News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hardest dinosaur name

Started by BlueKrono, September 21, 2016, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 27, 2016, 08:43:36 AM
Like the "J" in Jacques or deja vu, and the "s" in treasure or television?
Jelly 'J'.

ceratopsian

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 27, 2016, 09:25:30 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on September 27, 2016, 08:43:36 AM
Like the "J" in Jacques or deja vu, and the "s" in treasure or television?
Jelly 'J'.

Thank you for this clarification - I'd never have guessed that sound.

acro-man

long English names for me.
I can hardly memorize and pronounce any name and get it spelt right.

In Chinese, EVERY name is comprised of simple elements.
say, you don't have to possess any medical knowledge to get a good guess of the meaning of  "pneumothorax" on the first sight of it.
because it's simply "air in chest"(气胸) in Chinese.
same as "Brachiosaurus", it's "arm dragon" (腕龙) in Chinese.

But I agree with the HARDEST NAMES being Chinese too -
The iconic 'Mamenchisaurus' is actually a wrong name.
Back in 1952, the discoverer stated he found fossils in "Mamingchi".
But, since he had very strong accent he almost spoke of "Mamenchi" all the time.
It was recorded in many reports, then finally "Mamenchisaurus" is kept, instead of "Mamingchisaurus".
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

BlueKrono

I wonder where the name Tseajaia came from.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Lanthanotus

Yi qi? Really not sure how that is pronounced...

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Neosodon

For me the hardest one to remember is Euoplocephalus. It is just so long and bland I had to look it up at least 20 times in my encyclopedia before I remembered it. :P

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.