News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hardest dinosaur name

Started by BlueKrono, September 21, 2016, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

While the diminutive Micropachycephalosaurus still reigns supreme as having the longest name of any dinosaur, most of us had "Pachycephalosaurus" down pat by middle school and tacking an extra two syllables on wasn't that big a hurdle. My question for you is:

What is the hardest dinosaur name for you?

For many of us native English speakers some of the new dinosaur names coming out of China of late are stumpers. For myself personally I would nominate the North American dino Bistahieversor (meaning Bistahi destroyer) as the most difficult. No matter how many times I roll it over in my head I can't seem to get it right. So which dinosaur name is the hardest for you to remember/ spell/ pronounce?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

Definitely anything Chinese.  I can cope with any amount of Latin and Greek being bundled together, but I find that Chinese multi-syllable names just merge into one.  The best way I can find of trying to get them "fixed" is to write them down a dozen times or so.

RobinGoodfellow

My main language is Italian.
The Italian language came from Latin (the pronunciation is quite the same).
So the "latin" names of dinosaurs are easy while the new "chinese" names are sometimes really hard to tell...  ;)

Halichoeres

I also find Chinese names the most difficult, because Chinese contains sounds that as an English speaker I literally cannot hear properly. I grew up in the southwestern US, so I have heard Navajo spoken from an early age (though I definitely cannot speak it) and Bistahieversor was a little easier for me. I speak Spanish so the Latin stuff (and to a lesser extent the Brazilian indigenous names as Latinized by Portuguese speakers) isn't too tough. I'm probably misprouncing everything with a Mongolian name, too, but so far I am blissfully ignorant about the extent to which I'm messing it up.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

I never found a dinosaur that's hard to pronounce.   Yet. 

But once I hear it, I will never forget it.

stargatedalek

Chinese for me too, but probably because I'm so used to romanizing Japanese and the processes are very different.

pylraster

I don't know what's the hardest for me to pronounce is, but the hardest for me to take seriously is "Drinker". :))))

tyrantqueen

I find if you break the words up most names are easy to spell. I used to struggle with spelling Eustreptospondylus but I can spend it off the top of my head by by breaking it into Eust + repto + spon + dylus. It also helps that I remember reading the name from the review of the terrible CollectA toy >:D

Another is Ekrixinatosaurus. Ek + rixi + nato + saurus. Easy as pie.

suspsy

Opisthocoelicaudia gave me trouble when I was a kid.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

Does anyone have any nominees for toughest Chinese dino name, since those seem to be a category that many struggle with? Also, does anyone have any tips on how Chinese words are supposed to be pronounced when written in a Latin alphabet?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

MLMjp

Flaffy

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 26, 2016, 05:00:48 PM
Does anyone have any nominees for toughest Chinese dino name, since those seem to be a category that many struggle with? Also, does anyone have any tips on how Chinese words are supposed to be pronounced when written in a Latin alphabet?
Please provide examples of Chinese dino names, I might be able to help.

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 26, 2016, 06:18:02 PM

One example is Xiongguanlong, which I have been pronouncing like tsyee-ahng-goo-ahn-lohng. I am not sure that's correct. I was recently mistaken on Yi qi, which I'm now pronouncing kind of like "eats ye," which I think is at least closer to correct than what I was saying before.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2016, 07:33:23 PM

One example is Xiongguanlong, which I have been pronouncing like tsyee-ahng-goo-ahn-lohng. I am not sure that's correct. I was recently mistaken on Yi qi, which I'm now pronouncing kind of like "eats ye," which I think is at least closer to correct than what I was saying before.
The main focus of most Chinese dino names is usually the first part of the name. You can (most of the time) ignore the 'long' part as it just means dragon in Chinese, basically the Chinese version of 'saurus' or 'saur'.
I pronounce it by tsy-ong-gw-ahn-long/si-ong-gw-ahn-long. Try not to leave a gap when pronouncing the 'Xiong' part.
The Chinese name for the critter doesn't exactly translate to the english name. In Chinese, it is 雄關龍, pronounced hong-gw-ahn-long.

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 26, 2016, 07:53:06 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2016, 07:33:23 PM

The main focus of most Chinese dino names is usually the first part of the name. You can (most of the time) ignore the 'long' part as it just means dragon in Chinese, basically the Chinese version of 'saurus' or 'saur'.
I pronounce it by tsy-ong-gw-ahn-long/si-ong-gw-ahn-long. Try not to leave a gap when pronouncing the 'Xiong' part.
The Chinese name for the critter doesn't exactly translate to the english name. In Chinese, it is 雄關龍, pronounced hong-gw-ahn-long.

Thanks very much, very helpful!

BlueKrono

I'm sure I'm not pronouncing Tsintaosaurus correctly.

CarnegieCollector

Hands down, Opisthocoelicaudia
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

ceratopsian

I've no idea how the Zh- combination of letters should sound - as in Zhuchengtyrannus.

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 27, 2016, 08:07:08 AM
I've no idea how the Zh- combination of letters should sound - as in Zhuchengtyrannus.
Should should like the english letter 'j', but with a slight 'h' sound to it.
jh-u-ch-eng-tyrannus.

BlueKrono

Like the "J" in Jacques or deja vu, and the "s" in treasure or television?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: