two new figures( this time not jp inspired) and startet one new T-rex i had been laying around for  some time.

Baby Triceratops

Dilophosaurus

The T-Rex isnt finished yet. I want it to look Jp1 Style and get it a little more accurate then my previous one..

Viking Spawn

Excellent customs!  I hope you repainted a Running Rex too!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: