News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Marx Pewter Dino mini's

Started by arominger, July 26, 2012, 10:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arominger

Hi all,
I found these when I was cleaning my basement and Thought they were Marx dino's? I dont know what they are and I did alot of research trying to find these dino's. Anyone know what they are?

Thanks,
Arominger

Takama

Humph. ???

I actaully have the Sauropod. and i got it as a suovinear from a gift shop.

I have no clue of there origin, and i am suprised that the Sauropod is not alone

arominger

arominger

Maybe they arent Marx? I dont know? Any other opinions?

Seijun

Tim Mee made these same figures in the 1970's, but in plastic. I don't know if these metal ones were made by Tim Mee or if they are recasts made by a different company. The plastic versions dont seem very sought after, so I dont know how valuable these are.

Marx did produce a series of small painted lead dinosaurs called the Elegant Miniatures line.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32269739@N02/sets/72157629253266538/
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

deanm

I got a Metal Marx Pteranodon figure a few years back for the pterosaur collection. Looks like the Merx Pteranodon figure but about half the size. Mine was painted brown.

amargasaurus cazaui

Remind me of the tokens made for a Dinosaur monopoly set, I once had.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Paleona

As Seijun said, the models are the same as the Tim Mee plastic dinosaurs.

The only hint I could track down for these were pencil sharpeners.  Unfortunately, there's no company listed.

I was able to find pictures of your mammoth through google images, but none of the links said anything about the manufacturer. 

Takama

My one and only Marx/Timee Pewter Dinosaur.

Cant remember how much i paid for it.

I also had some of the Timee plastec versions that they were based on. However, only a few survived my childhood.

Also I think that the Pteranodon is actully based on the one from Tootsie Toy.

Seijun

Takama: Just an FYI, I'm not sure if Marx was ever associated with Tim Mee, but I don't think they were. At the most, some of the Tim Mee figures may have been influenced by Marx figures (like the mammoth). The metal figures that Marx produced were made of lead, and were produced about 10 years before the Tim Mee figures.

I see the pencil sharpeners regularly on eBay. I am inclined to think that arominger's figures might be from the same source. The pencil sharpeners also appear to be recasts of Tim Mees (or they were made using Tim Mees as a reference). I dont know how rare arominger's figures may be, but I will keep an eye out for them on ebay.

EDIT: Here is the brontosaurus: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dinosaur-made-out-of-pewter-dino-9-/261049596447
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

arominger

Thanks guys! I hope they are rare!

arominger

I wonder if these figures came together? I dont know were I would of got them but I dont know!

Takama

Quote from: arominger on July 31, 2012, 02:04:10 AM
I wonder if these figures came together? I dont know were I would of got them but I dont know!

I dont think so. I remember buying mine at a gift shop while it was on its own

arominger

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.