News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

How do you display your collection?

Started by LeapingLaelaps, April 29, 2017, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Quote from: sauroid on April 30, 2017, 04:47:43 PM
right now, about 99% of my figures are in storage bins.
my parents told me, what is the point of accumulating all that "nice" animal figures if you are not going to display them and behold their beauty? i felt guilty by those words.  so now im planning a wall to wall display cases, but that might require the walls of half of our house.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tyrantqueen

Your parents were right, sauroid. If you've got it, flaunt it >:D

...to a reasonable extent of course :-[

tyrantqueen

QuoteMy cat is named Grimlock appropriately

Is Smudge still around?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 12, 2017, 01:28:05 PM

Is Smudge still around?
Smudge finally succumbed to her various ailments and old age a few years back, and I adopted a shelter cat, I named Ziva as a tribute because smudge used to sit and watch NCIS episodes. After Ziva had been here a bit it became obvious she was going to require a lot of time and effort to ...calm and gentle, so I took in a kitten I chose from a litter....and named Grimlock. Grimlock is a now a massive black and white cat and Ziva is a chubby Siamese mix with an uncanny resemblance tooo...yes, Grumpy Cat
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 12, 2017, 01:41:26 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 12, 2017, 01:28:05 PM

Is Smudge still around?
Smudge finally succumbed to her various ailments and old age a few years back, and I adopted a shelter cat, I named Ziva as a tribute because smudge used to sit and watch NCIS episodes. After Ziva had been here a bit it became obvious she was going to require a lot of time and effort to ...calm and gentle, so I took in a kitten I chose from a litter....and named Grimlock. Grimlock is a now a massive black and white cat and Ziva is a chubby Siamese mix with an uncanny resemblance tooo...yes, Grumpy Cat

Sorry to hear that. I'm not a huge cat person but I do like the Siamese breed. I love how extroverted they are.

sauroid

the Siamese and Thai breeds are the most canine-like of all cats. (i own, or rather, i am owned by one). 

yes TQ i really do have to catalogue all of them too so i can trade my duplicates and multiples. it is weird to "fondly remember" having a certain figure when it is just somewhere in one of the plastic boxes. i guess one reason i put most of them away is because i hate the thought of periodically dusting off thousands of figures. that is one of the most dreaded chores ever.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faelrin

I display my stuff on the floor, on this wooden board, next to my bed (which is also on the floor, and where I spend my time for the most part when I'm home). I try to have the bigger figures in the back and smaller in the front. I try to fit them together based on their shapes. I don't have much now, so that's how I keep it together. The mammals (and other Cenozoic creatures) go on a different shelf, and anything aquatic goes on the table in front of my 29 gallon aquarium. Occasionally I'll grab a figure or two from one of the other shelves to look at and hold.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

I would like to place the dinosaurs by species ie the iguanodontids together, the carnotaurus together, regardless of size. As if it were a prehistoric miniature zoo.

Unfortunately, many of my figures, since I can not have them on the shelves, I have them under my bed flexo or on shelves, in some ordered cases, in others arranged in a chaotic and anarchic way. That's the truth. Normally the best figures are of the year that I have them in preferred areas and in a visible way.  :)

I would like to have them as train collectors metaphorically speaking, by genres, times and species perfectly arranged in glass and wood cabinets.

Pawnosuchus

I do remember a thread like this.  I am incredibly lucky in that I have a 3 car garage and am able to display my collection in one giant diorama in one section. I try to keep them in 1-40 scale as much as possible.  They are roughly placed in geological order as much as space permits.  I'd like to think I've created a realistic prehistoric world except  for the overpopulation problem.  I am doubly blessed because my wife tolerates my hobby and actually does much of the landscaping. A video is posted on the Dinotoyblog on youtube for those who haven't seen it.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Most of my collection is sorted in boxes (I have a box of Carnegies and another for the rest, both very full). Monochromes are kept in the bookshelf. As for what's out, I used to sort them by brand. There's still a Battat shelf on the wall and I have my Carnegie mountain in a TV cabinet. Any other horizontal space is populated with figures without much thought into what goes where, just more or less what I feel like looking at until I rotate again.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

bmathison1972

For my collection, larger, nicer figures and those by major brands are on shelves in glass-door display cabinets. Generic figures or smaller figures are in drawers or boxes, unless they represent unique taxa. All are arranged taxonomically (keep in mind I only collect arthropods and related invertebrates). Some of the major brands that still end up in storage are some Safari or K&M TOOB/tube figures, small Sega or Kabaya insects, etc.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 12, 2017, 01:26:21 PM
Your parents were right, sauroid. If you've got it, flaunt it >:D

...to a reasonable extent of course :-[
It's a nice phrase, tyrantqueen.
May I borrow/steell it from you for future use ? :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.