You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Riley Black gives prehistoric fish their due

Started by Halichoeres, April 05, 2018, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A basal neopterygian (Platysiagum) gets the star treatment on Laelaps blog:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/paleo-profile-the-fish-from-china/

It is a beautiful set of fossils. Funny that so many dinosaurs known from garbage fossils get lots of toys made of them, but something like this, whose appearance is almost completely known, has basically no shot!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 05, 2018, 05:43:30 PM
A basal neopterygian gets the star treatment on Laelaps blog:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/paleo-profile-the-fish-from-china/

It is a beautiful set of fossils. Funny that so many dinosaurs known from garbage fossils get lots of toys made of them, but something like this, whose appearance is almost completely known, has basically no shot!

Cool. But, no, it won't be a figure any time soon.

It's hard enough to get modern fish represented as more than just generic fish. Prehistoric ones only show up if they're secondary (like the Favorite dueling pterosaurs) or distinct and cool (the Damtoys Onchopristis being a recent example).

So, just like other prehistoric figures.

Faelrin

Yeah it is a shame fish are not made into figures much, especially prehistoric ones (except for sharks and Dunkleosteus I guess). Anyways that is a beautifully preserved fossil fish. I really like the round scales it has too. Would have been gorgeous in life I think.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Neosodon

Well we do have the safari ceolocanth so I wouldn't say it never happens. But I wouldn't count on getting a new one anytime soon.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

The Onchopristis and coelacanth are strange examples, because the former is portrayed as just a bigger version of a living fish, and the latter is literally a living fish not known from fossils. Yes, there are fossil coelacanths, but they are distinct from Latimeria. It's a nice figure, of course, but it rightfully belongs in their Sea Life line, not their prehistoric line. The weirdest, most distinctive prehistoric fish generally don't get figures, probably because most people have never heard of them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Digibasherx

I liked to see a model of the forked tailed coelacanth (rebellatrix divaricerca) myself.  I'm actually surprised we don't see more models of eusthenopteron and other lobed finned fishes, since we've all seen these in our biology and science text books.

CityRaptor

Well, there is the problem. If you look into a toy catalogue, modern animals are most presented by mammals. You got like 90% mammals ( especially humans and horses ), a few Sauropsids and a few sharks, with maybe some extra fish. The much much smaller prehistoric section is mostly dinosaurs, few pterosaurs and marine reptiles, then (mostly mammalian ) synapsids. 

Also look at this chart I found on Deviantart ( It's one of several based on a template that is now gone )

Look how freaking mammal-centric it is, even wasting two spots on Canis and two spots on Panthera.

Fish are just not that interesting to people.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

CityRaptor

Okay, just fixed it. Look how messed up it is.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Digibasherx

I think it's more that fishes tend to be unrelatable because they live in a different medium.  It's not like you can pet a fish or a fish will bring you your slippers.  Probably why household mammal pets are the most popular. 

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 06, 2018, 05:12:15 PM
Well, there is the problem. If you look into a toy catalogue, modern animals are most presented by mammals. You got like 90% mammals ( especially humans and horses ), a few Sauropsids and a few sharks, with maybe some extra fish. The much much smaller prehistoric section is mostly dinosaurs, few pterosaurs and marine reptiles, then (mostly mammalian ) synapsids. 

Also look at this chart I found on Deviantart ( It's one of several based on a template that is now gone )

Look how freaking mammal-centric it is, even wasting two spots on Canis and two spots on Panthera.

Fish are just not that interesting to people.

And yet...Finding Nemo is not represented in your chart (except by a very ancillary character).

I would question the source of the 'data' for the infographic. Some of those characters are incredibly old Hanna-Barbara cartoons that no one under 50 could name; there is not a single horse (seriously, despite wings and horns, that's what MLP are); and there is only one Pixar movie represented (and not even that many disney).

That said, yeah, fish aren't generally big as cuddly animals. But they can still be popular figures if someone makes them.

tyrantqueen

Ravonium

Quote from: SBell on April 07, 2018, 02:05:25 PM
I would question the source of the 'data' for the infographic.

Who's to say that they even used any data? The first impression I got from the infographic was that it was a compilation of the creator's favourite fictional animals.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 07, 2018, 02:21:35 PM
It came from DeviantART...nuff said, lol.

I guess that's why they had the audacity to call an MLP character a 'unique species'  ;D

SBell

Quote from: Ravonium on April 07, 2018, 02:28:35 PM
Quote from: SBell on April 07, 2018, 02:05:25 PM
I would question the source of the 'data' for the infographic.

Who's to say that they even used any data? The first impression I got from the infographic was that it was a compilation of the creator's favourite fictional animals.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 07, 2018, 02:21:35 PM
It came from DeviantART...nuff said, lol.

I guess that's why they had the audacity to call an MLP character a 'unique species'  ;D

I honestly had no idea where the data, etc came from. As is kind of indicated here...whatever. People buy fish models if people make them.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.