News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Versperopterylus: New "Unusual" Anurognathid Pterosaur from China

Started by ZoPteryx, September 28, 2017, 12:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Versperopterylus lamadongensis:  A very complete anurognathid pterosaur from the Early Cretaceous Jiufotang Formation of China, making it the youngest member of the group.  In addition to it's very complete wings and skeleton, it preserves a "reversed" first toe, suggesting it may have perching habits.  No mention of any preserved soft tissue in the abstract.

Pay-walled OPEN Paper:
http://sp.lyellcollection.org/content/specpubgsl/early/2017/09/08/SP455.16.full.pdf

Only image I could find, maybe a little too bat-like...

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Reptilia

Why would it be unusual? Doesn't look much different than Anurognathus itself.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: The Expeditioner's Discovery Guild (PainterRex) on September 28, 2017, 01:06:11 AM
Wouldn't Anurognathus be the youngest member?

Youngest as in geologically most recent.  Anurognathus, being from the Late Jurassic rather than the Early Cretaceous, would be older, though not the oldest of the group.

Quote from: Reptilia on September 28, 2017, 09:42:16 PM
Why would it be unusual? Doesn't look much different than Anurognathus itself.

The reversed first toe is a condition never before reported in a pterosaur.

ZoPteryx

Couple quick notes.  Apparently it's spelled Versperopterylus.  Pretty weird spelling, I've never seen that Latin word spelled with an R at the beginning.  Even Wikipedia is confused about it!

And the paper is now open access!  I've linked it in the first post.

And finally, as pointed out on the DML, the "reversed" first toe could easily be a taphonomic artifact, as has been the case in some theropod fossils.

Halichoeres

Quote from: The Expeditioner's Discovery Guild (PainterRex) on September 28, 2017, 01:06:11 AM
Wouldn't Anurognathus be the youngest member?

This is from the Early Cretaceous; Anurognathus was Jurassic. This is definitely younger.

Versperopterylus is a simple typo on the part of the authors, which is clear from the etymology they give in the paper, "Latin for dusk" [though I think 'evening' is a better translation anyway]. It's a really ugly typo, and maybe someday they'll get an emendation through ICZN, but for now, that's the name.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Wikipedia is now claiming that the name has been emended to Vesperopterylus, but the only source it cites is the original paper, which still contains the typo (except in two places detailing some measurements). Anybody know anything about this?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2017, 03:35:43 PM
Wikipedia is now claiming that the name has been emended to Vesperopterylus, but the only source it cites is the original paper, which still contains the typo (except in two places detailing some measurements). Anybody know anything about this?

The paper now has a correction notice under the abstract.  Apparently Vesperopterylus was the intended name all along.  Good thing the authors jumped on this, if someone had published the incorrect name in their paper I think that's the one we'd be stuck with!

http://sp.lyellcollection.org/content/early/2017/10/24/SP455.16

Odd, the pdf links aren't working...

Halichoeres

Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 04, 2017, 04:43:47 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2017, 03:35:43 PM

The paper now has a correction notice under the abstract.  Apparently Vesperopterylus was the intended name all along.  Good thing the authors jumped on this, if someone had published the incorrect name in their paper I think that's the one we'd be stuck with!

http://sp.lyellcollection.org/content/early/2017/10/24/SP455.16

Odd, the pdf links aren't working...

Ah, thanks, not sure how I missed that. Well, glad they got that fixed. I have a lot of sympathy for the authors, who have to learn one language (English) to participate in international science, and another (Latin) to coin names in international science.

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.